IGNORED

Choosing more realistic consoles

Yes, inspired from Dragon Warrior's thread, but with more common consoles. I just want to get thoughts about them,

I'll start

Atari 5200- has unique games many of which are upgraded from the 2600 but has an awful controller.

Atari 7800- plays all 2800 games - not sure of it's major downside.

Neo Geo AVS - Very costly, crazy expensive games.

Neo Geo CD - horrible load times, a bit costly to buy and collect for.

Vectrex - games are usually easy enough to find. Controllers are tough but if you damage one you can't just pick a spare up off ebay like you can for almost anything else.

Odyssey 2- not sure of this one. I'm still researching it. Seems to have a good homebrew movement.

I've actually been eyeing the Neo Geo X but I'm not sure if I need another console to buy games for.

Never had anyone be inspired by me. I never played a Colecovision.As for Sega products I like em all even the 32X and CD.The GameGear is one of my favorite handhelds and I had one since childhood(my cousin gave me the blue one with 7 games).The Genesis I like alot and need to build up my collection aswell as the Master System(been wanting one for years but others consoles have gotten in my way).Never played the others but are on my to get list.

What is it about? Systems one would like to own, or what people think about them? Anyway, have both :

Atari 5200- Only know it from reputation; never released here; don't plan to get one; most games are either upgraded 2600 version and/or port from the Atari 400 line. Very much more interesting to get a XEGS if you really want the "game system" feel and look with the power of the Atari 8-bit line.

Atari 7800- Where are the games? System is nice, very pretty. The Joypads (standard on European versions, thanksfully) are pretty nice to handle, the rounded form make them more comfortable than the NES and SMS versions. Also the French version come in RGB so it's much wanted to play 2600 games in PAL colors.

Neo Geo AVS - Cost too much, lack of variety in game style.

Neo Geo CD - Same as the Neo Geo but cheaper...

Vectrex - Awesome looking, definitively on I want, but games and systems here are just too expensive (120€ one loose unit, between 15 and 20€ for a complete usual game.

Odyssey 2- Awesome, classic system. Sure, some of the first games are looking the same and other are odd, but the joysticks are more comfortable than the VCS one (tho, less reliable) some games are really good. And many games that exist on the VCS look and play better on the VCS/Videopac (Acrobats, Pac-man... Oh the irony, thinking that Munchkin was developed and released before Atari's PacMan... and not only does it look and play better, but it also ad more gameplay value than the original PacMan with the random labyrinth).

Also in Europe, Videopac+ games add a bit more to the collection.

And for systems I would like to have :

ZX Spectrum : Simple, small. Sure the graphism are quite simple, but hey, not as bad as the early VCS games, and a very vivid homebrew community. Also lots of great games on it at the time. Lots of crap, too, but heh.

Commodore 64 : Legendary. What can I say?

Amiga : the legend of the 16-32 bits Era. Great games, great software and system. Should have replaced the PC, was killed by Commodore's stupidity.

I can't seems to find one console I would like to own, except the Vectrex. The thing is that I own most of them - the ones I don't have already, I don't feel like owning them.

Atari 7800- plays all 2800 games - not sure of it's major downside.

IMO, the major downside is its controller. Regardless whether which of the two it is.

Neo Geo AVS - Very costly, crazy expensive games.

Yes and no. It has cheap games, not only expensive titles as you assume.

Neo Geo CD - horrible load times, a bit costly to buy and collect for.

Horrible? Depends on the title (mostly newer games). Most see the initial load times of every game a bother.. but the truth is, many of the earlier games load once, and never again. Pick your poison--a game that loads for ten seconds every 60 seconds, or a game that loads once for 60 seconds, but never again.

I've actually been eyeing the Neo Geo X but I'm not sure if I need another console to buy games for.

You'd be better off buying a Neo-Geo CD. Oh wait, the load times are long. :roll:

The Genesis is the second most rewarding system to collect for after the 2600 imo. The hardware is reliable and affordable. Games are easy to find complete and the add-ons are intriguing as well.

The other Sega systems have some great games but the Genesis was definitely Sega at its finest.

