IGNORED

system update sept 30 2013

Jinks

YouTube freezing is one thing I've seen rumored to be resolved by this.

Edit: "The standby functions will now regularly connect to the Internet when the Wii U is powered down to check for available SpotPass data or software and system updates. Software updates will be installed while the Wii U is powered down, and system updates will be installed the next time the Wii U is powered on. Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience."

And this is apparently considered a minor update that tweaks some issues with the spring update. The major one that Nintendo has promised is due to release in a few weeks.

Edited by Atariboy

Didnt this one just come out today?? I thought this was the major one cant find any info on the internet about it.. usually when you google system update wii u it would show the next current version.. which it does not... only has info on the spring update.

There's more to it than that apparently. This rolls out the ability to stream Wii mode to the Wii U's gamepad screen. Rather limited utility since apparently the Wii U gamepad still can't serve as a substitute for a Classic Controller.

Maybe in the next update it will become genuinely useful for things like the Wii Virtual Console and Mario Kart Wii since as it stands now, it's mostly just a novelty for the average Wii U owner.

ujlHqtP.jpg

Other changes I've seen mentioned are input from USB keyboards and added Nintendo Network settings. It also includes surround sound support for Wii mode utilizing Dolby Pro Logic II (It couldn't do this already?) and several other miscelaneous changes like the ability to view PDF's in the browser.

No word on the hinted at account based DRM system or the optional pillarboxing in Wii mode which is what I was hoping for.

Edited by Atariboy

Oh well might try it tomorrow night as it is still updating.. I thought the u was supposed to update when its in standby? Stupid to go to watch netflix and tell the kids oh well movie night is tomorrow... the tech times blah..see atari never had that problem..unless your rf switchbox was on the fritz again!!

Edited by Jinks

Apparently this actually does offer auto detection of the aspect ratio for Wii mode. :)

I had just about given up hope especially since a Google search for Wii U pillarboxing has postings from me for about the first half dozen hits which had me thinking I was the only one unhappy that Wii mode stretched everything.

And I certainly didn't expect auto detection. For this to happen, they had to create a database for all of the Wii's software applications to compare to in order to determine what should be pillarboxed and what should be stretched as the Wii U upscales it. I expected that manual control was about the best we could hope for since it was a large undertaking.

One issue though is the Homebrew Channel isn't on their list of 16:9 software so it defaults to 4:3. Not sure if the homebrew authors can fix that or if there's a manual way to adjust aspect ratio now as well (Which there should be for those that actually prefer their 4:3 content be stretched to fill their screen).

I hope that there aren't any mistakes or annoying limitations with official programs like perhaps being limited to the Virtual Console where it was 100% 4:3 content and represents many of the 4:3 games people play. And I hope that games with 16:9 widescreen pillarboxed modes like Super Mario All-Stars had are being told to display in 4:3 so that the entire 480p output is dedicated to the game itself before the Wii U upscales it.

Otherwise, it's wasting resolution and slightly degrading the picture to accomplish what the Wii U can now do after the fact thanks to this update.

Edited by Atariboy

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/30/wii-u-update-wii-games-gamepad/

Wii U update 4.0 brings Wii games to the GamePad's screen HD

By Alexis Santos posted Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:27 PM24

wiiupdate619pxhedimg.jpg

Nintendo's pushing out version 4.0 of its Wii U system software, and it's bringing a few unexpected -- yet welcome -- changes. Ironically, tweaks to how the hardware handles titles from The Big N's last home console headline the update. Folks taking Wii games for a spin will now be able to do so using just the GamePad's screen, and enjoy Dolby Pro Logic II surround output -- though you'll still need a Wii remote to play. Iwata and Co. have also rolled in an image sharing tool that mirrors the one on the 3DS, which lets gamers share screenshots on Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter. With the fresh code in tow, demos from Nintendo can be downloaded automatically and a variety of USB keyboards are supported, to boot. The box's internet browser also got some attention, as it's been bolstered with the ability to open PDF files and remember user login details for web sites. Check your Wii U for the update or click the source link for the full changelog.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/support/system_update/index.html

One of the older updates barely did that.

:sleep:

One of their old updates did so considerably, there are side-by-side videos you can see. Where it's at right now I can tolerate--I'm not in THAT much of a rush, heh. How it was when the system first launched though, that was absolutely unbearable.