IGNORED

Wii U Deluxe $299 - Bye Bye Basic

DaytonaUSA

The difference is that Wii Sports was (IMO) fun as a single player experience. I still play Wii Bowling to this day.

I've only played NintendoLand a handful of times and have no real desire to play it again in the fore seeable future.

That's interesting, I felt the opposite. Nintendo Land for me offered a huge variety of games with vastly different gameplay styles which made the single player experience enjoyable. Unlocking features motivated me to perform better at each game, as longer gameplay sessions and experimentation with new games out of my comfort zone equated to larger coin payoffs (which then allowed me to play the retro coin drop game to unlock goodies like songs in the jukebox or other random things in my park). Another factor that kept me playing were the higher difficulty modes made available after a while, as well as varying specific-game goals/achievements. I like a good challenge, so for me going for the Master rank on each level in the Zelda spin-off title was intense. Then there is the example of Balloon Trip that doubles (and then triples, I think?) in length after you complete it once or twice all the way through. At its peak length and difficulty, it's a pretty challenging game, unlike the stock mode that is available when you first have access to the game. All of these factors combined, for me anyway, made for a really fun single player experience.

Don't underestimate the awesomeness of NintendoLand.

I dunno, after seeing your strongly positive comments I went out to youtube and watched some of their strongly positive reviews. Nobody has anything bad to say about the game, but just looking at it, I still really don't think that it's something I could have all that much fun with. A couple of the most interesting looking games (f-zero and balloon fight) look like they'd be a lot more fun without the wii-u tablet interface, but I already have a lot of nintendo systems like that.

Edited by Reaperman

I didnt think Nintendo Land was good at all from a single player perspective, or for that matter multiplayer for my purposes.

With Wii Sports, even my 75 year old at the time grandmother played bowling. That game was truly pick up and play by ANYONE.

My mother, who hadn't played a video game since Duck Hunt on the NES (which she was surprisingly good at) was able to play every game in the Wii Sports library of mini games. And she REALLY enjoyed it as well.

With Nintendo Land, from a multiplayer perspective, they failed. I'm sorry, but you hand someone the gamepad who's only played Duck Hunt and Wii Bowling and tell them all the buttons and commands they have to do..... it doesn't go over well at all. There was simply nothing simple and fun enough for that "Wii" demographic (let's face it, when you call it Wii U, it needs to cater to the Wii demographic as well). I'm not saying Wii U games should be as simple as Wii games, but your pack in title meant for casual players certainly should be.

As far as single player portions of Nintendo Land, I was very disappointed. Some games were ok, but only for a few minutes, then I was done. Unlike Bowling which I could play for over an hour or two and have fun.

Furthermore, some games were honestly broken. The perfect example being F-Zero, where by the third portion of the race, the tilt controls would always become completely out of wack and uncallibrated. Sure, there was a command that would calibrate it, but if your craft turns left when center, and you need to make your character go back to going straight.. what do you do? You turn right!

Well, when you turn right and hit calibrate, what happens? You go straight into a wall on the right. Game Over. It's a twitch reaction obstacle avoidance title. You don't have time to mess with calibration 1 minute in. And considering I never had problems with any racing games on the Wii that used tilt controls, like Mario Kart Wii or Excite Truck (which my movements were MUCH more frantic than anything I did in the F-Zero title and the controls always stayed true), I have no idea why this was even something that was a problem at all.

So no, for those saying NIntendo Land is better in both single player and multiplayer, I don't agree. Wii Sports sold like crazy BECAUSE it was so great at what it did. Nintendo Land doesn't have the same effect on people, and it's lack of ability to drive units is indicative of it's lack of greatness in my eyes.

Nintendo Land was boring and frustrating. Not the pack in I wanted, that's for sure. Nintendo Land felt like they were trying to go after the casual user and the hard core user at the same time by meeting somewhere in the middle, and it just didn't work as at least with my experience, the game didn't end up appealing to either casuals or hard cores. Throw in the mechanical issues with some games, and it just felt like a poor man's pack in title on a system that was trying to figure out what the hell it was and who it was being marketed to.

Edited by DaytonaUSA
  • Like 2

Its not a idoit game but my 5 year old plays it easily.. at age 5 your not a master gamer yet..i guess wii boxing had everyone trained to swing frantically and win. any skill you will lose.. as a boxer myself my 9 year old ko:s me in wii boxing..

I'd love to have seen that...