I've seen reviews of the Neo Geo X and it seems the firmware update fixed the HDMI video. I'd want it for HDMI anyway. I've seen load times on the CD and no it's not a deal breaker. My thought is that I can legally own the games easier for the X if they release them rather than hunt down used CD games. I'd like the updated Neo CD cd, can't remember what it's called, but my understanding is that you just can't find them. I could easily go either way on this one. I won't steal the games though. Many people on Youtube suggest that since the X is just an emulator. I understand their point but you have to draw a line somewhere.

I owned a C128 and used it mostly for C64 games. I've got to say I was spoiled by it since it was vastly ahead of the console world even years after it's release. I played Dig Dug for example and it was a true arcade port, then look at the 2600 version. The c128 had so many odd little features some of which are even lost today.

I personally didn't own anything between NES and PS1 (and only those 2) so there's a giant swath of time that I missed out on.

For everyone talking about Neo Geo:

-The home cartridge system is called the Advanced Entertainment System, or AES, not AVS. The system itself usually goes for a baseline of $200 and most of the sought-after games are indeed prohibitively expensive. There are some cheap and readily available quality titles but as a rule the AES is best for collectors only.

-There are three models of the Neo Geo CD. One is commonly referred to as the toploader, and that is the most popular and common system. The frontloader is less common and therefore more expensive, and since it has many more moving parts is more prone to failure. Most people who own ti generally just have it as a collection piece.

The one with the faster load times referred to above is another toploading system called the CDZ. It does indeed load faster but it is also more prone to failure because the system does not vent heat as well as the older toploader. It can also be more expensive. If you get one it's best to treat it like you would an early generation Playstation 3 or Xbox 360: do not put it on carpet or in an enclosed cabinet or entertainment center and make sure to keep it clear of dust.

The toploader is the one I own and it is the one I recommend. The load times are indeed longer, but for the most part the terribly long loads are limited to fighting games. Games in other genres do a lot better and are very comparable to systems like SEGA CD, Turbo CD, and early Saturn/Playstation/3DO titles.

Most games for the Neo CD can be had for under $50 and it's a worthy investment.

-My preferred Neo Geo is the MVS arcade platform. Not everyone has the space or money to dedicate to a full size cabinet but there really aren't any drawbacks besides that. You don't have to worry about load times, most games are much more affordable than their home system counterparts, you don't have to deal with the compromises of emulation, etc.

One way a lot of people like to go is the consolized MVS, where people modify MVS arcade boards to hook up to standard TVs and power supplies and use Neo Geo AES and CD controllers. There are some people out there selling premade units with professionally molded wooden or plastic cases (look into the Omega MVS or the Analogue MVS, which go for 500-600$ each). If you don't mind the poor aesthetics you can usually find a less professional but equally functional home made job on eBay or the Neo-Geo.com forums for around half that. Yesterday I saw one on NG for $275 shipped.

-The Neo Geo X Gold is not a good value. Even after the firmware update the emulation is not on par with what you see on PSN/Virtual Console/XBLA/retail SNK compilations, let alone less legitimate routes such as hacked PSPs or PC emulators. There is noticeable slowdown, washed out colors, aspect ratio distortion (in both 4:3 and 16:9 modes), and many people have had failed hardware or bricked units due to failed updates. Further, the video output is still poor from the docking station and there is noticeable lag and tearing. The actual handheld unit is noticeably better but you stupidly cannot charge the unit without the dock.

I am not saying to avoid the X entirely as I eventually plan to own one too, but you should be very aware of its shortcomings. I would not pay more than 75 or so dollars for it.

As far as SEGA goes, I say buy any SEGA console.

With the possible exception of the Japan-only SG-1000, all their systems are pretty reliable and affordable.

Master System is very underrated because it really only caught on in Europe and South America, but it has a large and varied library of great games. The consoles themselves are usually under $60 dollars but you can also get adapters to play SMS games on the Genesis or Game Gear. The controllers are cross compatible too, so you never have to worry about that.

I think we all know how awesome the Genesis is. Even its addons can be worthwhile. The SEGA CD can be a bit pricey but it has tons of great games, including enhanced versions of Genesis titles and many good exclusives. The 32X is generally dirt cheap and only has maybe a dozen worthwhile games so you can pass on it and not miss too much, but if you're a Sonic fan you owe it to yourself to play Knuckles' Chaotix.

