IGNORED

Atari 65XE Arabic

oblonskij

• 4 years later...

just necro-bumping, with a recent discovery.

i don't know how many were aware, but, as few of these that actually exists there's an even rarer variant.

the standard 65XE NAJM (nijem nejm) "star" comes with two clear visible identifying marks

1] the mobo is marked "65XEN" and the letter "G" on the keyboard has two Arabic characters that look like jJ

2] the rarer flavour has a mobo marked 130XE 64x4 rev 1 and the letter G has only ONE Arabic character the larger J.

of my four, 3 match to type 1 and the other matches to type 2.

hope this helps add more info

Edited by Guest

just necro-bumping, with a recent discovery.

i don't know how many were aware, but, as few of these that actually exists there's an even rarer variant.

the standard 65XE NAJM (nijem nejm) "star" comes with two clear visible identifying marks

1] the mobo is marked "65XEN" and the letter "G" on the keyboard has two Arabic characters that look like jJ

2] the rarer flavour has a mobo marked 130XE 64x4 rev 1 and the letter G has only ONE Arabic character the larger J.

of my four, 3 match to type 1 and the other matches to type 2.

hope this helps add more info

Pics of the 65XEN board both sides would be nice.

Just (this afternoon) I took pictures of them all together.

Unfortunately, I didn't think (before closing up the cases) to photograph the underside.

Jon (FJC) has done some work on the first two for me (top of picture) - keyboard/ram repair on first and OS Rom repair on second.

nos 3 & 4 are fully working but just need a clean.

Hope this will do though. - Picture 1 - all four boards, Picture 2 - shows difference in keyboards "G"

post-39567-0-74291800-1505492036_thumb.jpg

post-39567-0-15521700-1505492105_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

Interesting.. As Kheller points out above, one keyboard variation has both the initial and terminal/independant forms of the letter Lam. The second variation (which he purports to be more rare) only has the terminal/independent form of Lam on the G keycap.

Mine is the latter version, and the box (which matches the serial number) was marked SA which is presumably Saudi Arabia...

I came across this ad from 1988 posted on Twitter for the Atari Najm 65XE in Arabic from an old magazine in Saudi Arabia. It basically says: 'Najm Atari is my Choice!' [the word "Choice" rhymes with the word "Atari" in Arabic]. It continues to say: 'It is the easiest of which I could start my journey into the world of computers. It is ideal due to the technical specifications distinguishing it, in addition to a large number of educational and recreational games. It has the most appropriate price because I get a lot compared to the price!'

On the left there is a ribbon that says: 'Free a training session for one week.'

The box is says: 'Najm Atari 65XE Power without the price'. This is the first time I see the box of the Najm Atari (even in black and white).

Expected by those who live in the region, this ad has the aDawliah company logo--a company who is believed to have created lots of content for the Atari in Arabic, which unfortunately is super hard to find today.

post-47812-0-98420400-1506048074.jpg

• Like 9

Interesting.. As Kheller points out above, one keyboard variation has both the initial and terminal/independant forms of the letter Lam. The second variation (which he purports to be more rare) only has the terminal/independent form of Lam on the G keycap.

Mine is the latter version, and the box (which matches the serial number) was marked SA which is presumably Saudi Arabia...

Very curious, are you able to share with us a picture of the Najm Atari 65XE box? I am sure that is a big deal! Thanks!

yep. you're right. a variant. and as FJC points out the 4-chip version was a later one (maybe not a proto after all) but equally rare by the fact that Atari had abandoned the 8-bit line completely by this time and seemed to be using "whatever they had left" and slotting in the Arabic OS and keyboard.

i'd be interested to know how many of the "other" keyboard variants (the one with the single character "G") made it into the 130xe board?

post-39567-0-81198000-1506115726_thumb.jpgpost-39567-0-82522200-1506115765_thumb.jpg

Question (that I can't find an answer to):
The bespoke 65XEN board has only one row of circuitry for 8x ram chips, yet it also has the ECI port. why? surely, if you're releasing a machine with ECI capability and the potential for expansion in that way, you'd also allow for memory expansion to upgrade the machine if desired?

Can anybody tell me what this says exactly?

post-20947-0-37933200-1506163854.png

I assumed it meant 'najam' (i.e. a star), but that seems to be written as نجم which does not look exactly the same. How would I spell the above with (unicode) Arabic characters? And is there a way to spell Atari or did they just use the fuji symbol?

