IGNORED

Atari 8-bit USB Power Adapter on Ebay

cncfreak

As I mentioned before, mine works - and I was using the Samsung Galaxy Note II charger.

Also it works with the Apple 12 watt charger, that they sell for $19.99

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter

Sounds like something is bad though... since your asus doesn't charge either - hmmm what size did your asus come with?

Nexus 7 has a 10 watt, which should be plenty...

I would see if the seller would exchange it. It seems like all your other parts are working fine. I notice he doesn't have any more of those for sale and is now selling a full adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

So I figure I'd close the loop on this topic. Having no luck I sent a msg back to the seller who graciously offered to refund my money and pay to have it shipped back to him. I told him if he could suggest a USB adapter that he knows works I would get it - he then told me he was having issues with the USB cable and is not going to make them (prob due to people like me :) ) - he is building the cables with the power adapter already on them like the ebay listing above.

Anyhow he offered to replace my cord with the new one which I got today and it works great - no more brick to lug around. The ebay seller has great customer service.

I left that seller his one negative on ebay. Long story short, I purchased an Apple IIc power supply for maybe $30.

Auiction said fully tested..but all three of my IIc computer rebooted for no reason after a few minutes. I sent the seller a link to a video I made of the IIc rebooting with his supply and working fine with a stock one. He agreed to refund me and did not state any other conditions. After a day or so of not getting refunded I asked when he would refund my paypal account.

He told me as soon as I sent it back. When I said I didn't want spend even a dollar to send it back because A. It clearly could not have been tested. B. He had already agreed to refund me.

He got angry and started saying something about my youtube video being meant to hurt his reputation. something along those lines

Anyway I figured screw him for going back on his word and left the neg. I still have that piece of shit adapter in a drawer somewhere.

Funny thing is, the year before I purchased an A8 power supply made from an Altec Lansing speaker set. I went back and checked and it was from this same seller.

Edited by Official Ninja

Funny enough, I actually made a power supply for my 130XE based on a USB charger I had on hand. It was rated for 1.2A, but seems to do a good job powering the 130XE anyway, even with the RAM upgrade. My charger was the kind with the cord permanently attached, though. I just cut off the USB connector on the end and soldered on a DIN plug.

• 2 years later...

TL;DR: This "can" work. The cable might be built wrong, and doesn't "negotiate" (or signal) it wants more than 500ma USB spec.

Quite possible you'd need to test and modify this cable, if it's doing high-power USB wrong.

Those saying "it's up to the device how much current to draw" are correct only in the conventional sense. USB is a different beast.

A USB-spec power supply must not allow more than 500ma unless the device unambiguously asks for more, using resistance on the DATA lines.

Now if a USB device tries to pull more current, then the power supply is supposed to either trip an overload/break, or use a current circuit to 500ma.

I'm just a hobbyist with electronics... I'm not best at explaining things since knowing the answer and explaining are different things.

So read the REFERENCES. :-)

summary:

For a USB-spec power supply to allow > 500ma, the device pulling current needs to do one of a few things:

1. Negotiate power using USB spec protocol (true negotiation is not usually found in wall-plug USB)
  2. device or cable manipulates voltage on the Data lines (so instead of 5v, uses resistors to let the power supply see, say 2.75v on data lines instead of the normal 5V). If successful, the power supply will permit greater current on the USB power lines.
  3. Some power supplies will release more power if you use a "power only (no data)" cable.

FYI - this guy was successful with a DIY cable and his power supply:

http://www.raphnet.net/divers/atari130xe/index_en.php

REFERENCES:

* https://www.voltaicsystems.com/blog/choosing-usb-pin-voltages-for-iphones-and-ipads/

* https://learn.adafruit.com/minty-boost/icharging

* http://www.speedguide.net/faq/how-do-usb-devices-draw-more-than-05-amps-without-414

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently picked up a USB current meter and used it to see what the power consumption of my XEGS was like in conjunction with an iPad charger. With a normal cart I got about 630 mA while the MyIDE II pushed that to nearly 800 mA. The voltage was about 5.13 V which is a bit high but still within tolerance. I was mainly worried that this whole setup would only be limited to 500 mA, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm guessing it's because my homemade USB cable only has 5V and ground hooked up while the data lines are disconnected.

Edited by ApolloBoy

• 2 months later...