IGNORED

Reproduction joysticks no good?

WolfAmongWolves

My original 2600 joysticks finally gave out after 20+ years, so I bought two of those new reproduction joysticks that look and feel like the originals. The first one broke after two weeks, the second one a week later. When I opened the case I found that those white plastic rings near the base had snapped. I contacted the seller, who was very nice about it and sent me two new ones. This time the joystick broke during the very first gaming session. I'm just a casual gamer; my sessions with the 2600 usually don't last longer than about 20 minutes, and I don't feel that I'm using excessive force.

I'm trying to find out if this is a general manufacturing flaw or just bad luck on my part. I know that there are several companies manufacturing these reproduction joysticks, so it may also be worth trying a different seller. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any tips on where to find good reproduction joysticks (if they exist) would be appreciated.

The Sega Genesis arcade sticks are nice for something that feels a little arcade-ish. That said, I tend to use my modded nes pads Ax converted for me. You might contact wolfpackmommy here and see if they have any done up. I know he is laid up right now, but he might have some already to go.

I have been using flashback joysticks on my original light sixer. I noticed their handles will unscrew from the base, unlike the originals. Other than that, I've found them to be satisfactory. I haven't opened one up yet to inspect the internal design. Apologies if this has been covered in another thread. :)

Go with the gold rebuild kits from Best Electronics . An atari cx 40 never worked so well until i put one of these in .

i went to their site the other day and they were gone. are they still around

edit: nm. it looks like their site is back up

Edited by pimpmaul69

I have a set of Tomahawk Joysticks, they are indestructible and pretty much the only controllers I ever hook up. I have boxes of controllers and while there's a few that are pretty good, the Tomahawks are definitely my favorite. unfortunately, I can't even find a place to buy another set.