IGNORED

Is there a depository of Apple II programs?

dafivehole

• 1 month later...

I lament that so many of the .dsk images are cracked copies. I feel strongly that we should have original data, but it's problematic with copy protection. I wish someone would write some software for the CFFA3000 to allow us to dump more copy protected stuff.

That archive is relatively complete, but I find it a little annoying to navigate and unzip. Still nice that it's all in one!

To me cracked is fine so long as it's not plastered like many cracks are.

Not to mention that in a way a cracked game preserves some of the history of the computer scene as it existed back then. Some of the title screens and music they used were VERY good. And it's a nod to a bunch of talented people who worked on those games back then, even if for illegial purposes. But if the game hadn't be cracked, could we play it today?

• Like 3

Not to mention that in a way a cracked game preserves some of the history of the computer scene as it existed back then. Some of the title screens and music they used were VERY good. And it's a nod to a bunch of talented people who worked on those games back then, even if for illegial purposes. But if the game hadn't be cracked, could we play it today?

See, I'm also a cracker. But some of my cracks are the kind of thing that wasn't really possible back in the day. For example, I created a real file-crack of Pick-a-Dilly Pair. (The regular version appears to have multiple files, but the code still accesses them by track and sector.) I have a different motive than simple piracy - I want the games to no longer be dependent on the disk ][ hardware. (ProDOS itself is not. DOS 3.3 is, and a lot of software uses the same disk handling code as DOS 3.3, or replaces it with something else that is dependent on the disk ][.)

The idea of tapeloading stuff from the Internet that one website uses was inspired by some experiments I did, though not using my code.

To me cracked is fine so long as it's not plastered like many cracks are.

I don't mind a lot of intro screens and bbs numbers and "advertising" of warez groopz as long as it's done on the opening screen, and in addition to and prior to any original title pages and graphics.

For example, there isn't a proper crack of Stellar-7. All the versions on asimov have been modified somehow.

Too bad kryoflux doesn't support Apple imaging. I'd post my original disks.

Seriously, this needs to happen! Cracked images sometimes removed elements of the game like music and that's just not right.

On the topic of a consolidated website for Apple II games, there may be something in the works for this (can't say much more than that). Earlier this week I started consolidating a list of Apple II games in an online database. It hasn't scratched the surface of being complete (still have about 400 cassette games to list, and eventually games from Softdisk, Insider, A+, Uptime, MECC, etc), but it's a starting point and the hope is it can be migrated over to a website and have disk images, box art, and other info available for each and every title. It will be a collaborative effort and will require the help of everyone in the II community.

It is of my opinion that one website will never cover all Apple 2 series material. And opinions are like assholes, they all stink. It is what it is. I believe It will always be a pseudo-combined(!?) effort seemingly spread across several endeavors. And because of that the 2 series community presents itself in disarray.

Ohh don't let me discourage you from making a list. It's a good start. I hate starting lists. But I sure as all hell love updating adding tidbits to massively long ones.

Once you get into the P.D. material I can probably add another 700 disks from users groups and the bbs days. Material is out there!

Seriously, this needs to happen! Cracked images sometimes removed elements of the game like music and that's just not right.

I stopped asking for Apple II support a long time ago. The lack of interest was most disheartening. If anyone wants to take up the task of pushing for it, be my guest!

The Apple II community is showing all the signs of being the first retro community to die. They just don't seem to care... Im glad my first love is the C64... the community is thriving, rejuvenating, and going strong.

Well there's a new game being developed (and not in BASIC!)

And the prices of Apple II items these days are only going up, although perhaps those aren't really "members of the community", but just random collectors with deep pockets. I finally pulled out my first book on assembly (turns out the author Roger Wagner lives like 15 minutes from me, ha). So perhaps in a few months I'll have something worthwhile to show. I do agree the community is small, but having a consolidated site with active support would be a sure win (if it happens), but for now I seem to get the most responses from the "Apple II Enthusiasts" facebook group which has 867 members, probably most of the community that's left.

To Keatah, you may be called upon! ;-)

Edited by Tanrunomad
  • Like 1

I stopped asking for Apple II support a long time ago. The lack of interest was most disheartening. If anyone wants to take up the task of pushing for it, be my guest!

There has been a couple guys pop up and remove the crack screens and replace the removed content like title screens and credit screens

The Apple II community is showing all the signs of being the first retro community to die. They just don't seem to care... Im glad my first love is the C64... the community is thriving, rejuvenating, and going strong.

I don't know what community you refer to, sure its not a large one, but its pretty active if you actually look. Also, seriously first one to die? There has been plenty before it.

Edited by Osgeld

There has been a couple guys pop up and remove the crack screens and replace the removed content like title screens and credit screens

I don't know what community you refer to, sure its not a large one, but its pretty active if you actually look. Also, seriously first one to die? There has been plenty before it.