Note that my knowledge of Arabic is very limited :)

a very simple google translate gives this

ATARI = بوابة STAR = نجمة

i think "star" is pretty close. also bear i mind there are (at least) 8 different Arabic languages.

you can also factor in how the noun "star" is applied/described

نُجوم = as in; an all-star line-up

نَجْمة = as in; in the shape of a star

نَجْم = as in; celebrity - superstar

كَوْكَب = as in; planet

i'm thinking "celebrity/superstar" is the closest.

Edited by Guest

i think "star" is pretty close. also bear i mind there are (at least) 8 different Arabic languages.

كَوْكَب = as in; planet

Well, here is a free Arabic lesson :)

NAJM = نجم

Is referred to STAR. e.g. Look at this STAR in the sky. So, "Vega" is a STAR/نجم

The plural of STAR/ نجم is STARS/ نجوم

In English, a celebrity is a STAR and in Arabic it is also called نجم

I would like to clarify the actual meaning and structure of the word نجمة

نجمة is for a single female of نجم (which is for a single "male" name)

In Arabic adding the letter (Ta'a) "ة" or "ت" (T in English) to the end of so many names or verbs or adjectives, will change the words from a male to female . Example: (Human/ انسان to Human/ انسانة)

Thus:

نجم is a single "male" Star

نجمة is a single "female" Star

نجمان are for two Stars (male)

نجمتان are for two Stars (female)

نجوم are the plural of نجم ) male

نجمات are the plural of نجمة) female

And there are a lot more About نجم :D

madi

Edited by Madi
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Can anybody tell me what this says exactly?

attachicon.gifarabic.png

I assumed it meant 'najam' (i.e. a star), but that seems to be written as نجم which does not look exactly the same. How would I spell the above with (unicode) Arabic characters? And is there a way to spell Atari or did they just use the fuji symbol?

Note that my knowledge of Arabic is very limited :)

The word نجم consists of 3 letters: ن - ج - م. They are either come at the end of the word or typed alone,

the above letters identical to: N - J - M in English

Wen these three letters are connected they become نـ - جـ - م

the shape of the letters in Arabic changes according to its position in the word. This produces the so very rich and beautiful Arabic calligraphy/fonts. Literally, unlimited.

madi

Edited by Madi
  • Like 2

كَوْكَب = as in; planet

I think @Madi has given a very good and informative lesson in Arabic. I also would like to share some additional thoughts: Atari does not mean بوابة (despite Google's translation). It is unfortunately wrong. The word بوابة transliterated as Bawwabah means "gate."

Also, there is only one Arabic language---everything else you might listen to out there are just dialects (e.g., Levantine dialect, Egyptian dialect, Gulf Dialect, Western dialect). However, Arabic is not the only language that uses this letterset. It could be that what you meant, but I am not sure how many they are (I can think of Arabic, Persian, Urdu, Kurdish, and Ottoman Turkish on top of my head).

Atari Najm is literally the "Atari Superstar" as you rightly found out.

Atari is spelled in Arabic as أتاري. It was not spelled on Atari Najm name tag.

Edited by atari65xenajm
  • Like 3

I think @Madi has given a very good and informative lesson in Arabic. I also would like to share some additional thoughts: Atari does not mean بوابة (despite Google's translation). It is unfortunately wrong. The word بوابة transliterated as Bawwabah means "gate."

Also, there is only one Arabic language---everything else you might listen to out there are just dialects (e.g., Levantine dialect, Egyptian dialect, Gulf Dialect, Western dialect). However, Arabic is not the only language that uses this letterset. It could be that what you meant, but I am not sure how many they are (I can think of Arabic, Persian, Urdu, Kurdish, and Ottoman Turkish on top of my head).

Atari Najm is literally the "Atari Superstar" as you rightly found out.

Atari is spelled in Arabic as أتاري. It was not spelled on Atari Najm name tag.

thanks atari65xenajm. i was coming at this completely blind. so my "guesswork" was from a position of complete ignorance.

I' pleased i managed to get the "superstar" thing right. it did seem like the nearest actual shaping of the lettering

So, somebody here complained that I pointed out that that ad clearly shows that women are second grade human beings in countries like Saudi Arabia and following that, without ANY notification or even asking about it the posting was removed.

OK. so someone here was "hurt" because I say women are treated second rate in countries like Saudi Arabia.

First of all, you would be a real MAN if you would send me a PM about your hurt feelings.....and we could discuss it like real men do.

Instead that person decided to sneakily report my posting......way to go !

Well _ I _ am hurt by that advertisement and so is my wife. It is discriminating and sexist.

It goes against EVERYTHING I believe in, freedom, equality of sexes and human rights.

I have submitted a complaint about the post with the ad. It should be taken down.

Edited by Level42