IGNORED

6502 Assembler "Interpreter" (Emulator)

Larry

Are there any 6502 assembly language "Interpreters?" Maybe called something else, but the idea is having a programming environment to avoid most of the pain in using an assembler, especially while learning, or in my case shaking off lots of rust. Perhaps there is a PC cross assembler might fit in this category?

-Larry

There is some assembly learning software for the Atari 800 XL where you enter the opcodes etc. and then you see graphically a step-by-step execution (get opcode from memory, load value to accu, ....). That was quite nice. Have to ask Tigerduck for the name. Other than that, Altirra's debugger is quite close to the best emulation you will find of course.

Edited by JAC!

Eclipse+WUDSN IDE with MADS, set to load its assembly output directly in to Altirra is an amazingly rewarding work flow. On even a fairly old PC this results in pretty much instantaneous results which you can seen working (hopefully!) at once on the desktop.

I use this command line to launch Altirra in debugging mode:

"${runnerExecutablePath} /debug /debugbrkrun /singleinstance ${outputFilePath}"

I like this app:

6502 Macro Assembler, Simulator, and Debugger

http://www.exifpro.com/utils.html

I used it to develop routines for my Atari 5200 Rasteroids game. It allows you to step through your assembly code and shows the effects on the registers as well as memory. As a bonus it has a built-in macro assembler. Great for learning and developing routines. I'm sure the others listed have comparable features but hey it's another option. To me it's just like code editing: some like vi, some use IDEs, and everything in between. Oftentimes a matter of personal preference.

That said, it's definitely worth checking out.

tjb

P.S. You can get full source for the app as well. At one point I started making some changes to be able to display two memory locations as an unsigned integer for instance. It's an MFC-based app IIRC.

• Like 1