IGNORED

Games that should be redone

Thomas Jentzsch

Are we discussing within the bounds of having it still be playable on the 2600 or do we mean on a newer system?

Doesn't matter. I am asking for the games which really need a remake. For the 2600 that is.

Almost any existing games could be redone better today. We have better tools, more time, more experience and (if we want) much better hardware.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Totally agree with QBert, but for a different reason. I absolutely hate the controls on that game. QBert can only move diagonally, but instead of using the 45° angles on the joystick, the game is programmed to use the 90° angles, and the manual tells you to hold the joystick at an unnatural 45° angle instead. That is not only uncomfortable, I just can't seem to get used to it and am constantly missing the jumps. It seems like such an easy thing to fix.

My second one is Donkey Kong, for obvious reasons. Better graphics and a third screen should be doable.

The third is Star Raiders. A bigger galaxy and more enemy groups to fight would make this one awesome game.

I vote for a 2600 version of Mr. Robot and his Robot Factory over a redone Miner 2049er.

Sky Diver could be better (Although the original is awesome) with smaller characters and maybe other enhancements like multi level land and platforms, the above mentioned multiscreen, and other obstacles.

Starship could use a remake. The game could be interesting if it was completely rewritten.

Brain Games - I really enjoyed the game when I was younger. I would love to see a new version, perhaps with some additional Brain Age elements

-mike

I see that some folks are requesting Donkey Kong and Defender. Are you aware of the newer versions that have been created of both games for the 2600? They are right here on Atari Age. Check them out:

Donkey Kong VCS: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206497-dk-vcs/?hl=%20donkey%20%20kong%20%20vcs

Defender Arcade: http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=952

My top three :-

1 Amidar - Complete crock. Too slow, maze way too small, gorilla a blob, need I say more?

2 Tutankham - For reasons already mentioned.

3 Burger Time - Too slow, only one enemy defined the rest are squares.

I would make exactly the same ranking.

There are other poorly ported games, but those three are really depressing spots in the 2600 library as the original versions are gems with captivating gameplay and lots of atmosphere - the ports look like early works of Cecilia Gimenez.

They really scream for getting the proper treatment on the VCS.

Zaxxon sure is a travesty of the arcade version, but it's never really been a fun game anyway IMO, so why bother....

Edited by r_type2600

Okay, I thought of another game that could seriously use an update or re-tooling... Midnight Magic!

We *really* need more pinball games for our beloved system. Lack of tables to choose from is frustrating, especially when you know the system can do pinball pretty well. I've always wanted to produce a special pinball controller with real flipper buttons on the sides. Maybe even a real plunger hooked to a microswitch for effect. :love:

• Like 1

^

That would be cool! It's kind of surprising how few (bat &) ball games are actually on the system considering that's exactly what the system was designed for! There's a game on the VIC 20 called Pinball Spectacular. It's kinda like a pinball game but with a break out feel. Something like that would be pretty groovy on the 2600.

Anyway, back on topic, Midnight Magic could do with an upgrade (and more tables). :)

• Like 2

For arcade ports, Tac-Scan and Gyruss come to mind, maybe Vanguard and Kangaroo too. I'd love to see Ugg added to the Q*bert port, which I think is quite good otherwise. Obviously games like Burgertime are probably in greater need of triage.

I'd also love to see remakes/rewrites of some of the VCS games that had good ideas, but didn't execute them as well as they might or didn't follow through enough. PAL exclusives and semi-exclusives are especially good for that: Mr. Postman, Nightmare, Time Warp, or (a couple tiers down) Forest and Parachute. I also thought Airlock was a fine idea for a game.

And Chuck Norris Superkicks still needs a proper ending!

I also don't get why people come up with Centipede and Millipede. You won't get significantly better versions of these two on 2600 unless you start using external resources like ARM CPU in Harmony Cartridge - but is it still Atari 2600? I do not think so. And god knows the 2600 versions are damn good gameplay wise.

Double Dragon has a great visual hack on Atari Age, but it needs to have an enemy stun when you start hitting them, and an enemy AI that doesn't immediately drop kick you to death. Elbows should be as simple as turning away from the enemy, and hitting the attack button. Your own drop kicks could be holding the attack button down, and hitting up.

It's frustrating to know that the 2600 could pull a decent version of the game off, but we'll never see it. Especially when that's used as the go-to example for arcade conversions too ambitious for the system.

• Like 1

Double Dragon has a great visual hack on Atari Age, but it needs to have an enemy stun when you start hitting them, and an enemy AI that doesn't immediately drop kick you to death. Elbows should be as simple as turning away from the enemy, and hitting the attack button. Your own drop kicks could be holding the attack button down, and hitting up.

There's a hack here, by Nukey Shay, that uses the extra button on a Genesis controller to improve the control scheme. I don't remember precisely how it worked off the top of my head (it's been a few years since I played it), but IIRC it made the game infinitely more playable.

I also don't get why people come up with Centipede and Millipede. You won't get significantly better versions of these two on 2600 unless you start using external resources like ARM CPU in Harmony Cartridge - but is it still Atari 2600? I do not think so. And god knows the 2600 versions are damn good gameplay wise.

Exactly what I was thinking, along with improving the graphics. I agree, the game play is great! As far as the melody board/ARM goes, if it plays on a 2600, then it is all good. Look at Pitfall II or Supercharger...

Look at Pitfall II or Supercharger...

Those are quite different. They existed back then and still mainly/only the 6507 CPU for all processing.

An ARM game only uses the 6507 during kernel display (and a few other minor spots), everything else (e.g. the whole game logic and kernel preparation) is done by the ARM.

Anyway, we are pretty off topic now. Also this has been discussed before

There's a game on the VIC 20 called Pinball Spectacular. It's kinda like a pinball game but with a break out feel.

It was also available for the C64 and I have the cart. There were three pinball breakout arcade games developed by the guy who did Pac-Man: Gee Bee, Bomb Bee and Cutie Q. Pinball Spectacular mostly resembles Bomb Bee. I would like to see Cutie Q developed for the 2600.

Aside from analog support, I think Centipede/Millipede are more than fine. Crystal Castles is right up there with Gravitar, etc. as probably as good as you're gonna get with the VCS.

I think a lot of early 2k/4k Atari titles could be pretty good targets. For example a nicer Backgammon, although I'd probably be the only one to appreciate that. :lol: Or a new bowling, or a new Breakout (maybe with "arkanoid-ish" features, etc.) Or a bigger/better Dodge-em (which really isn't all that great a game but whatever),

My vote is

1. Space War. DEFINITELY can be done 100% better.. (but wasn't there already a homebrew/hack already for this game though? I seem to remember mention of one.

2. Video Olympics/PONG.. for competitive paddle games, I think a lot can be done with some imagination. Add some effects, some powerups, better sound, some multiballs. I dunno. It has some potential. :)

3. Joust - While there's nothing wrong with the current 2600 port which I love, it just seems to me if built from the ground up again, it could be made "better". Or maybe it's just me.