IGNORED

Rename VCS Donkey Kong

VectorGamer

Cookie Kong vs Zombie Red.

Someone has noted that Mario has a white face? :P

Truth to be say, the two included levels are very reasonable for Atari 2600 capabilities, specially taking in account the diagonal floors of level 1, although sprite bitmaps/colors could have been done better.

Edited by nanochess

Barrel Bear

I didn't play this game at all "back in the day" and the first time that I saw it in emulation, I was shocked at how much it just didn't look like a gorilla. However, once you play it, you figure out that its a pretty good version of DK for the 2600. If they just could have done something about the shocking moment of seeing DK for the first time, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Maybe if it was called something like "DK Archives" that would prepare players to expect something less than what they are used to.

Gingerbread Man, Mario, and the Chocolate Chip Cookies.

And I do like this game, and liked it back in the day too.

I was upset at first that it didn't have the third and fourth boards,

but got over it once I played it on the Atari 800.

You have to have a different strategy for this one compared

to other versions, which makes it uniquely 2600.

This is easy! Considering the quality of the game, especially compared to Coleco's version, you should call it...

"Gorilla My Dreams"

EDIT: Whoops, I saw "Donkey Kong VCS" and thought you were brainstorming for names for the new Donkey Kong port.

Edited by Jess Ragan

• 2 weeks later...

Ripoff Kong

I just wonder how Gary Kitchen wound up at Coleco.. wasnt he happy at Activision or was he doing freelance work by then?

Anyway My brother bought Coleco Donkey Kong new in 1982-3. I remember thinking it looked lousy and it played too easy.

And after seeing what Colecto did to Zaxxon for the 2600 at a store demonstation (I think it was at one of those Imagic Kiosks at TG&Y or K-Mart) that turned me off from buying any Coleco 2600 games until they were being discounted cheap by the mid-late 80's. My favorite was Carnival.

Edited by WildBillTX

Jackass Monkey

Kongorilla

Saving Paulina or Paulina Save

Plumbers Wear Suspenders

Paulina Crush

Monkey Barrel

Girder Romp

Monkey Asylum

Kong Crazy

Girder Smash 'n Grab

Slaughter On Girder Avenue

Kong This!

Kong'ing The Rift

Bimbo Climb

Girder's Are Forever

Edited by save2600

• 10 months later...

Rather it just stays as Donkey Kong, but you could always do: D0NKEY K0NG (Keeping it all uppercase letters with zeros replacing O's)

Always thought Atari should have gotten the right to do a home version of "Crazy Kong". They could have re-released the 8-bit version for the 5200 and won the war! lol.

Famous programmer Garry Kitchen did an excellent job doing Donkey Kong for the VCS (there was nothing purposefully trashed, that's not even a myth), you can read the interview in 2600 Collection The lost interview with Garry Kitchen, here on AA.

Say....where can this interview be found???