IGNORED

Idea for the next version of Stella (if possible)

This is outside the domain of Stella. The emulator itself expects a ROM file, or IOW, a block of data in a specific format. Getting that data from a real cart is essentially the job of a hardware cart-reader, which is basically how all the ROMs floating around came into existence in the first place. If someone designed that, it would be an easy enough job to write a small program that 'rips' the ROM data from the cart, and launches Stella with that data. But the hardware cart-reader itself, and the software that interfaces with it, are separate from Stella and don't really belong in the emulator at all.

But the hardware cart-reader itself, and the software that interfaces with it, are separate from Stella and don't really belong in the emulator at all.

So sayeth the Stella maintainer. But no matter who said it, I agree.

Actually an adapter for the Retrode has already been designed. There aren't enough parts available for the Retrode team to sell them preassembled, but you can buy a Retrode and then create the 2600 adapter yourself. See here.

I think it would be too slow to actually play a game in an emulator FROM eprom. On real hw everything happens in realtime (i.e. bankswitching) and data-fetches etc.

So adressing the EPROM and reading back from it (into the emulator) must not cause ANY delay.

Yeah. I think the O.P. needs to forward his idea to the Retrode dude.

Here are some software suggestions as an example of what Stella could be changed to do:

* Not defaulting to enabling the mouse so trackpads don't screw with your game.

* A wrapper mode for Stella that encapsulates a single game as an .EXE or .APK for Android.

* Capture video to .AVI

Can't be too much work to change the default in your setting once, or is it?

It is. I install Stella on many machines - some my own and some for play testers. Getting false bug reports because of this behavior is very annoying. I myself forget Stella is set up this way and I trip over it all the time.

Here are some software suggestions as an example of what Stella could be changed to do:

* Not defaulting to enabling the mouse so trackpads don't screw with your game.

I plan to add an option that specifies to only use the mouse for 'analog-input' type controllers (like paddles, real mouse, etc). And it would be the default. In all honesty, I don't know who uses the mouse for joystick input anyway; I may even remove the option completely. I personally never use it, and at times it screws me up as well (and I wrote the thing).

* A wrapper mode for Stella that encapsulates a single game as an .EXE or .APK for Android.

This may not happen, as Stella is GPL2, and creating a package containing a ROM may cause issues with the copyright on the ROM and the emulator itself. This happened in the 1.2 release, where a ROM was included in the source code, and this forced the ROM to be under the GPL2 as well, which its author did not want. We had to pull the release because of this.

To me, this also seems outside the scope of Stella. You can easily get packages for Windows (and probably other OS'es) that basically decompress when double-clicked. There's no reason why such a package couldn't include both Stella and the ROM, and when decompressed, automatically launch the emulator and the ROM. But that's as close as the ROM can get to Stella; I can't integrate it into the source in any way. Aside from GPL issues, there are also general copyright issues to consider. Emulation development and distribution is generally allowed and legal; mixing copyrighted ROMs into it may not be legal, and it's not something I want to find out.

* Capture video to .AVI

This is on the TODO list for some time, and I would like to get to it eventually. Finding time to do it is another matter. If someone could research the possibilities that exist for GPL2-compatible code to do this, it would be greatly appreciated (and greatly increase the chances that it would be added to Stella).

• Like 1

I think it would be too slow to actually play a game in an emulator FROM eprom. On real hw everything happens in realtime (i.e. bankswitching) and data-fetches etc.

So adressing the EPROM and reading back from it (into the emulator) must not cause ANY delay.

Yep, that's why I view it as outside Stella. You have to get the data (reliably and quickly) from the cart, and then pass it to Stella. The first part is someone elses job :)

What would be great (though I think I read that it was already planned?) is the ability to record/playback game input "movies", similar to other emulators like FCEUX. Bizhawk already does this, but it's a multi-system emulator and has certain issues (for instance, does not emulate Pitfall II DPC), so having Stella do this would be beneficial to speedrunning and TAS-ing communities.

Edited by cak

What would be great (though I think I read that it was already planned?) is the ability to record/playback game input "movies", similar to other emulators like FCEUX. Bizhawk already does this, but it's a multi-system emulator and has certain issues (for instance, does not emulate Pitfall II DPC), so having Stella do this would be beneficial to speedrunning and TAS-ing communities.

Yes, it's on the TODO list, and has been for some time. I actually played with this a little, and created an initial implementation. It's currently commented out in the code (so you can't test it), but it did work. There are several issues to solve, and a UI to create for it, etc. But the biggest problem, again, is finding time to work on it.

There is a bug, in version 3.7.2.0, where one of the memory labels is incorrect. I noticed in Tumulus. I have a constant called C_KERNAL_HEIGHT, it has a value of 182. Memory location B6 is misnamed as C_KERNAL_HEIGHT. It should be named E4_Health. In the symbol file it appears to be correct. I would upload the symbol file, but apparently I'm not permitted to upload this kind of file, file ext doesn't matter.

Edited by yllawwally

There is a bug, in version 3.7.2.0, where one of the memory labels is incorrect. I noticed in Tumulus. I have a constant called C_KERNAL_HEIGHT, it has a value of 182. Memory location B6 is misnamed as C_KERNAL_HEIGHT. It should be named E4_Health. In the symbol file it appears to be correct. I would upload the symbol file, but apparently I'm not permitted to upload this kind of file, file ext doesn't matter.

Please include both the ROM, the source (if possible) and the symbol file in a ZIP file, and attach it here, or PM me directly. The ZIP format is allowed here as an attachment.

Also, try running the latest version of Stella (3.9) and see if the problem still exists.