IGNORED

Dumbest VCS Game Ever?

VectorGamer

EDIT: I misread. "Dumbest", not "Horrible".

OK then, I would have to vote Rubik's Cube. Why did anyone think that digitizing a cheap, ubiquitous toy would be fun?

Because it was ubiquitous. As popular as the Cube was, somebody was going to buy a video game version. Atari was betting it would be several somebodies, enough to justify the game's release.

Having said that, what's really dumb about {Atari Video|Rubik's} Cube is that it plays nothing like a real Rubik's Cube!

Because it was ubiquitous. As popular as the Cube was, somebody was going to buy a video game version. Atari was betting it would be several somebodies, enough to justify the game's release.

Yeah, that's a good point, but I was looking at it not from a business perspective, but more along the lines of it seems dumb to digitize a simple toy that is cheap to buy. Whether they did or not wasn't really my point at all. :)

Yeah, that's a good point, but I was looking at it not from a business perspective, but more along the lines of it seems dumb to digitize a simple toy that is cheap to buy.

No argument there, but that was also par for the course back then. Video games were still fairly new at home, so people were still ga-ga over things like, "Hey look! The computer's playing chess!" At least that was the assumption.

• 1 month later...

Mangia' has to be one of the weirdest VCS games, to be sure. It's kind of interesting at least, even if it isn't a particularly great game.

I wouldn't say 3D Tic-Tac-Toe or Stellar Track. Both of those games, or similar games, were popular (or at least "standard fare") on computer systems of the day. It stands to reason that there may have been some expectation that translations of games like these would appear on a console, considering that the differences between console games and computer games were perhaps less defined, or at least less understood (which wasn't helped by the fact that systems like the Atari were kind of positioned as a special class of computer, which of course they technically are; it's even in the name!). At the very least, Atari translations of these popular computer games was logical. (I only wish Stellar Track used the keyboard controller.)

Sneak 'N' Peek is a pretty dumb game in the sense that, yeah, you could just as easily play actual hide-and-seek and probably have more fun. But the same could be said for sports games (to a degree). One-on-one basketball at the park, or Atari Basketball? Rec league baseball with your buddies, or Home Run? On the other hand, of all possible recreational activities to emulate in video form, U.S. Games went with hide-and-seek. That, and it is a video game which actually requires one player to not look at the screen while the other hides. So maybe there's a point there after all. :P

How about Fun With Numbers? Basic Math served a purpose in that was calculated (pardon the pun) to sell parents on getting an Atari for their kids. But by the time the name was changed to Fun With Numbers, was that even really a thing anymore? Even if it was, wasn't there Math Gran Prix, which at least had graphics? And the Intellivision had those Electric Company games. It seems that by the time Basic Math became Fun With Numbers, it's raison d'etre was basically gone.

Mangia (which I pronounced "Man-gi-ah" when I was a kid) has to be taken in the proper context. It's a Game & Watch-style twitch game, where the player has to scramble to balance all the onscreen chaos. For what it's worth, I think the concept is innovative and clever, if a little dark. Doesn't the kid explode if he overeats? I think someone at Spectravision was watching too much Monty Python!

One Spectravision title which I thought was supremely dumb, at least from a marketing standpoint, was Tape Worm. Yes yes, I get the pun (although they're not tapes, they're cartridges!), but who's gonna want to play a game where the lead character is a disgusting parasite? It's like if Atari had named Yar's Revenge 'Bot Fly.

Topic said dumbest not greatest :P

Most epic

true...but the game is still still non-existent!!! I think you are confusing the Knight Rider game, with the Knight Rider thread. To that point, I would have to agree that the Knight Rider thread (hardwork, Kinkos and all) is both epic and the greatest (next to Backin89). :-D