Furthermore, some games were honestly broken. The perfect example being F-Zero, where by the third portion of the race, the tilt controls would always become completely out of wack and uncallibrated. Sure, there was a command that would calibrate it, but if your craft turns left when center, and you need to make your character go back to going straight.. what do you do? You turn right!

Well, when you turn right and hit calibrate, what happens? You go straight into a wall on the right. Game Over. It's a twitch reaction obstacle avoidance title. You don't have time to mess with calibration 1 minute in. And considering I never had problems with any racing games on the Wii that used tilt controls, like Mario Kart Wii or Excite Truck (which my movements were MUCH more frantic than anything I did in the F-Zero title and the controls always stayed true), I have no idea why this was even something that was a problem at all.

To each their own I suppose when it comes to enjoying Nintendo Land as a whole. I can say for certain though that I have never had this happen to me with the F-Zero game. Perhaps you are throwing the controller around or twisting it too hard, when the game rewards smoother, finessed movements (and your ship can only turn so far). I don't know, it's only a guess, I can't say for sure.

I didn't really like Nintendo Land either and I have to agree about some titles like F-Zero. Felt it was a teach me touchpad mini game marathon with controls that weren't always friendly. Nice collectible stuff to do in it but thats hardly a reason for me to fire that title up. Wish it was like in the old days where you used to get a standard game with a system. New Super Mario Brothers U pack in would have made the price a little more worth it. Oh well. It is what it is, we get a so so pack in with the Wii U and no pack ins with other systems. lol.

Love modern gaming. :P

Edited by cimerians

Wish it was like in the old days where you used to get a standard game with a system. New Super Mario Brothers U pack in would have made the price a little more worth it. Oh well. It is what it is, we get a so so pack in with the Wii U and no pack ins with other systems. lol.

Love modern gaming. :P

As much as I personally enjoy Nintendo Land, I have to agree. A standard one-style game would be much more appropriate. Nintendo Land should have perhaps been one of the other flagship first-party titles that people buy separate.

The problem to me with Nintendo Land is the sheer amount of variety if offers. It's not conducive to fist-time play. It requires time be put into it to appreciate all it has to offer. It doesn't feel very rewarding to play any specific game in it until you've gotten to the higher levels of gameplay (like the later stages of the Zelda game, or perfecting the goals or beating an old score. In these cases it can actually get pretty damn hard). It also feels very bare when you first play it. Yes, it was more than likely meant to be that way, but when you buy a brand new system for $350, you want to be wowed right away, not bombarded with emptiness and loads of tutorial videos that explain how to play each segment of each mini-game (which slows down the pace of things, big time).

Something like New Super Mario Bros U would have been more reminiscent of the NES or SNES days where most machines in the beginning came packed with the game. Everyone would know they were getting MARIO--a side-scrolling one, to boot--and not a mish-mash of different gameplay styles that most people can't seem to agree upon whether they like it or not (or haven't experienced enough of it to even appropriately get to that point without sounded inexperienced with it).

Something like New Super Mario Bros U would have been more reminiscent of the NES or SNES days where most machines in the beginning came packed with the game. Everyone would know they were getting MARIO--a side-scrolling one, to boot--and not a mish-mash of different gameplay styles that most people can't seem to agree upon whether they like it or not (or haven't experienced enough of it to even appropriately get to that point without sounded inexperienced with it).

That would have been sooooo perfect. Just like the old days where you open the box and throw on a full Mario game and play for weeks non-stop.

It would have been cool if they threw in a few classics as pre-loaded downloads when you purchase a Wii U. Besides the games are tied to systems not accounts so it wouldn't be a problem.

It puzzles me to no end with Nintendo. They could easily make a killing with sales with simple ideas...and just being a little bit like the old Nintendo.

To each their own I suppose when it comes to enjoying Nintendo Land as a whole. I can say for certain though that I have never had this happen to me with the F-Zero game. Perhaps you are throwing the controller around or twisting it too hard, when the game rewards smoother, finessed movements (and your ship can only turn so far). I don't know, it's only a guess, I can't say for sure.

That's what I thought. I must be doing something wrong. But I wasn't moving the gamepad wildly or anything. In fact I play excite truck more wildly than I ever did f Zero. I actually called Nintendo back then. They said they were aware of the issue and that's why there was a calibrate option built into the game during play. Didn't really help.

Then again I haven't had a Wii u since like, may. Maybe they've patched it since them and that's by you never had a problem.

This is great news!

