IGNORED

Star Fox demo for Genesis

LS_Dracon

Found this project and want to share.

Stef, sega genesis programmer, is porting Star Fox for sega genesis. The game is running slow, but it's impressive for a stock sega genesis, it's not using a co-processor for the math stuff.

Blast Processing at it finest.

You can follow the original thread here, as well download the tech demo rom and try on emulator.

Here's an youtube video, believe, it's for real!

This demo is old, it seems he did a bit optimization and the frame count. is better now.

http://youtu.be/Bm-ICwWxaAY

This would be a good 32x game.

For some reason, aways wanted to see the first Resident Evil in 32x and Jaguar. I think these machines can handle that.

Nice! What's next, Genesis version of Cybermorph? :lol:

Figure the phrase "where did you learned to fly" using the poor Genesis speech!

Edited by LS_Dracon

I remember seeing a post about this on NintendoAge awhile ago, it certainly started a lot of fan-boy flaming lol.

It's impressive considering it uses the stock Mega Drive hardware, it'd be cool if it eventually developed into a somewhat playable version of the game.

I wish he would take advantage of the special chip on the Genesis game cart Virtua Racing, SVP chip I believe, which was like a math coprocessor that allowed the Genesis to throw around all the polygons that game used at a much higher frame rate... It was the only cart in the Genesis collection that actually used it. I wish Sega had used it on their conversion of Virtua Fighters...

I wonder if the Sega CD hardware would smooth things out.

Don't think so. Only if you can draw the background using sega-cd processor, leaving genesis processor to produce the polygons.

You know games like Silpheed are "fake". The background actually is full motion video. Still love Silpheed BTW.

I wish he would take advantage of the special chip on the Genesis game cart Virtua Racing, SVP chip I believe, which was like a math coprocessor that allowed the Genesis to throw around all the polygons that game used at a much higher frame rate... It was the only cart in the Genesis collection that actually used it. I wish Sega had used it on their conversion of Virtua Fighters...

Me too. Sega didn't released VF (polygon version) for Genesis perhaps for sell 32X hardware. About Star Fox, SVP will not be used, you know, programming challenge.

Don't think so. Only if you can draw the background using sega-cd processor, leaving genesis processor to produce the polygons.

You know games like Silpheed are "fake". The background actually is full motion video. Still love Silpheed BTW.

I'm aware of graphics drawn over video. I was referring to hardware capabilities of the Sega CD, taking strain off of the Genesis. I don't know what scaling and/or mode 7 effects would do to help, but I would assume the Sega CD's processor or playing the music through CD audio may free up some resources. Maybe not.