IGNORED

Interest Check - Desert Bus 2600

Dethfactor

@Dethfactor: Do the original developers know about your homage to their work?

They do not, but we're in the process of making contact with the two front men, Penn/Teller in order to get them a copy and get a few copies autographed to be gifted to the annual Desert Bus for a cure foundation to be auctioned off for charity.

• Like 1

I'm not a troll, I'm just drunk and straight up mentally ill!

My bad, not a bB game.

I still hate most of those games, you can't make me like them. Except for Gingerbread Man which is a fine effort.

Stella's Stocking ruined it for me forever.

Add them all to the "worst games from 1977-1981" thread

Because they all look and play like them.

Don't care.

Bad programmers should be called out for their crimes. I do software QA and programming for a living, so I'm offended.

That said, the fuckiing bus game, in 6502? I may need a copy. But I'll wait for the voices in my head to chime in.

I mean, seriously, if someone wrote Star Ship or Home Run today, you bunch of marks would be tripping over yourselves to get a "boxed copy"

My bad, not a bB game.

I still hate most of those games, you can't make me like them. Except for Gingerbread Man which is a fine effort.

Don't care.

Bad programmers should be called out for their crimes. I do software QA and programming for a living, so I'm offended.

That said, the fuckiing bus game, in 6502? I may need a copy. But I'll wait for the voices in my head to chime in.

I mean, seriously, if someone wrote Star Ship or Home Run today, you bunch of marks would be tripping over yourselves to get a "boxed copy"

You are re-making Home Run! I'll take a boxed copy, please.

My bad, not a bB game.

Don't care.

Desert Bus 2600 doesn't interest me, but I respect the time and effort that this person put into making this game. I viewed the video of this game in action and was curious about it. It is very monotonous and I don't see myself playing this game. I kinda wished that they can work in a bug splatting into the bus' windshield. You could slam against the lighting bug to turn your bus into a lightning bolt to temporary raise it speed to 50 MPH for a few seconds. But the novelty owning the cartridge, box, instruction and Tshirt is what making this game more special. Pixelboy and retroiilucid really spoiled me with cool box art, manual, and the game cartridge. I enjoyed reading the manual when I got Epic Adventure and Princess Rescue, which is very charming and love the artwork in the manual.

Even if the game was made in batari basic, it doesn't make a programmer a bad programmer. They are still restricted to Atari 2600 limitation. Also, they can edit the assembly generated code to change the kernel to their liking if they chose. batari is a good stepping stone getting programmer to program for the Atari 2600.

I challenge you to make your own version of Desert Bus for the 2600. :)

• Like 3

Gentleman, there's no need for the commotion. The true challenge of Desert Bus wasn't to make Desert Bus. It was to play it multiple times in real time on real hardware to completion in order to test it for bugs. We appreciate your opinion and realize that our next titles will not be as much a novelty.

A few notes:

-I don't care how a game is made, I care that it's a fun game. Even if this was bB, it wouldn't change the fact that it's a faithful recreation of Desert Bus on 2600. People hating on the engine a game is made is like judging the story in a book on the type of paper it was printed on. It's an ignorant disposition.

-While I certainly do not have the patience nor the time to actually play this game to completion, it would still be a fun game to own on sheer novelty alone. I'm content with the fact that the game does what it's supposed to do thanks the the developers dedication to ensure it. I would still like to own it when I can afford to pick it up.

-The creator clearly has passion for the game, having tested the gameplay himself which is no easy feat, I assure you. Just because all that is on screen is a bus and rows of pixels and the occasional cactus doesn't mean this was thrown together in 5 minutes and pawned off the masses. Real blood sweat and tears went into this game.

Sure, blood sweat and tears don't ensure a good game, but in this case it does. To me, this game is the story of the developer, almost a metagame where owning it would be owning a piece of his soul, a piece of his life. And that, to me, is worth 40$

• Like 3

In reply to the topic of interest in buying this: None

The 2nd screenshot seems to have no blank lines, but the video has blank lines. Which is it?

The video says it was programmed in less than 8 hours. Either they are great assembly programmers, or it is batari Basic 1.0.

The video says it wasn't played for 8+ hours, but there were developer "jumps" that fast forward to check the spots where the few things that happen, actually happen, the sun moving, the sky color change, arriving in LV, the cactus on the other side during the return trip.

That said, I am glad you have not only programmed for the 2600, but are taking the time to make physical carts, boxes, and t-shirts.

You have to really love the hardware to do all that, or love the joke/game aspect of it to invest your money and time to do all that.

The 2nd screenshot seems to have no blank lines, but the video has blank lines. Which is it?

The video says it wasn't played for 8+ hours, but there were developer "jumps" that fast forward to check the spots where the few things that happen, actually happen, the sun moving, the sky color change, arriving in LV, the cactus on the other side during the return trip.

That said, I am glad you have not only programmed for the 2600, but are taking the time to make physical carts, boxes, and t-shirts.

You have to really love the hardware to do all that, or love the joke/game aspect of it to invest your money and time to do all that.

For some clarification, the videos were taken with the beta build of the game early on in development. The final build has no lines. Also, the beta build had options to skip the various milemarkers in order for demonstration purposes. After that video was taken, we began playtesting and had removed various bugs. The game has been played to completion multiple times on our end to work them all out, including the lines.

Thanks for the praise, it's sort of a mixture of both. We love the medium of the 2600 and we went with a hands on approach to do something personal with this game to learn the process. It really is more of a labor of love than anything else really.

And without further ado...

The legendary unreleased SegaCD gaming classic is now coming to the 2600! Do you have what it takes to master the Desert Bus?

dbcart.jpg

1006243_137564656450890_580535719_n.jpg

1098030_10201294351654433_628233995_n.jp

Price: TBD - Release date: Early Oct 2013!

This is an interest list for the cart only version of Desert Bus 2600. After a (hopefully) successful ultra limited run of carts, we'll move forward with a boxed copy.

Every copy comes with a flyer of upcoming titles and an air freshener! Questions? Comments? Feel free to ask or PM!

List:

1. Atari2600Lives

Like us on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/DesertBus2600

id like to be added to the list....