IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Prices of raspberry pi still going up.

I figured I'd better get a pi4 new @ $95 instead of the new pi 3B+ that was listed for $87.

I don't want to be picking one up in a year for $225 or so. 

crazy.  Even the pi W is double priced from what I bought a year ago. 

16 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Is it this console speedup modification, by chance?  Might go along with the internal (possibly 16-bit) 32K update?

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/speedup/speedup.html

I'm thinking it might be something like that. I need to run some more trials, but it does seem a little faster. I ran the Megademo in 7:30 rather than 8:00, so about a 9% speed increase. If anyone has any other good tests, especially those that don't need a working FCTN key, I'd love to try them.

16 hours ago, Ksarul said:

I suspect the switch is to slow the memory down to standard speed to allow certain software to operate properly. You will probably find that the switch selects between two different crystals--one that runs the console at 3MHz (12MHz crystal) and one that runs it at 4 MHz (16 MHz crystal).

The memory speed switch just toggles the wait states on and off, just uses one or two more logic gates. The crystal modification is a different speed boost again. :)

13 minutes ago, InfiniteTape said:

I'm thinking it might be something like that. I need to run some more trials, but it does seem a little faster. I ran the Megademo in 7:30 rather than 8:00, so about a 9% speed increase. If anyone has any other good tests, especially those that don't need a working FCTN key, I'd love to try them.

Post a pic. We should be able to tell :)

Prices of raspberry pi still going up.
I figured I'd better get a pi4 new @ $95 instead of the new pi 3B+ that was listed for $87.
  I don't want to be picking one up in a year for $225 or so. 
crazy.  Even the pi W is double priced from what I bought a year ago. 
Don't pay scalpers. You are only encouraging them to keep milking you for more

Buy from the real vendors I just bought a few zero 2ws the other day for normal retail price

They are slowly getting more stock just have to be patient

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 3

FWIW, I have done a couple of transactions with eBay sellers who seem like scalpers, but list "Make Offer."  In all cases I offered $5 over retail and they accepted, though the listing was around double retail.  On the one hand, they are being fair in accepting a reasonable offer, though on the other hand they are willing to take double price.  I am of two minds on these kinds of sellers.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

FWIW, I have done a couple of transactions with eBay sellers who seem like scalpers, but list "Make Offer."  In all cases I offered $5 over retail and they accepted, though the listing was around double retail.  On the one hand, they are being fair in accepting a reasonable offer, though on the other hand they are willing to take double price.  I am of two minds on these kinds of sellers.

No different than a used car salesman.  They'll take anything you are stupid enough to pay, but are also willing entertain a reasonable profit.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SkyPilot said:

No different than a used car salesman.  They'll take anything you are stupid enough to pay, but are also willing entertain a reasonable profit.

"No different than a used car salesman." Is definitely not a ringing endorsement! 

Reminds me of a story my wife was telling me about an acquaintance who is somewhere between well-off and rich.  He had a not very old Mercedes that he wanted to trade in for a Landrover.  He went to the dealership, settled on a car and told them he'd take an even trade.  They tried to tell him there was no way they could do that and he'd have to pay $17,000 above his trade for the Landrover.  After haggling and them not budging he threatened to leave.  They didn't budge so he started to leave.  As he was getting in his car they came running out and said they could do an even trade.

My takeaway from that story is that $17,000 is not a reasonable amount of leeway for purchasing a car.  If the swing between what various people are paying is $17k then someone is getting royally screwed!  To add insult to injury they were willing to fight for that number.  If it were me I would have continued to leave (I can't remember if he ended up buying the car or not) because I wouldn't want to do business with someone like that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, InfiniteTape said:

I get exactly 7' 30" beep to beep on my 16-bit console.

I've got 2 ea 8K supercarts for sale.

$90 each Free shipping in USA.

I ran out of ink to print a label up.

I was just going to print one and slap it over the old.

If you want a 32K (switched 4 bank) version in a cassette case, I'll be putting a couple of those together soon.

Those  32K version are $120 free shipping in USA.

Not available on eBay

IMG_20220406_180447279_HDR.jpg

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 4

On 4/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, Ksarul said:

The price was not so crazy if the person was trying to get one with the Pyuuta box, documentation, and the original included cassette program. Those don't show up too often (about once every two or three years in pristine shape like this one). The actual cassette player was a throw-in bonus (and yes, I'm the crazy person that bought it ;) --it was the last thing I needed to have a complete set of Pyuuta-related hardware, now all I need are the half a dozen tapes I'm still missing). :) :) :)

The funny part is you had multiple people willing to pay a couple hundred for that tape recorder... LOL

I wonder who all was fighting for it?

One chip I've only read a preliminary data manual about, but have never seen in the wild was the tms 68689 - I think TI made these out of Application Specific Integrated Circuits for the military.

Maybe they went in the patriot missile and got all blown up?

Anyone up for a good game of Bruce Harrison's Scud Busters?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, acadiel said:

The funny part is you had multiple people willing to pay a couple hundred for that tape recorder... LOL

I wonder who all was fighting for it?

As I said, the version sold for the Tomy in Japan is not at all common. I actually expected it to go for a bit more because of the condition and the fact that everything was present. . .

• Like 4

19 hours ago, chue said:

According to Digikey, it is some kind of DSP

https://www.digikey.com/short/vp774c5q

According to CPU World, it is an FPU that TI made for HP

https://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32107

Oh, that’s a good chip! XACT89100GA is the FPU for the HP PA-RISC 7000. The part is marked -50 on top, corresponding to the HP Apollo 720 which ran at 50 MHz. (The 730 ran at 66 MHz)

In 1991, my work was using the HP 300s/400s and HP-Apollo 700 series workstations. The 400s were still Motorola 68k, but the 700s were the first workstations to use PA-RISC CPUs.   

I’ve not yet seen an IC with a package like that. I guess it required some capacitors externally?

I suppose it is TI acting as the foundry, not the designer.   ACT is Advanced CMOS (TTL compatible). This is an ASIC  (application specific IC).   My guess is that this is closely related: "ACT8800: 32-bit CMOS Processor Building Blocks" (bitsavers.org)

The August 1992 issue of HP Systems Journal was devoted to the HP 730, which was a really good workstation. and the custom chip designs that went into it.  I found that issue while learning about dual-port video RAM.  

The article starting on page 12 shows that the Floating Point Co-processor was made using TI EPIC-2  0.8 um process (0.8 micrometer), and had 640,000 transistors. More transistors than the CPU had! No wonder FPUs had to be a separate chip.  The other chips were made on HP CMOS26 1 um.

After much good stuff, the FPC is described starting on page 15.

• Like 3