IGNORED

Rana ROM images

MrMartian

Unfortunately when Digikey adds their shipping charges, ouch!!!

Found this US seller on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300697292615&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

If anyone else needs one, I'll have a few extras (next week). PM me.

-Larry

If you are willing to wait you could order 60 from China for the same price, eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2906328673761?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290632867376&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER], although these are a different style/size.

The default is 5 crystals each of the 12 specified values, but it also says that you can specify amounts of different values to a total of 60 crystals.

For any that might be interested -- Paul Alhart wrote a manual titled "The Rana Systems 1000 Repair Guide." It is concise and has double-sized schematics. I think Paul sold it for $10 and Best sold it for $18. (?) Anyway, the guide is very useful, and Paul was very helpful -- he helped me add a Tandon 1050 mech to mine to replace the crappy one from Rana. My Ran-Tan drive. Added or replaced a track zero sensor on one, also. Parts lists, etc.

I think that the Polish site with all the Atari schematics has one of a Rana 1000.

-Larry

Mr martian.

Maybe you could look at the xf551 double density stuff to see what is going on. Tho it is a different micro, they are supposed to be code compatiable.

James

The MCS-48 (8040, 8050, etc) is similar, but definitely different than the MCS-51 family...

What issues are you talking about for the XF551? The ones I have are running the HyperXF rom, and that works good for me! :)

Was refering to trouble you are having with the rana rom re DD. Maybe the xf551 code may give you a clue.

Mcs48 is highlevel code compatiable with minor changes required. Binary level they arent.

I have the one from bobpuff. Have already looked at that code and found something.......;)

James

Hello Mr. Martian,

Can you be kind to tell me how read rana.bin rather than Altirra ? I did try to read with Microsoft Word and it is scrabble words as non-sense. How did you obtain

"The one I have has this at the end:

00000fd0 00 00 00 00 43 4f 50 59 52 49 47 48 54 20 20 28 |....COPYRIGHT (|

00000fe0 43 29 20 52 41 4e 41 20 53 59 53 54 45 4d 53 20 |C) RANA SYSTEMS |

00000ff0 49 4e 43 2e 52 45 56 20 53 31 31 30 32 33 30 00 |INC.REV S110230.|

" ? by what application on Window 7 64 bits.

Well, I'm out of the game for now. My 8 MHz Rana just won't read. It's been years since I've used it -- my sticker on the drive was "checked good 8-2001" This one has a direct drive mech in it, so I can't even swap the mechs to try another. But my 4 MHz still works great, if you ever get to that version.

-Larry

That's kind of crappy... Just to verify - you're trying to use a 8MHz ROM with the 8MHz crystal, and same with 12MHz? You have to run the right firmware to match the speed!

Can I get the people with the 6502 variant (4MHz crystal also seems to be signifying difference) to send their ROMs, or at least verify them against any know versions to I know I'm working from a know working copy? Since I don't have a drive to test it on, I'd like to know if they had as many different versions with as many different bugs as the 8031 version before I start...

Thanks

I can't say for sure, since there are so many variables..

I do know, the 8031 internally runs at basically 1/12 of the crystal frequency.. So, the chip is more or less running at 1MHz if using a 12MHz crystal.. Most of the instruction are simple instructions, and run in one execution cycle, others like doing a MOV from one memory location to another, or comparing or decrementing and comparing, take two cycles..

I don't know the cycle lengths of instructions on the 6502 (but I'll be learning quickly!) but I do know from the schematic that the crystal is divided by 2, so the chip is running at 2MHz in the Rana.

I've started working with the image I had, md5sum is 8f9af9f4f08638059e6a88764760aadb if you have a different one, I'd still like to know.. So far, I don't see the majority of the bugs I had seen in the 8031 versions..

What I'd like to know is, what would people recommend as a good 6502 assembler that's fairly simply to use? I don't need banks, relocatable blocks, etc.. I could learn MADS but it seems overkill for my needs....

• 3 months later...

post-21816-0-74322600-1395845653_thumb.jpgDoes anyone in Canada have a 6502 based Rana drive that they'd be willing to sell me or lend me, so I can work on the ROMs for that variant?

I have a 6502A Rana. I'm wondering how to read the ROM. There is a 24 pin chip I guess is the ROM. Can I put that in the socket on an XL for the BASIC chip and read it, $A000-$BFFF?

It would be fairly easy to make a ML program to write the area to a file. How do you read the ROM?

Edited by russg

I have a 6502A Rana. I'm wondering how to read the ROM. There is a 24 pin chip I guess is the ROM. Can I put that in the socket on an XL for the BASIC chip and read it, $A000-$BFFF?

It would be fairly easy to make a ML program to write the area to a file. How do you read the ROM?

ROM dumps I have... I have disassembled them, read them, understood them, and changed them.. It didn't work. It's a lot easier for me to a have the physical drive in front of me, hooked up to the oscilloscope so I can see specific timings to understand when it doesn't work, what about it doesn't work.

ROM dumps I have... I have disassembled them, read them, understood them, and changed them.. It didn't work. It's a lot easier for me to a have the physical drive in front of me, hooked up to the oscilloscope so I can see specific timings to understand when it doesn't work, what about it doesn't work.

OK, you're not interested in my ROM.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a working 8031 Rana drive and put in the new rom and a 12 MHz crystal. Works great! I'm really impressed with this upgrade.

Has anyone other than Mr-Martian and I done this? I realize the real floppy drives are "long in the tooth," but this is still neat. Hope he can complete the 6502. There seems to be at least as many 6502 versions out there as 8031. I suspect the 6502 was a cost reduction. (?)

-Larry