IGNORED

Assembloids XE

+Adam+

I just returned to active atari after my mom passed away this november with just the age of 62...

but I was member in abbuc all the years, and so my first steps back to active as trying the games of the software contest. and I reads in german print magazine "return" such of this c64 game with the easy but real cool name ASSEMBLOIDS...

so I started playing this hyper puzzler... and damn! guys! you done a game set me in front of my system here and try to bring some highscores... this games makes really fun and I want to thank you here for this great conversation to our most loved system.

great graphic

huge sound

maximum fun!

thanks

and hugs from germany

markus

• Like 5

Hello Markus, you have our sympathy for your loss. Many of us here are getting in that age when people we love start leaving us, gotta keep going.

Lucky for us we can have fun with Atari as long as we like and Assembloids is a great example of a game to play even in the old age :)

• Like 3

the magic from the 80ies and 90ies is still there...

but we handle them in another way.

and still the scene is that active like it was...

we were never (especially in germany) in the land of honey with our lovely atari computer, but we are still here, cos these things are more than a computer system and bits and bytes, I guess the 8bit times are a way of life, if you were into it, you will be everytime into it.

as long as there is any community supporting the new things, those will happen.

@bunsen:

das neue return ist super. werd mir mal übers wochenende die activision story reinhauen.

cheers

markus

I just returned to active atari after my mom passed away this november with just the age of 62...

I'm sorry for your loss.

(...) I reads in german print magazine "return" such of this c64 game with the easy but real cool name ASSEMBLOIDS...

so I started playing this hyper puzzler... and damn! guys! you done a game set me in front of my system here and try to bring some highscores... this games makes really fun and I want to thank you here for this great conversation to our most loved system. (...)

Glad to hear that you like our conversion. The final version of the game is in development, with more balanced difficulty level.

By the way: James Monkman (aka Heavy Stylus) of RGCD writes that Assembloids "is fast becoming the most converted game of the decade" (link).

adam,

you are responsible for my short nights at all :-D

you know, typical situation late nite: hmm... before go to bed, one short ASSEMBLOIDS XE...

grummel... from this one short to 2hours it is a small step - for me, haha...

thanks also for ridiculous reality, also an awesome game, played this also many many many many times... for deathcase I will tak soon my time, haha!

I think if ASSEMBLOIDS will be released in the 80ies it would be today a classic. it it like with pong early in the 80ies... if you just hear what do to and what about the game, you have in mind, hmm sounds boring. but if you are into the game, you will never stop, haha! you will be controlled by the system, and loose your reality and just play the game, haha! ;-)

nevertheless, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of family members have played Assembloids XE they enjoyed the game but found it way too hard (fast). Please can we have a difficulty option or perhaps another version with a longer timer?

:)

I had a further thought, if you also have a no timer mode (or very very slow) then you open Assembloids XE up to children as the concept is simple :)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Have been playing this game a zillion times, and I'm 100% sure the timer thing is buggy, although author of game writes it's not buggy.

After completing a complete face (1 color) the thing on the bottom right goes low, but the timer is after dropping one or two pieces again incredible fast. The it is not fast, then it is without any reason fast again.

It simply does not make the sense, the description of the game makes me believe it should make.

I do not have the equipment to make a video, but I wished I could make a video. And I also wished I could express myself better in English. I simply am not able to explain it better, so let me try to describe what I see.

1) I play the game. I concentrate on completing faces with one single color. I'm succeeding a lot, so the temperature thing on the bottom right stays green and stays low.

2) Suddenly, I'm still below 2000 points, out of the sudden the timer thing increases speed to almost lightning fast. The temperature thing is still as low as possible and green.

3) I complete a single color face. Timer slows down for a while, but then again it is lightning fast.

In my opinion: as long as you keep the temperature thing on low and green those lightning fast timer thing should never occur. I think a slight progression of overall speed is ok, so the game will get harder when you get more points.

I am sure I have played this game over 500 times now, and to me it is still random. I think that is a pity. If it is random, please confirm that it is simply random.

markus

So sorry to hear this. It is a difficult time within families when this happens. I am in a similar situation as my Father passed away in January at only 67 years old. Best wishes to all the family.

• 3 weeks later...
(...) I am sure I have played this game over 500 times now, and to me it is still random. I think that is a pity. If it is random, please confirm that it is simply random.

