Blue Lightning

WarBirds

ElectroCop

BattleWheels

Gates of Zendocon

California Games

Todd's Adventures in Slime World

Checkered Flag

It's more than five, but a majority of Lynx games were excellent and high-quality. It's hard to choose just five.

• Like 2

I like platformers on the lynx so I would go for Toki and Rygar in that genre. I have all the commerically released ones but couple years back I realised I would never play them all even if I lived to a hundred! so pulled out some faves for repeated play. The aforementioed plus Zarlor Mercanary, Stun Runner, Klax and a few others I forget!

I'm getting into Turbo Sub at the moment and finding that there's similar gameplay to Sega's Space Harrier in that you face flying monsters head on!

Don't forget to pick up Zaku as its currently still available.

Roadblasters is cool!

If you got loads of time get Chips Challenge - it's lots of fun.

Batman Returns is ok but quite hard.

Finally you should pick up both models of lynx they are both so cool! Lynx one is a beast!

• Like 1

Funny to read than almost noone agree on the same games.

To me the top 5 would be:

1. Shadow of the Beast for its amazing graphisms and sounds

2. Dracula for it very good monochrome atmosphere like an old B&W movie and a very well done point and clic interface

3. Desert Strike beaause it is Desert Strike and it is very well done for the Lynx

4. Slime World because of its unique slimy atmosphere and several players can play linked : extremely funny like a bomberman

5. Xybots: maze in 3D: we did not had Wolf3D or Doom on Lynx but we have Xybots

In fact it is hard to list only 5 games as there is more excellent games than only 5.

• Like 1

Well, here's my list:

1. Todd's Adventures in Slime World

2. Xenophobe

3. Chip's Challenge

4. Robotron 2084

5. Toki

And if this could be a top 10, these would be next

1. Power Factor

2. Steel Talons

3. Super Skweek

4. Viking Child

5. Shanghai

I notice that out of all of my cartridges, these are the ones I keep coming back to.

(Update of bad outlining of numbered lists)

Edited by LX.NET

Ah, memories!

Which games were my favorites? Hmm, gotta think about this one...

MUST BUYS

TOKI: Easily, without question, the best Japanese-style side-scrolling platformer on the Lynx. Nothing else comes close. Lots of variety thanks to the wide selection of power-ups, and organically designed, unpredictable stages that never make you feel like you're running through a Hanna-Barbera cartoon.

DESERT STRIKE: An awesome conversion of the Genesis classic, with more depth than you'd expect from an early handheld title. Beware, though! The stages are difficult enough that you may run out of batteries before you finish one.

ROADBLASTERS: The best port of this thrilling arcade racer, with only the Sega Genesis version giving it a run for its money. It fits the Lynx like a glove, unlike STUN Runner which was too ambitious and Hydra which lumped in a bunch of confusing play mechanics.

ROBOTRON 2084: The dual stick control is dearly missed, and none of the control schemes are a suitable substitute. Nevertheless, it's a really close port of one of history's all-time best shooters. It's just as intense as the arcade game, even if playing it on a two button system is like entering a marathon with a slight limp.

TODD'S ADVENTURES IN SLIME WORLD: It's hard to think of a Lynx game that offers as much content as this one! The Lynx's small screen lends to some really tense, claustrophobic gaming. You never know when something's going to jump out from the edges and ambush you!

ALMOST BUT NOT QUITE

BLUE LIGHTNING: This game was capital G gorgeous in 1989, and is still hugely impressive with its smooth scaling and rotation. However, it makes a better tech demo than a game. It tries to straddle the fence between a twitchy arcade game and a combat-heavy flight sim, but never quite finds the sweet spot between those two play styles.

ZAKU: A decent (not great, but decent) shooter with an intriguing East meets West design. If you ever wondered what would happen if Air Zonk was created ten years later in the United States, this game will provide the answer.

QIX: Decent conversion. Nothing to write home about. I seem to recall it using weird looking textures for the box fills, and I don't know if those can be turned off for the standard blue and orange fills of the arcade game.

DOUBLE DRAGON: Visually stunning, but only a quarter of the playfield is visible at any time thanks to the Lynx's low resolution. Still beats the hell out of the other fighting games on the system, though.

XYBOTS: An early over-the-shoulder shooter that shows its age, especially after two decades of Doom and Quake clones. It's fun for what it is, but expect choppy scrolling, rice paper walls, and stiff 90 degree turns.

RAMPAGE, XENOPHOBE, GAUNTLET: Admittedly, I only played these in an emulator, but the stuff Atari added to these three arcade games didn't click with me. They're really better described as home adaptations, in the same way that many NES games were. This Gauntlet, for what it's worth, is the only one with a "nerd" class.

RAMPART: This might be worth a look. I've always adored this series, which combines Tetris-y castle building with real-time combat that's like a cross between Missile Command and the board game Battleship. The Super NES version is the best one thanks to its expanded gameplay, but I've heard good things about this port as well.

RUN AWAY!

ZARLOR MERCENARY: An ugly, overly complicated vertically scrolling shooter with an off-putting hazard sign motif. Everything's marked in yellow and black stripes, as if each stage was scheduled for demolition. (Rightfully so, I think.) There's also a shop where you can buy weapons, but really, how often does that work in a game like this? (Hint: Forgotten Worlds and nowhere else.)

GATES OF ZENDOCON: If you like your shooters with repetitive enemy patterns, weak stage designs, and a muddled art direction, whoo baby are you ever going to love this!

RUN AWAY!

ZARLOR MERCENARY: An ugly, overly complicated vertically scrolling shooter with an off-putting hazard sign motif. Everything's marked in yellow and black stripes, as if each stage was scheduled for demolition. (Rightfully so, I think.) There's also a shop where you can buy weapons, but really, how often does that work in a game like this? (Hint: Forgotten Worlds and nowhere else.)

GATES OF ZENDOCON: If you like your shooters with repetitive enemy patterns, weak stage designs, and a muddled art direction, whoo baby are you ever going to love this!

no-no!!!

i dont see this titles as must have, but i love this games.

They are not great as r-type or X-Out, but makes fun on the lynx

Hmmm, Xenophobe as a 'home adaption', I don't agree with that lol. The Lynx version is the best version, actually better gameplay over the arcade version as they added jetpacks in and a boss (queen alien + lair).

The Lynx version of Xenophobe poops on the ST, Amiga, spectrum, C64, Amstrad and any other version you can think of. Whilst the arcade is better detailed for sound and gfx, Lynx gameplay beats that also.

Some people just don't get Xenophobe, personally I think it's one of the best Lynx games made, because its so well converted from the arcade original (considering Lynx specs) and has good gameplay - reminds me of Aliens.

Zarlor is also great imo - possibly the best shooter, although Zaku and Gates of Zendocon are also just as fun.

Edited by GadgetUK

Hmmm, Xenophobe as a 'home adaption', I don't agree with that lol. The Lynx version is the best version, actually better gameplay over the arcade version as they added jetpacks in and a boss (queen alien + lair).

That's why I say it's not really a straight arcade port, but an adaptation for a home console. For what it's worth, I played the game for a while on an emulator earlier tonight, and enjoyed the experience... at least for the first two stages. After that, you're wading through an ever-flowing stream of aliens, who rip through your health bar like Macho Man through a Slim Jim. The game's got its moments (as well as some monumentally bad puns... really, Dr. Zordirz?), but I firmly believe Slime World is better. It's less linear and you have an honest chance at survival if you're cautious.