IGNORED

Jaguar (Is it worth tracking one down?)

saverofgames

There are a couple of sellers selling sealed games for around 19-25. Some of the uncommon stuff will go from 49 to 100. Then there are the battle-sphere gold completely asinine prices.

Some of the uncommons like rayman, atari karts and missile command you can find loose for cheaper...then go to myatari and buy brand new boxes to complete.

I was just on that site. Thanks for your help!

Jaguar simply wasn't a good enough system, with games that made much of an impression, for the time. SNES and Genesis were going strong, and people began to hear the Sony rumblings. Jaguar had nothing in 3rd party support, thanks to it's prospects, and what was left of Atari Corp. spent every dime they had supporting/marketing it. Wasn't enough to compete with the budgets of Sega or Nintendo.

Sure, I own all the systems I mentioned, and more. Like bennybingo suggests, the Jag mainly appeals to those who are already rabid fans for one reason or another (or without reason).

I don't know about finding games "on the cheap"; worthwhile games like Rayman typically will run you $40+ for a loose copy. Sure, you can find White Men Can't Jump for five dollars, but do you want to?

This isn't necessarily true. I became interested after playing Tempest 2000 at Game On, a travelling exhibition of the history of gaming. Being from Australia, we don't really know anything about it, since Atari went bust before the Jaguar could get to here. All anyone knows of Atari here is the 2600, and maybe the ST.

Anyway, I think it is worth getting one at a reasonable price. Maybe not worth COLLECTING everything for, but worth getting to actually play on it. I think I probably have about 8 or 9 games for it, and that's maybe 2 or 3 too many. Two games that are fairly cheap and fun to play are Tempest 2000 and Super Burnout (burnout is fun with two players at any rate). Iron Soldier is very cheap, yet quite good. I was also going to suggest Cannon Fodder but that seems to be going up a bit. Same with Raiden. But certainly worth it if you can snare them at the right price (",)

I say no, don't buy a Jag and the Jaguar is my favorite system of all time. But I'm being selfish. I'm a fan boy of Atari in general, but I'm not wearing blinders, I don't own several Atari computers and consoles becuase I don't care for them that much, the Jag is one I do care for though. I own plenty of other consoles too, though I do tend to like the "underdog" as I have a 3DO and have owned Saturn, Dreamcast, SegaCD as well as PSX/PS2 xbox/xbox360 too, which are, of course "main stream." But I say no to anyone unsure of the Jaguar, and to any here who say no for other reasons, I suggest you sell off your Jag stuff. The costs are sky-rocketing due to demand and over-all rarity of everything compared to successful systems, and I'd like those who are unsure or don't care for the Jag so much to not buy, or sell, so prices drop again for us true fans.

And I've got plenty of good reasons why my Jag is my fav console, a lot of great and unique games in my opinion. If you don't think so...GOOD. I don't need anyones approval for what I like.

Edited by Gunstar

I say no, don't buy a Jag and the Jaguar is my favorite system of all time. But I'm being selfish. I'm a fan boy, but I'm not wearing blinders, I own plenty of other consoles too, though I do tend to like the "underdog" as I have a 3DO and have owned Saturn, Dreamcast, SegaCD as well as PSX/PS2 xbox/xbox360 too, which are, of course "main stream." But I say no to anyone unsure of the Jaguar, and to any here who say no for other reasons, I suggest you sell off your Jag stuff. The costs are sky-rocketing due to demand and over-all rarity of everything compared to successful systems, and I'd like those who are unsure or don't care for the Jag so much to not buy, or sell, so prices drop again for us true fans.

And I've got plenty of good reasons why my Jag is my fav console, a lot of great and unique games in my opinion. If you don't think so...GOOD. I don't need anyones approval for what I like.

Well, from what I was reading there were some pretty fantastic games for the Jag. I don't own any Jag stuff at all. That is about to change since, I am going to add one to my collection soon. I too am a huge fan of the "less popular" systems out there.

I will say this; I have NEVER, EVER, had anyone who has come into my home and have seen and played my Jaguar walk away with anything other than a favorible impression of the console, and wondering why they never heard of it or listened to the critics who bashed it. And though I have always steered clear of a few of the Jag's worse games, I have shown many that are thought of as bad games, it seems, in general, but that I like, and those I have shown have also liked. Like Blue Lightning and Fight for Life for example, many think these are very sub-par games, but I've always liked them, and so to all to whom I have ever shown and played.

They say "birds of a feather, flock together." So maybe everyone I've shown (a lot) are just like-minded with me...

Edited by Gunstar

Its controller stinks, but it's still a fun system to play on many of its games. My point was that the OP will find other systems are far easier to collect, and cheaper, and have a larger library of good games. There's no active Jaguar flash cart either, so like I said you're stuck buying the games. Everyone is welcome to collect it, but I wouldn't do it in favor of a list of contemporary systems (SNES, Genesis, Saturn, PS1, N64, etc.).

The Jag isn't that bad that people generally say most of the time without knowing what they are talking about: it is not a 2 games only system as it is commonly heard (AvP and Tempest 2000).

It has a bit more good games than that: what's about Super Burn Out, Ultra Vortek, Iron Soldier, Atari Kart or Vid Grid? They are not well known but many players would confirm that they are very good too.

Now the Jag is known for having only bad games. It has clearly some like Supercross 3D or Club Drive but if you check the games the Jag has you will see most of them are hits taken from others 16 bits systems or computers: Myst, Cannon Fodder, Doom, Dragon's Lair, Flashback, Pifall, Power Drive Rally, Raiden, Primal Rage, Rayman, Space Ace, Theme Park, Wolf3D, Worms, Zool2.

