IGNORED

Adam in 80 Columns (and other questions)

Tempest

10 hours ago, jfcarbel said:

As I am cleaning thru the basement, I realized I have the Orphanware 80 unit and the Eve SP-1.

I have no idea how to test this but I assume I need a computer with a serial port,

I am using a prolific USB to serial cable to connect my Adam to a Win10 and Linux laptops

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/141683443025?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item20fcfdc551:g:g90AAOSwPNxdO1ok&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA4AoGabHCOxg6KcMVc5vG7VeZpnGC7EAft%2BCUA4b25KMOKsVfmR7WLPUyF7oe0cgflwTJg7zPPyV2fyTiV7RyZw%2B%2B277K7zLAoiOCbI3GIDSTgehEuUZ3BQ2CZlk2S26u8HadAAuJbxUnraubOS8iCskQlL5y1eeKcjflwHwfRSwjQygm8xhfKHYp0AULiZ7jc4P4HBYdwQfiWozEvvJk0M3RN7VyOJbbbTnoZ%2BKVvJ2%2B8s0%2BKVQ6sIysAOywdsh%2F1pHXEfNyXHv7Jt2DAmOGegmC0sol9Qls6B3GwbH4nUt2|tkp%3ABFBMht6u8f9f

15 hours ago, jfcarbel said:

As I am cleaning thru the basement, I realized I have the Orphanware 80 unit and the Eve SP-1.

I have no idea how to test this but I assume I need a computer with a serial port,

The Orphanware 80 column unit only requires an ADAM system to connect to and a decent display that has Composite Video input such as a Monitor or LCD TV.

if using the EVE SP-1, you will need to connect it to a Serial Terminal or a PC. If the PC doesn’t have a Serial Port, you can use a Serial-to-USB cable. You will also need a Null Modem adapter seeing as the SP-1 serial port is configured for connecting to a Modem.

• 1 month later...

There were also 80 column color terminals in existence that supported graphics, however when connected to the ADAM computer a 80 column color terminal in the 20th Century was always using the backwards compatible monochrome mode. This is because the ADAM programmers only wrote 80 column text based software with no graphics support. Today it would be possible to make a HDMI graphics card for the ADAM so that it supports 80 column with graphics with any display that has a HDMI input. Some software patches would be needed.