IGNORED

The Secret Is Out: Introducing The Elf-Knight Edition

DZ-Jay

A Grand Ole Prize.

In honour of WispFollower's epic achievement in the Carol vs. The World! Championship, and to celebrate Carol's upcoming first anniversary, I have prepared an article describing in great detail Wisp's extra special bespoke version of the game, entitled...

The story is available on the Carol Vs. Ghost web site, and includes plenty of screenshots, videos and photographs of the very special package prepared exclusively for WispFollower.

To whet your appetite, below is a video of a new introduction sequence animation created especially for the Elf-Knight Edition. It shows Carol Greenleaf in full suit of armour, including a helmet-crown and a long sword.

You can also visit the Trailers page on the game's site to view all four new videos of the Elf-Knight Edition in action, or visit the Vimeo channel directly.

-dZ.

• Like 8

can she use the sword?

Alas, No. It's only cosmetic for the introduction sequence. There are no real changes in game-play, except for the new level, but the mechanics are still the same.

I still liked Liduario's idea of using the Jack-In-The-Box as a weapon. :)

-dZ.

:lust: This just confirms what I've already stated in my recent homebrew thread, dZ has put together not just a fantastic game, but also the most complete homebrew "experience" (for lack of a better word) we've ever seen. I hope his efforts inspire others to come up with even more creative homebrews. Well done sir, well done. ( I can't wait for the Cmart variation collecting edition) . :cool:
  • Like 2

:lust: This just confirms what I've already stated in my recent homebrew thread, dZ has put together not just a fantastic game, but also the most complete homebrew "experience" (for lack of a better word) we've ever seen. I hope his efforts inspire others to come up with even more creative homebrews. Well done sir, well done. ( I can't wait for the Cmart variation collecting edition) . :cool:

* DZ takes a bow *

:)

Amazing Elf-Knight edition. :thumbsup:

Congrats to Wisp and Dz-Jay.

It's not a simple task to get a great game as Christmas Carol and make a special edition.

I liked all ideas too.

Anb I loved that logo in the title screen!

(...)

3) Play with Santa himself!

I can't draw nothing, but what if Carol's hair turns white and goes to her face and clothes are red?

(...)

I see you can draw Santa much better than me! :-D

• Like 1

Amazing Elf-Knight edition. :thumbsup:

Congrats to Wisp and Dz-Jay.

It's not a simple task to get a great game as Christmas Carol and make a special edition.

I liked all ideas too.

Anb I loved that logo in the title screen!

I see you can draw Santa much better than me! :-D

Well, the Santa character only comes in the end-game animation sequence, so you can't really play Santa. The thing is that, the way that the game was made, it was vey easy to add animation sequences and things like that. As long as the game-play remained the same, it was fairly simple to implement.

I would have loved to make the jack-in-the-box "bomb" that you wanted, had you won the championship, but it would have been a lot more effort, and would have required more time, which would have not allowed me to make too many other changes.

As it is, I am very happy with the Elf-Knight Edition. It has all sorts of cool stuff in it.

I really hope that WispFollower enjoys it. :)

dZ.

• Like 1

By the way, the entire Elf-Knight Edition was implemented in just three week-ends, including the one when we had our design session.

The manufacture of the cartridge and other assets took longer--especially because we had to wait for the LTO clear blue cart to be made. That took a few months. However, I think it was worth the wait, because it is a really cool looking cart! :cool:

dZ.

• Like 1

Truly done with class ... what we've come to expect from you. Can't agree more with what Cmart said above as this was more of an experience than just a game. I'm proud to display the patch and the special edition copy on my shelf.

Wisp ... enjoy the Championship edition. You definitely earned it!

Edited by Fushek
  • Like 1

I thought a cork gun would be good to stun the snowman or ghost or to drop candy canes, candy canes would be like flares and would attract snowman / ghost for a certain period of time, and leave Carol alone

Those are some cool ideas. Perhaps for Carol II? ;)

-dZ.

• Like 1

I love the Santa sprite and all the other additions. I have been collecting homebrews for several systems and I have not bought one that can top Carol. D2K comes close but it is a remake. Carol is 100% new homebrew.

So, obviously, I can't wait for Carol II. Maybe this can be of some inspiration: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058548/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 ;-)

Those are some cool ideas. Perhaps for Carol II? ;)

-dZ.

that would so cool :)

Perhaps candy cane meter, so when you pickup the little candies it fills up the candy cane, when full you can use candy cane (flare). It would persist from level to level. Perhaps allow up to 3 or something. For the cork gun perhaps make Carol grab it during the level and/or as a bonus for collecting all the candies in the level.

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/credits/intv3.shtml#superpro_basketball

This unique reward cart reminds me of what was done for this group of basketball fans back in the day.

That is very cool, indeed!

Unfortunately for Cmart, I don't offer commissioned customizations for hire. :P

That is very cool, indeed!

Unfortunately for Cmart, I don't offer commissioned customizations for hire. :P

I would at least see how much money Cmart is willing to offer before turning him down.

He might be able to fully fund the next game release with his one custom cart (with box and instructions of course).