Why those hits on others systems would be transformed into crappy games on Jaguar?

Rayman and Doom on Jag are even said to be amongst the best versions of those games if not the best.

And last but not least: don't forget to pay a look to the homebrew scene which has several excellent titles like Downfall, Elansar, Impulse X, Tube

• Like 1

The Jag isn't that bad that people generally say most of the time without knowing what they are talking about: it is not a 2 games only system as it is commonly heard (AvP and Tempest 2000).

It has a bit more good games than that: what's about Super Burn Out, Ultra Vortek, Iron Soldier, Atari Kart or Vid Grid? They are not well known but many players would confirm that they are very good too.

Indeed! As far as $90 Mario Kart knockoffs go, Atari Karts is decidedly playable. Iron Soldier is fun & cheap, Burn Out is cheap but you'd better like motorcycle racers, and I still need to get a copy of Vortek before people (sellers) decide it's more valuable than they should.

I will say this; I have NEVER, EVER, had anyone who has come into my home and have seen and played my Jaguar walk away with anything other than a favorible impression of the console, and wondering why they never heard of it or listened to the critics who bashed it. And though I have always steered clear of a few of the Jag's worse games, I have shown many that are thought of as bad games, it seems, in general, but that I like, and those I have shown have also liked. Like Blue Lightning and Fight for Life for example, many think these are very sub-par games, but I've always liked them, and so to all to whom I have ever shown and played.

They say "birds of a feather, flock together." So maybe everyone I've shown (a lot) are just like-minded with me...

I will start by saying I agree with this... But at the same time.. It may not be worth it, simply due to cost and the fact that most it's library is available on the Playstation/Saturn, or similar games. AVP is definitely the standout Jag title, followed closely by Doom and Tempest 2000 I'd say(I never really got into the homebrew titles so I can't say anything on that). You can get doom on basically every console of all time, Tempest has a PS1 and Saturn version, and although it's not as good, Alien Trilogy for the Saturn/PS1 is a similar title to AVP. The weird kind of fun games are what I use my Jaguar for (Brutal Sports Football, Attack of the Mutant Penguins). They're quirky, cheap, and the kind of games you can't find anywhere else. Is it worth the price of admission? Honestly up to you I'd say.

Nice to see you still going strong! Jag was and is still one of the best! tadowhere

Edited by 4getdat

Yes and yes. Was even touted as a Jaguar exclusive for a while. Guess nobody could argue that the Jaguar version of Rayman *is* exclusive to the Jaguar. :lol:

All versions of Rayman have a uniqueness all their own, with some different levels and other differences. They are all exclusive in that sense, you can own every version and have some unique experiences with each. To me, Jaguar Rayman looks the best in the color depth of the graphics, Though other versions, since on CD, have better music and the extra rom space on disc allows for extras like Rayman talking, more parallax scrolling, etc. and possibly more levels, but I've never finished any version.

Edited by Gunstar

Nice to see you still going strong! Jag was and is still one of the best! tadowhere

Thanks! and I see you are from the Chicago area, one of my old stomping grounds (though before the Jag came out). But I don't recognize your handle. Did we ever meet in person, say at MGC or something? Or maybe here at AA or even way back on Jaguar Interactive?

Just discovered these awesome reviews for the Jag-u-are... :rolling:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=atari%20jaguar%20leftover%20culture&oq=atari%20jaguar%20leftover%20culture&gs_l=youtube.3...582.4853.0.4977.29.25.0.4.4.0.168.2430.14j11.25.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.fONr8oFBhec

...if you don't feel like tracking a Jaguar down after watching these, you must be a wimp! :lol:

Re: Skyhammer... the guy goes on to say it's only a single player game, but if you own a Jaguar, your friends probably stopped coming around anyway. LMAO!!

• Like 1

I've pondered the same question and I don't have an easy answer. The Jag is a system I want to like and if I stumbled across one at the right price and time I would be hard pressed to pull the trigger. I passed on a CIB Jag on CL with a few games about 6 months ago -- seller was asking $100, which seemed reasonable. I think for myself collecting the Jag is out of the question -- prices get crazy fast. But again right price, right time and work towards getting 10-12 solid games I would actually play and enjoy, why not. Same thing for the Lynx as well -- though I would probably get a Jag before a Lynx.

Listen to me. All you need is the following.

Jaguar Console

Iron Soldier

Iron Soldier 2 on Cartridge

AVP

Doom

Flip Out

And the crowning Jewel of Tempest 2000 with a proper rotary controller and graphics set to progressive mode.

Just this little setup will provide you with a lot of fun and Tempest, I don't care what anyone says, is timeless. Been playing it since launch, every week, without fault. Every Saturday is Tempest day. Playing with friends to see who can get high score is awesome and even duel mode is great with two rotary controllers.

People who say Tempest 2K wasn't up to the task or that its just OK are nuts and should be ignored.

You can pick all of this up pretty cheaply except for Iron Soldier 2 cartridge. But its totally worth it and you'll have a good core of games that you can go back to from time to time.

This is my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)

• Like 1

I've pondered the same question and I don't have an easy answer. The Jag is a system I want to like and if I stumbled across one at the right price and time I would be hard pressed to pull the trigger. I passed on a CIB Jag on CL with a few games about 6 months ago -- seller was asking $100, which seemed reasonable. I think for myself collecting the Jag is out of the question -- prices get crazy fast. But again right price, right time and work towards getting 10-12 solid games I would actually play and enjoy, why not. Same thing for the Lynx as well -- though I would probably get a Jag before a Lynx.

The lynx is a hell of alot cheaper to collect for