IGNORED

That Guy Who Lied About High Scores

Stan

I don't know... some of the guys in Chasing Ghosts come across as pretty pathetic. I'd show KoK to my girlfriend over Chasing Ghosts any day of the week.

Fair enough. The thing I really wanted to see in KOK is the old lady who plays Qbert. She was left on the cutting room floor. It seemed interesting, and could have made some lighthearted moments. All we see is Billy giving her a cabinet (that played like) for delivering a tape. In my head I want to believe he did it to be nice. I digress, even a little featurette would have been nice. Qbert can be a tough game too. Here is this old lady shredding it, as we talk about getting older, and slower.

• Like 1

The question becomes what will be done when arcade hardware is no longer working due to age. Will those scores be considered permanent and no longer allowed to be altered? Will they create a separate category for high scores produced through an emulator? Perhaps they can standardize on an emulator to use for this (Mame comes into mind) and then come up with some sort of ROM certification. Probably not going to happen though.

An MD5 hash check should be all that's needed to verify the legitimacy of a ROM... Just one bit off would generate an incorrect hash.

An MD5 hash check should be all that's needed to verify the legitimacy of a ROM... Just one bit off would generate an incorrect hash.

Did you watch "King of Kong?" Any Arcade board that has been repaired is suspect. Steve Wiebe had a legit arcade board and they still scrubbed his score.

• Like 1

Did you watch "King of Kong?" Any Arcade board that has been repaired is suspect. Steve Wiebe had a legit arcade board and they still scrubbed his score.

If you look closely, Steve had a "double donkey kong" board. A kit that installs onto a Donkey Kong JR. board which then gives you both Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong JR. on the same board. The problem is that "technically", anything at all other then an original authentic unmodified factory board with the original authentic factory rom data contained on board can be suspect and any score achieved would be considered unofficial.

So, to restate...emulators, translations, system changers, rom hacks, board mods, patches, high score save kits, enhancement roms, etc. "insert anything other then a 100% authentic / original game board or cartridge" is basically unacceptable, unofficial, and unoriginal.

• Like 3

You realize the Dragster time was verified by the original programmer of the game right? Don't let facts get in your way Stan.

So you have the full story for your scammer site - Todd submitted his time to Activision for the patch and was not awarded since the fastest time per the programmer was higher than his time. Todd came in and showed him how he was able to run the car faster than what the programmer thought it could hence the 'Impossible' award.

• Like 4

Sounds to me like he exploited a glitch the programmer didn't know about (based on the fact that the programmer honestly thought it couldn't be done). That would be cheating. I won't comment on whether or not that invalidates ALL of his scores, but if I'm right, it makes him suspect at best. As far as I'm concerned, the word "impossible" on the award is an admission of guilt.

IMO the award for Todd clearly proves the opposite, that he was not cheating according to the programmer. Else the reaction would have been completely opposite. Finding a way around the programmer's intentions is not generally a cheat. You use the given game mechanics to your advantage.

E.g. in Starmaster the player can block the enemy movements on the map by using his cursor. This is the only chance to save all bases in the highest level and requires very precise timing. In modern FPS you constantly try to find weak points in the enemy KI. Some of them may be intentional, but some of them are not. Is it cheating if you use the wrong ones? In games like SimCity you try to optimize the game situation to make progress. Sometimes a special combination works much better than all others and sometimes you will find an unexpected shortcut. Cheating?

If you call that cheating, then you probably have to invalidate almost all records.

• Like 1

That's a fair point. However, even if the programmer acknowledged his score, if he had to use a glitch to get it, it ought not to count IMO. It's like those speedruns of Super Mario 64 that use glitches to get around the locked doors. It's a neat trick, but I don't think it should count as an "official" world record speedrun.

Edited by oldskoolgaymer

How do you know it was a glitch (BTW: a very subjective definition) he was using? AFAIK Todd was using a technique which was assumed by the programmer being impossible.

Probably my time on "Dragster" by Activision. You had to shift your dragster in a certain way to achieve the fastest possible time down a drag track. Some people submitted scores that were false. I submitted mine and got a call from Activision asking me how I got my time. I explained in detail what I did over the phone. Well it turns out the guys who wrote the game, David Crane and Alan Miller, got together and simulated a perfect run for the game on a computer, using the code from the game. The time the computer came up with was 5.54 seconds. Supposedly the fastest possible score a player could achieve. I beat it by 3 hundredths of a second.

Is there any info about this record which describes it with more detail?

That's a fair point. However, even if the programmer acknowledged his score, if he had to use a glitch to get it, it ought not to count IMO. It's like those speedruns of Super Mario 64 that use glitches to get around the locked doors. It's a neat trick, but I don't think it should count as an "official" world record speedrun.

Its not a glitch. The only input to the game is the joystick and button, there are no corners or track per se, just a straight line. Todd was kind enough to show anyone at CGE how to do it, though in 10 minutes I couldnt master it I was able to break 6 seconds on my own.

Its not rocket science nor a glitch, its timing on the shifts that mattered.

Those are reasons why I loathe emulation in high-score competitions. And hardware dying? Come on man, this stuff is going to last a LOT longer than you think.

The hardware will last much longer than we will, eventually nobody will care about it, lol

I cannot see any real evidence in this whole thread. Just people trying to discredit a person who has an extremely high reputation based on IMO pretty weak assumptions.

Shame on you!

I agree man, Todds the real deal. Whenever you are the best people have to find some reason to justify why you are so much better than them. Usually cheating/steroids/lying/etc are all common answers.

Edited by Crazy Climber