IGNORED

Princess Rescue Binaries Released!

Albert

Breaking Blocks for "goodies."

If an enemy is on the screen (the other player object), your chance of getting coin, mushroom, star, is 0% (not large guy, or yellow guy), because the coin, mushroom, or star is also the other player object!

Have I said too much??????? :D

yes, now you must be put to death.

• Like 2

Yeah, the manual in this case would probably help out a little for those unfamilar with this game already. I'll make some quick remarks of the game to help make it easier for some of you to play.

Game can be played with any Atari Joystick.

Left/Right = Left/Right

Down = Duck/going down pipe.

Up = Run / Fire

Button = Jump

This game can also be played with a Genesis Controller.

Left, Right and Down are the same actions

Button B = Jump

Button C = Run / Fire

At the end of the first half of a stage, you need to continue on by rather going down a pipe (x-1, x-2 & x-4 levels) or in the x-3 levels you continue on by jumping on a trampoline that will only appear once the last enemy on the screen has been eliminated.

Special items will can come from the basic bricks, but only when there are no enemies on the screen and even then it's still pretty rare. You can get a 4x coin, starman, or 1up mushroom. The 1Up Mushroom is the rarest of them all.

The yellow blocks will rather contain a power up or a coin.

There are 16 levels in total and every x-4 world has a boss battle in the second half of the level.

The bar on the left of the score is your timer. Once it runs out you lose a life. A buzzer will sound when you're running out of time.

The bar on the right of the score is your coin counter. Every "pixel" equates 4 coins. Collect 32 coins and get a 1up.

Touch or jump on the flagpole to finish a non-boss level. The higher you are on the pole, the more points you will get for finishing the level.

These are just some of the things about the game. there's more, but this is probably the more notable stuff.

• Like 2

Oh, and one other note. When you lose all your lives, you can continue at the beginning of the world you started on. You can also select other worlds that you've played by pressing up and down on the level select screen. You can't go beyond the first level of the current world you left off on. Warning however, once you select a level from a previous world, that world becomes your new continue point.

There is a 2nd quest once you defeat the game. What happens in it is for you to find out.

You can get 5 lives by selecting "expert" on the difficulty switches. I did this in reverse because most people already have their Atari systems set to novice and I wanted the extra lives to be a special feature rather than a standard feature.

• Like 1

yes, now you must be put to death.

weirdest thing, at the beginning of 1-2 i got 2 power up from first 2 yellow blocks while the baddies were on the screen??? so odd to get 2 power up, let alone with the "goombas" present. i am glad he slipped the info. i got tired of not getting power ups. Edited by pimpmaul69

weirdest thing, at the beginning of 1-2 i got 2 power up from first 2 yellow blocks while the baddies were on the screen??? so odd to get 2 power up, let alone with the "goombas" present. i am glad he slipped the info. i got tired of not getting power ups.

You can get stuff from the special bricks even if enemies are on screen. Those are programed differently. Don't let them roll off screen though as they disappear. Powerups seem to be random but getting a flower is less difficult than the size since often I'll get both at the same time.

Did you figure out the warp zone secret is world 1, zone 2, scene 2?

there isn't one, made you look ;)

Edited by mkiker2089
  • Like 1

You can get stuff from the special bricks even if enemies are on screen. Those are programed differently. Don't let them roll off screen though as they disappear. Powerups seem to be random but getting a flower is less difficult than the size since often I'll get both at the same time.

Did you figure out the warp zone secret is world 1, zone 2, scene 2?

there isn't one, made you look ;)

im confused? are you referring to getting a coin?? since the rom has no instructions i am lost on what you are talking about with special bricks. i thought power ups meant getting bigger and fiery. i thought you couldnt get those while an enemy was on the screen. they however dont have an item shown on the screen. so if you could explain which items dont appear while enemies are on the screen i might not be so confused Edited by pimpmaul69

im confused? are you referring to getting a coin?? since the rom has no instructions i am lost on what you are talking about with special bricks. i thought power ups meant getting bigger and fiery. i thought you couldnt get those while an enemy was on the screen. they however dont have an item shown on the screen. so if you could explain which items dont appear while enemies are on the screen i might not be so confused

The special blocks give the power ups. They are colored and can be broken, they also work with enemies on screen. Bricks can give coins and stars but you have to be big and the screen has to be clear of enemies.

The attached zip file contains final NTSC and PAL binaries of the Atari 2600 homebrew game Princess Rescue. You may use these binaries to enjoy Princess Rescue with your favorite Atari 2600 emulator or on a real console using a device that lets you load 2600 binaries (such as the Harmony Cartridge, Cuttle Cart, Krokodile Cart, etc).

Well, crap. That's totally going to devalue the ROM Albert sent me to make the YouTube video for the AtariAge store. :P

• Like 1

It is confirmed. I just checked my hex editor. My Princess Rescue RC3 beta ROM is identical to the official release.

Go down the green pipe on the right. Don't worry, I never played Super Mario on NES either.

I thought everybody played this game... :_( Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Interesting factoid: If you play the PAL ROM on NTSC mode, the colors are messed up, so Mario red plumber is purple like Waluigi. Kinda neat, but pointless at the same time.

I assume the PAL ROM is actually PAL60; that is, PAL colours at NTSC scan rates. At least that's how I've set up the properties in Stella for this ROM.

Note that we can't autodetect PAL60, since the autodetection looks at scanline counts, and for all intents and purposes, the PAL ROM is NTSC from that POV (the only thing that's different is the colours).

Thanks for making this available. I own the cart, but I like my Harmony Cart as complete as can be :) Great game btw. When I first played it, the "feel" of Mario was tricky. I was not landing my jumps, thus falling to my death. But within an hour, it wasn't even an issue anymore. Just had to get used to the feel. Great job!

When I first played it, the "feel" of Mario was tricky. I was not landing my jumps, thus falling to my death. But within an hour, it wasn't even an issue anymore. Just had to get used to the feel. Great job!

Ditto. The horizontal physics are completely different from the NES due to the fact the playfield has to scroll in chunks equal to 1/40th the screen size rather than 1/256th like on NES. Compromises had to be made and as a result the horizontal movement is not as fluid a motion, with Mario red plumber starting/stopping instantly rather than accelerating and sliding to a stop. However, Sprybug seems to have totally rewritten his engine and perfected the horizontal acceleration in his upcoming game Sonic Zippy the Porcupine. Edited by stardust4ever

Ditto. The horizontal physics are completely different from the NES due to the fact the playfield has to scroll in chunks equal to 1/40th the screen size rather than 1/256th like on NES. Compromises had to be made and as a result the horizontal movement is not as fluid a motion, with Mario red plumber starting/stopping instantly rather than accelerating and sliding to a stop. However, Sprybug seems to have totally rewritten his engine and perfected the horizontal acceleration in his upcoming game Sonic Zippy the Porcupine.

just as long as his third game isnt "red plumber and zippy at the special olympics..." :ponder:
  • Like 2