Saturn is my favorite system of all time. If you stick to domestic games you can usually find a lot of great stuff for cheap (Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2, better version of Sonic 3D Blast, Bug, NiGHTS, Virtua Fighter, etc) but the system really shines when you get it import-ready. The system has a vast library of incredible fighting games and SHMUPs that any arcade gamer should have endless fun with.

The Dreamcast is much like the Saturn in that it excels in arcade genres and imports, but thankfully it also has a stronger domestic library and thriving homebrew community. Plus it's dirt cheap. There's no reason NOT to own a Dreamcast.

As for the Game Gear, a lot of the early units suffer from capacitor rot, which fans of the Lynx or Turboexpress may also be familiar with. Thankfully there are repair services all over the internet for that issue, and working Game Gear units are still very common and cheap in the wild. The Game Gear shares a lot of its library with the Master System but also has enough exclusives to stand on its own. Just make sure you get an AC adaptor because it beasts through AAs like a Game Boy on steroids.

Edited by famicommander
  • Like 1

There's no reason NOT to own a Dreamcast.

This ^^^

There is no reason to not own a Colecovision either. Well, some have flaky power supplies, and the controllers are 100% better if you get them modded with ball knobs... But I digress.

The CV has an awesome homebrew scene and a super fun original library. That 2600 adapter comes in pretty handy as a space saver too. I bought mine in a fit of vindictive collecting (I should have had one of these when I was a kid) and have gotten HOURS of enjoyment out of it.

I emulate the Neo Geo. I own all the rest of these. Unless you're really into SNK fighters and shmups that are too damn hard, there's not much else on the Neo Geo. Emulation is fine for the occasional Metal Slug fix for me.

That's really not true -- there are tons of great Neo Geo titles that do not fall into the fighting game or SHMUP category. Windjammers, Baseball Stars Professional 2, Neo Turf Masters, Street Hoop, Magician Lord, Spinmaster, Neo Bomberman, Panic Bomber, Bust-A-Move, Sidekicks series, Super Baseball 2020, Nightmare in the Dark, Ninja Commando, Overtop, Sengoku series, Thrash Rally, Burning Fight, Neo Drift Out, and more.

Neo Geo has a very well rounded library of arcade games in general, including sports, racing, puzzle, beat em ups, and platformers.

• Like 1

I've never really been into emulators but the Neo Geo really seems to pushing people that way. I bought Metal Slug on the PS3 and it's emulation is excellent. They don't offer much of the library for purchase though. Heck even if you buy the new Neo Geo X it's still emulation so why not just buy the games on the PS3 and save the expense? They look better.

Windjammers is great, that one has disappeared also. I see the CD on ebay but it never made it into collections. I guess the Data East bankruptcy complicates that one.

Yes, inspired from Dragon Warrior's thread, but with more common consoles. I just want to get thoughts about them,

If I were to keep only two consoles, it would be my Sears Video Arcade II and my Odyssey 2.

The Sears Video Arcade II is, in my opinion, the most aesthetically pleasing VCS variant (and one of the most practical), and the VCS is the best all-around console (in my opinion), due to the extensive library, the history of it, and great games.

The Odyssey 2 also looks great, has some great games, and great joysticks. The box art of the Magnavox library is unique and beautiful. Odyssey 2 games also have a very different feel to them than games from other consoles of that era (the graphics are simple, but the animations and gameplay are very smooth). However, the game library is small in comparison to many other consoles, so it is a great second console, but I probably would be satisfied with it as my only console.

That's really not true -- there are tons of great Neo Geo titles that do not fall into the fighting game or SHMUP category. Windjammers, Baseball Stars Professional 2, Neo Turf Masters, Street Hoop, Magician Lord, Spinmaster, Neo Bomberman, Panic Bomber, Bust-A-Move, Sidekicks series, Super Baseball 2020, Nightmare in the Dark, Ninja Commando, Overtop, Sengoku series, Thrash Rally, Burning Fight, Neo Drift Out, and more.

Neo Geo has a very well rounded library of arcade games in general, including sports, racing, puzzle, beat em ups, and platformers.

Well said. I was going to mention it, but the Neo-Geo has to be one of the best platforms for arcade-sports titles (the only kind of sports games I thoroughly enjoy). Lots of great stuff there, and Windjammers especially is a must-play, period.