IGNORED

GTIABlast! GTIA 9 Background Designer

If anyone fancies playing around with it, the GTIA 9 Background Designer used to generate the GTIABlast! demo is available at http://www.playsoft..../gtiablast.html

Similar to the player editor (http://www.playsoft....tari_index.html) you can run it in a browser or as a standalone Adobe AIR application.

There are instructions and a few example files - the public demo designs, some alternative sprites and an info bar. Basically it is a GTIA 9 combined character/map editor with some basic character animation facilities and the ability to generate a demo executable.

It is written for a widescreen monitor but I've tested at 1024x768 and it is not too bad from a browser window in full screen mode - you only need to scroll to reach some of the inverse characters.

Paul

• Like 3

Thanks - I am really pleased with how it is coming along. By the way, if anyone comes up with some good designs using the editor, please let me know if you'd like to contribute them for use in the project. Can only offer a credit in the program somewhere in return.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks - I am really pleased with how it is coming along. By the way, if anyone comes up with some good designs using the editor, please let me know if you'd like to contribute them for use in the project. Can only offer a credit in the program somewhere in return.

Any chance you could do a sequal to heavy metal or floyd the droid...And how much did you get for the latter game (since i recall it did appear on some budget label)

Any chance you could do a sequal to heavy metal or floyd the droid...And how much did you get for the latter game (since i recall it did appear on some budget label)

I am committed to GTIABlast! for the time being, after that who knows. I've not kept anything from the 8-bit days, so this is all starting from scratch for me.

Floyd was published by Bug Byte after ANALOG failed to pay the prize money for the ST programming competition. I'd heard they'd gone bankrupt although when I google I see it continued to be published (different publisher though) and they even printed another of my programs (which I can only assume was a deal with Page 6, I knew nothing about this until a few months ago). Anyway Bug Byte wanted to release the 8-bit version as well as the ST version. I can't remember exactly, I think they paid around £200 for the 8-bit version.

Please note - to those interested ---- that the Background Designer for GTIABlast - is actually very powerful.

And I just don't mean powerful - but really, really powerful in what it can do.

It does not have all of the features you will want - but more than enough to get the job done.

My desire for the project overall - is to show off what the Atari 400/800 hardware can really do - to show it is a graphics wonder machine - compared to it's competitors. And note - I don't expect it to be easy - to produce brilliant graphics/animation/etc - but like with any other hobby or interest, etc etc --- that the more time you put into it, the more you will get out....

I am always disappointed when I see new programs/etc for the Atari home computers (the 8-bits) that they more often than not, use standard kind of graphics. I don't expect every programmer to be a graphics designer - but if you're not talented in this area, then it will be worthwhile getting hold of somone who could design/rework the graphics for you? I've never worked in the graphics design/etc area - but I always like to see some really nice graphics on the Atari 8-bit software, etc...

Harvey