Now just:

1 or 2 more price cuts, a plethora of "Greatest Hits" $20 new titles, and a savory used game market, and I'm there!

Don't laugh. It happens every time. I have probably 10x more games than I can ever play in my lifetime, and I'm sure those who are ready to pipe-up do to. I'm just glad the predictable first-step has transpired. Now for some great holiday titles that will eventually hit 20-bucks.

This is great news!

Now just:

1 or 2 more price cuts, a plethora of "Greatest Hits" $20 new titles, and a savory used game market, and I'm there!

Don't laugh. It happens every time. I have probably 10x more games than I can ever play in my lifetime, and I'm sure those who are ready to pipe-up do to. I'm just glad the predictable first-step has transpired. Now for some great holiday titles that will eventually hit 20-bucks.

Not really the best way to support the industry. I can understand being swamped with a ton of games to play. But only supporting good games when they're bargain basement prices doesn't really help the developer, nor the hardware company. Nintendo needs people who believe in their product to support them. Heck, all three do. Without early purchases, the beloved franchises go away due to what they perceive is a lack of interest. It happened to F-Zero, despite the fact people realized GX was an amazing game…after it went down to 19 bucks. And we haven't seen a console sequel since.

While it might be cost effective, there are certain companies/developers and ips that I support every time, with each release from day one. The games that I really don't want to stop coming because sales were initially poor.

Call me crazy. Just my opinion. It's also why the only used games I buy are on dead systems. I feel kinda dirty enjoying someone's creativity without paying them directly. Then again, maybe that's just the inner graphic designer in me.

That would have been sooooo perfect. Just like the old days where you open the box and throw on a full Mario game and play for weeks non-stop.

Well they would probably rather have you spend an extra $60 on Mario and treat Nintendoland as a throwaway title. I wonder if they thought the same would be true with wii sports but so many people bought the system just for it and just stopped there. Someone on here made the comparison of the wii to a piece of exercise equipment that is used for a bit and then tossed in the attic, which is a great and appropriate analogy.

Including the mario game, now that I think of it, would have been a great hand in hand tactic to go along with the price drop. Between the price drop, including mario, and the upcoming 1st party titles, the Wii U would have a very solid chance at increasing its odds of success.

Edited by AtariLeaf

Aside from the time I played xenoblade, the comparison of the wii to excersize equipment is pretty accurate. Comparing the wii u is not though. All my other consoles have taken a backseat to the wii U. I love this system as much as I loved the dreamcast when it was released. Monster hunter is getting the most playtime, but the new splinter cell is closing in. Ive seen alot of talk about nintendo land. I think as a multiplayer game it can be fun, but by yourself it has only a few standout games. The donkey kong level is pretty unique and I do play that one alot, but the Pikmin mini game could almost be a stand alone title. That is probably the best game on the disk.

Well they would probably rather have you spend an extra $60 on Mario and treat Nintendoland as a throwaway title. I wonder if they thought the same would be true with wii sports but so many people bought the system just for it and just stopped there. Someone on here made the comparison of the wii to a piece of exercise equipment that is used for a bit and then tossed in the attic, which is a great and appropriate analogy.

Including the mario game, now that I think of it, would have been a great hand in hand tactic to go along with the price drop. Between the price drop, including mario, and the upcoming 1st party titles, the Wii U would have a very solid chance at increasing its odds of success.

• Like 1

Aside from the time I played xenoblade, the comparison of the wii to excersize equipment is pretty accurate. Comparing the wii u is not though. All my other consoles have taken a backseat to the wii U. I love this system as much as I loved the dreamcast when it was released. Monster hunter is getting the most playtime, but the new splinter cell is closing in. Ive seen alot of talk about nintendo land. I think as a multiplayer game it can be fun, but by yourself it has only a few standout games. The donkey kong level is pretty unique and I do play that one alot, but the Pikmin mini game could almost be a stand alone title. That is probably the best game on the disk.

Just curious..... have you experienced any sound issues with Splinter Cell? Some Wii U users are reporting sound cutting in & out during cut scenes, while others say if you change the sound from surround to stereo then there is no problem at all. Supposedly UBIsoft is looking into it and says they will patch if necessary.

I was planning on getting the game but when I read about the sound issues I decided to delay and see what developed. Just wondering what your experience has been.

