IGNORED

Rana ROM images

MrMartian

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey Worley said:

Here's another copy of the rom.  This is the one I burnt yesterday and is the one I downloaded from this thread.  Mr. Martian's filenames are not terribly imaginative, so I renamed this one for greater clarity, but it is his rom.

rana8531 US Mod Rom.bin 4 kB · 1 download

Yeah, I often go back and curse myself trying to remember which file was which... I'm too used to small filenames. :)

But, this should be 8031 as that's the chip (or 8051), not 8531 .. ??

21 minutes ago, MrMartian said:

Yeah, I often go back and curse myself trying to remember which file was which... I'm too used to small filenames. :)

But, this should be 8031 as that's the chip (or 8051), not 8531 .. ??

OOPS.  And I don't have permissions to edit.  Doggone it.  The filename was correct on my drive and I renamed it thinking it was incorrect.  Shoulda gone with the first iteration.  Jeez.

there are 2x drive types - using either intel or MOS CPU. one requires the crystal swap, the other does not.

from the image, yours is the intel variant

this is a brilliant mod, it improves speed but in my case - reliability too!

kudos to Mr Martian for his work

Edited by xrbrevin
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, skr said:

Just figured out, that my EPROMS are in my cellar. Don´t go there tonight (it´s 11pm here already). But just to make sure, which file is the right one for my drive?

->

rs1000_1.thumb.png.073ce941a552bf5753eb286583496056.png

rs1000_2.thumb.jpeg.feb6590b079e45d87e83757b26c9a56a.jpeg

Yes.  For the rom version I just posted this is the right drive.  Remember to check your crystal.  You may already have a 12mhz version, in which case you don't need to do anything but swap the rom.  If you have an 8mhz crystal, then you will have to substitute a 12mhz one.

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Worley said:

OOPS.  And I don't have permissions to edit.  Doggone it.  The filename was correct on my drive and I renamed it thinking it was incorrect.  Shoulda gone with the first iteration.  Jeez.

I've granted edit permission to your earlier post, and the post by "MrMartian" which precedes this one, so you should both be able to revise your earlier posts as needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Ah grasshopper, the virtue of patience was disturbed as a windy storm breaks the mirrored surface of the calm pond... I weep grasshopper... and offer you...

BTW, in the process of doing today I realize that you may well be onto something with regard to a field generated by the spindle motor.  I cut the "TEE" part on the left to open the motor after the center slot did not perfectly resolve the problem.  The right arm of the "TEE" is cut merely for symmetry. 

• Like 1

So, I had a Rana 1000 and an Indus GT BITD. I got the Rana first, but other than just sounding feeble compared to the Atari 810 a friend had, it seemed to work fine.

Was this issue something that I might not have noticed? Or if it would have been noticed and I didn't have it, any idea why? (Unfortunately, the original Rana I had was lost long ago. the one I have now, I have not used much. 

I was thinking of going down to look for the issue, but not sure what to look for.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

So, I had a Rana 1000 and an Indus GT BITD. I got the Rana first, but other than just sounding feeble compared to the Atari 810 a friend had, it seemed to work fine.

Was this issue something that I might not have noticed? Or if it would have been noticed and I didn't have it, any idea why? (Unfortunately, the original Rana I had was lost long ago. the one I have now, I have not used much. 

I was thinking of going down to look for the issue, but not sure what to look for.

Thanks.

All I can say is I have two here, one 6502 and one 8031, and neither have this issue. I had never heard of it until recently, but it does seem to affect some people.. <shrug> electronics....

4 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

Thanks.

They are known for being slow and unreliable.  I think I discovered why recently.  The characteristic problem is retries on reads make the drive seem slow (because the drive has to do the same thing twice), and sound stuttery.  That and they would sometimes fail on retry, which meant your disk was now corrupt.  The trick seems to be to resolve radio frequency interference inside the drive.  Mine works like gangbusters now that Fred Sanford got hold of it with a dremel tool.  THAT is not the elegant solution, but it points to the problem and someone smarter than I will come up with the elegant fix.

Best,

Jeff

the 40-pin chip at top-left is the intel 8031 type

the crystal is at top-right - the silver component with 2x wires coming out of it's left edge

the chip with the sticker is the EPROM

Edited by xrbrevin

Hello guys

2 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

the crystal is at top-right - the silver component with 2x wires coming out of it's left edge

And "FOX" printed on it.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Today the 12MHz has arrived, but I´m still searching searching for my EPROMs. I have three burners here, but can´t find the box with my EPROMs. Did some cleaning up here in the last weeks, and now I can´t find anything. Lesson learned: I´ll arrange with living in chaos where I find all I search and never clean up again. ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

the 40-pin chip at top-left is the intel 8031 type

the chip with the sticker is the EPROM

Can someone confirm what eprom I need for this?

And which ROM image I need?

Thank you!

swap the crystal,

this is the rom, burn it and replace yours with this...

bob' your uncle faster more reliable RANA,

if you still experience issues, you can employ toroid bead and encase spindle motor in shielding, make sure all ground paths are good and double check filter caps... as an added measure you can cut out case metal and fill it in with non ferrous material as seen in the thread.

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, toddtmw said:

I "think" I dumped the rom from mine. (This is the first time I've tried it.)

Did this work?

Is this different than what we already had?

Thanks!

R1000C-AA1.BIN 4 kB · 1 download

From the last line in the rom, I see that it is the same version as the one I just replaced the other day.

Best,

Jeff