I guess it depends on your definition of active.. to what are you referring?

is there a site like these?

Commodore http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/

or

Atari http://www.atarimania.com/documents-atari-400-800-xl-xe-books_1_8.html

or AtariAge or Lemon64...

This seems to be the only dude putting forth some effort: apple2online.com

Edited by dudeslife

Well there's a new game being developed (and not in BASIC!)

And the prices of Apple II items these days are only going up, although perhaps those aren't really "members of the community", but just random collectors with deep pockets. I finally pulled out my first book on assembly (turns out the author Roger Wagner lives like 15 minutes from me, ha). So perhaps in a few months I'll have something worthwhile to show. I do agree the community is small, but having a consolidated site with active support would be a sure win (if it happens), but for now I seem to get the most responses from the "Apple II Enthusiasts" facebook group which has 867 members, probably most of the community that's left.

To Keatah, you may be called upon! ;-)

I realize you have a IIc but you can find my simple interrupt driven Mockingboard music player over here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/205521-apple-its-on-like-donkey-kong/page-4

I would be willing to continue working on it to add simultaneous sound playback and to fix bugs if you are interested.

This seems to be the only dude putting forth some effort: apple2online.com

theres daily postings on the newsgroup comp.sys.apple2 which is easily acessable through google groups, theres new software for the II or to produce content for the II almost every month, there seems to be new hardware popping up constantly, and K-fest was a success this year and woz even popped in.

Sure its not going to be as popular as Atari or Commodore, but its a different scene, for one it was not a 500$ toys-r-us video game console with a keyboard. Its like comparing the nostalgic popularity of "Thundercats" to "This Old House"

What is disheartning is that a lot of the supposed apple II fans HERE on this site seem to be full of "doom and gloom" instead of enjoying their machine and seeing what they could do with it next.

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 3

Osgeld's right.

One of the first things I did when I started the Apple Crunch project was removing crack plastering. It can probably be seen on CSA2 where I "fixed" Ms. Pac-Man before I found LoGo's clean crack and just filecracked that and used that.

I eventually replaced some of my crunches with improved ones. Minit Man, Hard Hat Mack and Galaxian got clean replacements; The Bilestoad was switched from a 1-file version to a 2-file version that included the sound. I tried and failed to create a with-sound filecrack of One On One.

I think some of my larger filecracks have intros (Qix does; one version of Pick-a-Dilly Pair does), but most of them don't. They appear before the game loads.

Currently I have only one Apple //e set-up and operational atm. It is being used to write a journal, and some theoretical physics papers. Despite having Word on a modern machine with all the conveniences & features, we somehow find it liberating and refreshing to work on the old gasser from the early 80's.

i'm still trying to get an Apple II game done, but not having hardware to test it on myself makes things a bit slow going... it was running on my stand at the Play Expo a few weekends back via emulation (running on a Raspberry Pi running Chameleon Pi).

• 5 months later...

i'm still trying to get an Apple II game done, but not having hardware to test it on myself makes things a bit slow going... it was running on my stand at the Play Expo a few weekends back via emulation (running on a Raspberry Pi running Chameleon Pi).

I thought I remembered seeing an Apple II at PlayExpo in Manchester last year? Couldn't you have used that instead?

I'm further down the M62 in Bolton and will be attending the May event in Blackpool if you need a real Apple IIe with DuoDisk and/or CFA3000 to run it on? I have a Green Screen Monitor II or maybe a Commodore 1701 if you prefer colour?

Which stand were you on? I was carrying around a 6-month old granddaughter who was dressed as Baby Mario.

I don't get this. It's a pretty strong community, although quite fragmented. I think it is actually an older crew than the commies, in general. I'm starting to find it a bit more, but I do wish it was more localized on the 'net.

Commodore may have more newbrew game releases (after all it was designed with games in mind), but the Apple II has more new and weird hardware design going for it. The scenes still differ and offer different things.

It's always disheartening to hear inter-system animosity from Commodore fans. I don't know why anyone cares anymore about seriously pitting one retro system or group of users vs another. Both systems are awesome, each with their own strengths. I'm happy to own both and enjoy both, even though I was originally an Apple II user. And I love Atari 8-bit stuff too. I would have had all three back in the day if I could.

As far as the archive, the Asimov archive has most of the dsk images available. And nearly everything fits on a 16gb CF card, which is fun with a CFFA.

I think cracked images are cool, but when they are the only thing archived, it's hard to know exactly what the original work was. I'd really love to see all the versions available, not unlike when you have MAME arcade images and they have all the images to choose from.

I'm happy to see folks fixing the images. Some cracks refuse to work outside of slot 6 or are very picky about the location of disks or disk images.

• Like 1