Not really the best way to support the industry. I can understand being swamped with a ton of games to play. But only supporting good games when they're bargain basement prices doesn't really help the developer, nor the hardware company. Nintendo needs people who believe in their product to support them. Heck, all three do. Without early purchases, the beloved franchises go away due to what they perceive is a lack of interest. It happened to F-Zero, despite the fact people realized GX was an amazing game…after it went down to 19 bucks. And we haven't seen a console sequel since.

While it might be cost effective, there are certain companies/developers and ips that I support every time, with each release from day one. The games that I really don't want to stop coming because sales were initially poor.

Call me crazy. Just my opinion. It's also why the only used games I buy are on dead systems. I feel kinda dirty enjoying someone's creativity without paying them directly. Then again, maybe that's just the inner graphic designer in me.

When I was a youngster, I was taught that - advertising and associated bullshit nothwithstanding - its all an elaborate ruse to separate me from my money. It doesn't matter what the industry. Video games, automobiles, movies, computers, WHATEVER. I consider this a valuable lesson to be subjected to, in one's formative years. I also submit to you that IF....****IF**** (!!!!!!) this was taught to youngsters today, perhaps they'd be more level-headed.

Another formative moment was when I first watched Al Pacino's masterpiece "Scarface." Incredible flick. Remember the scene where he's negotiating on a drug deal (let's disregard morality, or perceived/fictional/fantasy/imaginary morality) and arrive at the fact of how things work. Tony Montana said it best: "I know this game. You go HIGH, I go LOW." I submit to you that despite the fact that a videogame is not an illegal drug purchase, Montana's economic observation is accurate and applies. It is my duty to procure goods and services at the lowest prices possible. I submit - also - that not doing such is the action of fools, and I agree that this probably "drives" (FUNDS!) this industry. Good for them. Not this kid. I apologize if wanting to buy at the lowest price possible is a crime; I submit that I am not the only one who feels this way, and I welcome a healthy debate on the topic. :)

• Like 2

It is my duty to procure goods and services at the lowest prices possible. I submit - also - that not doing such is the action of fools, and I agree that this probably "drives" (FUNDS!) this industry. Good for them. Not this kid. I apologize if wanting to buy at the lowest price possible is a crime; I submit that I am not the only one who feels this way, and I welcome a healthy debate on the topic. :)

So, you are the reason manufacturing has moved overseas and into sweatshops staffed by 8-year-olds. You are the reason Wal-Mart is the force that it is and why their workforce is underpaid. When you go cheap, businesses will do what they can to recoup costs, which usually means taking their production elsewhere or punishing their workers.

I, for one, will reward quality. If that means paying more, so be it.

Signed,

A Fool

Skarrj, on 03 Sept 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:Aside from the time I played xenoblade, the comparison of the wii to excersize equipment is pretty accurate. Comparing the wii u is not though. All my other consoles have taken a backseat to the wii U. I love this system as much as I loved the dreamcast when it was released. Monster hunter is getting the most playtime, but the new splinter cell is closing in. Ive seen alot of talk about nintendo land. I think as a multiplayer game it can be fun, but by yourself it has only a few standout games. The donkey kong level is pretty unique and I do play that one alot, but the Pikmin mini game could almost be a stand alone title. That is probably the best game on the disk.

I've gotta say that I love this console as well and I haven't found consoles to be anything more than a means to an end since maybe the SNES or N64. There's just a charm to it that I can't put my finger on that makes it incredibly appealing.

So, you are the reason manufacturing has moved overseas and into sweatshops staffed by 8-year-olds. You are the reason Wal-Mart is the force that it is and why their workforce is underpaid. When you go cheap, businesses will do what they can to recoup costs, which usually means taking their production elsewhere or punishing their workers.

I, for one, will reward quality. If that means paying more, so be it.

Signed,

A Fool

Yeah, **I AM** the reason. HA HA HA!!! Listen to yourself? Where ever did I say that? That shit **IS** going on now, and would have been even if my parents had never F**CKED. Try again. I'd like to think that you are capable of higher reasoning. If you **really** think I am responsible, "I have a bridge I would like to sell you." Look that reference up, if you are from another culture.

Yeah, **I AM** the reason. HA HA HA!!! Listen to yourself? Where ever did I say that? That shit **IS** going on now, and would have been even if my parents had never F**CKED. Try again. I'd like to think that you are capable of higher reasoning. If you **really** think I am responsible, "I have a bridge I would like to sell you." Look that reference up, if you are from another culture.

Sorry, I don't debate with crazy. Enjoy your cheap shit.

• Like 1