IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

We seriously need some moderator input to stop all this unfounded b****bear hating!!!!! :-D

Well, I might rub some people around here the wrong way, but I have actually bought from this guy several software packages, including a full TI Fortran package, and have always been very satisfied. His prices have been very reasonable and shipping was lightning quick. I think he provides a needed service and we need to stop the bashing a bit.

OK, let the tar and feathers fly :grin:

• Like 2

yes of course, he´s a good buddy.

it is only sometimes a little bit nerving scrolling k..i...l....o.....m....e....t....e...r....s through the offers on my TI-search :) :) walking kneedeep :)

but without, in contrast, would be very very boring on eBay :)

• Like 3

The copies are a problem, but he sells a lot of original stuff too. When I see an original item I'm looking for, I have no problem buying it from him--and do, regularly. Sometimes he has mixed objects as well--original item but a copy of the manual--or original manual and copy of the software. I will buy those too--if the portion I still need for my set is the part he has as an original. He does provide service to the (somewhat large) community of users not associated with any of the online user's groups or active websites like this one. If that keeps them active long enough to find us--that's a good thing.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 4

My issue with buddbear is just a bit of fun, I have purchased quite a lot of original stuff from him and found him to offer a very good Ebay service. The only problem is with the copied disks, they could be useful to users who have no way of transferring files from the net to a real floppy drive, I just think a little disclaimer is needed that states these files are available elsewhere for download free of charge and that this offered item is intended for users who have no way to transfer the files to original hardware.

I also have a theory about the identity of buddybear, could it actually be K***n and he has thrown a curveball to keep us off the scent ;)

• Like 2

great part, will fit into my Geneve I hope

(will run at least, I hope :)

thanks

Not compatible with the Geneve. You may be able to convert it to use as extra memory, but it's quite a project. I converted a Myarc 512k card for that purpose a while back. It required cutting some traces, removing the Eprom, and installing 27 jumpers.

Gazoo

• Like 1

If this guy would just write "Pirate copy on disk + copy of manual" right at the beginning of his auction headlines, my eBay seraches would be way faster then.

And yes of course I love him too. ;)

Oh come on! Really? We all pirate copies on the TI all day long. Since most of this software is looong out of production, I'll take a "pirated" copy over nothing any time.

If we go by your logic, my TI Gameshelf site is entirely a pirate site, and I suppose in a strict sense it it :D

Our Ebay friend is simply providing a service by packaging copies of software and manuals and selling the ** service **, not the product. We could do this ourselves too, but it would cost as much if not more in labor and material, assuming we can find the software in the first place.

I do draw the line however at him selling new software without permission (the Rasmus collection for example), which I have yet to see though.

My 2 cents...

In the strictest sense, the Game Shelf absolutely is a pirate site. As are the TOSEC collections, WHT FTP, etc. though all previous also offer free or shareware software in the mix. As for buddybear, I find his approach borderline dubious, considering that most of the software he is selling is available in free forms around the Internet and anyone could come here and obtain the same software in useable format pretty much free or learn how to do it free.

What he does provide is software on real, physical disks, which are not easy to do for the novice nor probably the average TI user. That is a service, indeed. I take exception to him putting reasonably-available cartridges on disk. There are also some titles the developers of which are still around and would probably be happy to properly license (or give away) rights for distribution. I doubt, however, that he has obtained those rights or permissions. Like other sources I named above, he also has a vast offering of legitimate items.

In any case, I bore of the repeated nagging about him. We are all fully aware of various members' contempt for him. I think that is enough and we do not need constant reminders which create clutter in an otherwise useful thread. From here on I suggest such conversation be taken privately.

• Like 1

As I just recently unpacked and set up my TI system from storage, I bought Rapid Copy from B.B. knowing that it might be available online somewhere and I just didn't want the hassle of downloading and transferring it to floppy and heck it even came with a copy of the manual (now that it's been a couple months, yes, I could have acquired the software and transferred to floppy quite easily myself). Once I received it, I noticed Barry Boone was the original author of the software and as I just so happened to be having a conversation with Barry about some other topic, I let him know his software was being sold/pirated/repackaged and offered to pay him directly. Barry indicated that he's aware his software occasionally makes the rounds and he thanked me for offering to send him some money, but he declined to accept any.

I think ksarul made an interesting point in that the software I got from B.B. in some small way has kept me in the game and furthered my interest in keeping my TI up and running. And I'm happy to have landed on this site/forum completely by accident without which I would still be unaware of Chris' newsletter among the other benefits of being around such a knowledgeable group of TIers. Anyhow, long story short, whether it's downloading or buying off eBay, I don't have any copies of ROMs for emulation or on floppy or copies of documentation I've downloaded for which I don't also own the original product or publication. Not sure if that makes a difference, but the only thing I've "pirated" (and paid B.B. for) thus far has been Rapid Copy and I was at least lucky enough to clear my conscience with the original author and offer to make amends. lol

P.S. I bought that modem for $99 because I have a friend who I've just got back into the TI and whether he uses it or not, it is a piece to complete his system. For a system this old, while I won't say I'm completely insensitive to price, if I can complete a collection or "scratch an itch" so to speak, and it doesn't break my particular bank, I just pull the trigger and buy it. Could the modem be had for much less in original packaging, etc? Likely, but how long to wait or search for me to find a like item? Now would I have paid $199? Probably not, but with things becoming rarer by the minute for certain TI items, and me being impatient, there are still a few items for which you can separate me from my money... speaking of which, if anyone wants to part with an ORIGINAL manual for the 10" Color Monitor, or the first six issues of 99er Magazine in good condition, well just name your price and we can start from there lol!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

• Like 1

Somebody had most of the first six issues of 99er up for sale a month or two ago on eBay. I thoroughly understand the relative price insensitivity for TI items I want too--if I know it is truly rare and I don't have it, I am willing to pay quite a bit for it. For items that I know come up for sale pretty often though, I wait until the price is right.

I'm also glad that resources like the Gamebase, the TI Gameshelf, and WHT are out there--it makes many of the things we do with our hobbies possible.