I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier. No, it's not random. Like MaPa wrote, it depends not only on the "temperature" seen on the right, but also on the number of faces elements on screen.

However, in the ABBUC version the difference between speed modes seems to be too rapid and we will change it in the next version, which should be also easier at the beginning.

Adam

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Thank you for profound testing, fixed version will be published after Silly Venture party.

MatoSimi reported some bugs, did the update after SV2013 happen and did I miss it ?!?

I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier. No, it's not random. Like MaPa wrote, it depends not only on the "temperature" seen on the right, but also on the number of faces elements on screen.

However, in the ABBUC version the difference between speed modes seems to be too rapid and we will change it in the next version, which should be also easier at the beginning.

Adam

Was there a "next version" of Assembloids in the meantime ?!?

Greetings, Andreas Koch.

Was there a "next version" of Assembloids in the meantime ?!?

Greetings, Andreas Koch.

Unfortunatelly no, but we are close to next release.

I can tell now that there will be not only some bug fixes :)

Sorry for the delay.

• Like 3

Well,

when I packed Assembloids and put it on the Abbuc magazine diskette, I did a final test to see if it still runs fine. But to my surprise it showed a strange bug: the lower half of the faces (the red and green faces in the title-screen) did not have colours anymore, they were greyscale only. When I started the game these two faces still appeared grey. Rebooted my Atari, started the game again - and it did run fine. So I thought, hmm, maybe some data was still in memory and caused this bug... but since the game worked after rebooting the Atari I did not care anymore...

Yesterday I wanted to play Assembloids again - and the bug was there again. Rebooted the Atari several times, but the bug stayed. Switched the Atari off for several minutes, powered on again and the bug was still there. So I thought, maybe there is something wrong with the packer (I had used Superpacker/Exomizer to pack the game). Downloaded the unpacked version of Assembloids and packed it with Code3-Cruncher and the game worked. But today, when I loaded the Code3-Cruncher packed game again, the bug was there again...

To make a long story short, from time to time a bug appears in my version of Assembloids and the red and green faces appear in greyscales only (in the title AND in the game). But the blue face always stays blue. Has anyone else seen this bug or am I the only one ? Here`s how it looks like when the title appears okay:

post-3782-0-94368400-1406406486_thumb.jpg

And this is how it looks like when the title appears buggy:

post-3782-0-31832600-1406406528_thumb.jpg

I am wondering, if my GTIA chip were defective, then this bug should always appear, shouldn`t it ?!? And why do only the red and green faces lose colour, while the blue face does not ?!?

This game, once finalized, needs to be released in cartridge form. And hopefully sold profitably!

And why on cart?!? You could easily put it on cart by yourself. The only games that need a cart are these games that take full advantage of the benefits a cart has (playing a big game that wouldn't fit in 48/64KB on stock hardware is one of these advantages).

I travel around with my atari 8bit and I don't want to carry around a lot so I have a myide 2 which is excellent on stock atari and a cart called THE!CART ... That hardware could (and should) be enough to run almost all games. So I wouldn't encourage releases of cart games.

• Like 1

Yesterday I wanted to play Assembloids again - and the bug was there again. Rebooted the Atari several times, but the bug stayed. Switched the Atari off for several minutes, powered on again and the bug was still there. So I thought, maybe there is something wrong with the packer (I had used Superpacker/Exomizer to pack the game). Downloaded the unpacked version of Assembloids and packed it with Code3-Cruncher and the game worked. But today, when I loaded the Code3-Cruncher packed game again, the bug was there again...

I'm not sure if I understand.

Do you have this "effect" when you play version without any additional compression?

I'm not sure if I understand.

Do you have this "effect" when you play version without any additional compression?

Yes, this effect is there if I play the un-compressed version of Assembloids, as well when I play a packed/compressed version of Assembloids. Strange thing is, this effect does not alway happen and it happens more often in the packed version than in the un-compressed version. (All Abbuc members got the packed version, so I am wondering why no-one else has seen this effect yet.)

Anyways, I did send you a long and detailed PM, maybe you can take a look at my different versions (unpacked and packed) and see whats wrong with them. But maybe there is something wrong with my A8 ?!?

It looks like all the PMG disappeared in the lower part of the screen... How does this bug present itself during the game?

Well, (in the game)

in the centre window the face pieces have colour, as soon as I move them to the bottom window, they lose colour and appear only in greyscale. If I move the face pieces to the top, left or right window they do not lose colour...