IGNORED

Nintendo Wii-Collectible now? Good game system?

Unbeliever

I'll check out that game next time I visit Gamestop. I think I'll need to focus on some of the more popular titles (Mario, Samus, Link) before the prices skyrocket. I picked up Animal Crossing: City Folk for $40.00 last night. Is that a reasonable price for that game? It was marked "used", but no visible scratches that I could see.

I went into the pawn shop a couple days ago, to look at games. I found a Wii game I wanted; it was $10 (their std. price for Wii/PS3/360 games). If you can find a later title or a 1st-party title (in the case of Nintendo) that's complete and in mint condition at this price, you have yourself a deal. Of course, this happens about 1/3 of the time.

As I approached the counter, I saw that Wii systems were on sale for $40! I think this was in response to Gamestop (just down the road) cutting Wii prices to $50 used, which ain't a bad deal. I asked the pawn shop folks about it, and they said they'd include a free game, too! I already had my $10 game in my hand. That meant for another $30, I could buy a second (spare) Wii! Since I'm "chicken" to try the Homebrew Channel on my "expensive" Wii and I usually acquire spares for my consoles anyway, and this is a great deal - how could I resist?

I employed similar tactics to those used several years ago when buying cheap Pawn Shop Gamecubes: Slowly work through the pile, selecting candidates (fewest scratches and bangs, cleanest-looking) and then semi-finalists, like it's a Miss America pageant (albeit without the brilliant questions and answers). When it finally gets down to the semi-finalists (all later-looking systems in great condition with the later Wii Remote Plus), pick the one with the least dust in the fan, assuming that implies less use. So that's what I did.

What an incredible deal! As someone else has mentioned, the Wii is worth getting JUST FOR the Super Mario Galaxy games. I'm going to guess that the Wii U will be, too, in the future. The 1st-party Nintendo games are just amazing, and when they come up with more/similar on the Wii U, it is then that I know I'll be getting one. Until then, the original Wiii is one of the greatest gaming bargains on the planet, right now.

I don't like how Gamestop puts their used (any brand of console) systems all taped-up in a box. That means you either have to open the box at the store (awkward) or take it home and then open the box to find out how scratched-up your used console is. I prefer the on-site-pawn-shop-inspection-method.

• Like 2

I guess I was lucky when I opened the box with the used Wii inside that it was "like new". I was very impressed with this unit, pristine white and no scratches. Plays discs without any hesitation. The Animal Crossing: City Folk game was also in great shape. Unfortunately for me, I don't have a pawn shop or used gaming store within 100 miles of me, so the only options are Best Buy, Walmart, and Gamestop. The other two stores (maybe Best Buy does, not sure) don't sell used games.

I've been hearing many good things about the Galaxy games on the Wii, and have checked out several Youtube videos on them to see what the actual game play was like. I have to say the games DO look phenomenal! The Prime Trilogy also looks like a worthy candidate to take up some shelf space for my Cube/Wii collection. At least now I have the option to collect for both, so plenty of games to pick up for awhile yet. Does anyone know how the Paper Mario game is on this system? I've played it to death on the Cube, and was wondering how the sequel is.

Steve

I don't have a pawn shop or used gaming store within 100 miles of me....<snip!>

Well, then, it sounds like you're living someplace decent! When I was a younger gent, that would have sounded abhorrent to me, but now, it sounds pretty good!

You're doing well for yourself!!! :)

I don't know...where we live is about 7 miles outside of the main "hub" (like Wally World, Best Buy, Staples, etc.). I miss the small stores where you could go in and find something for a cheap price in good condition. I must correct myself as well. We DO have an auction place in that strip, but every time I go in there, I don't see hide nor hair of video games anywhere. Maybe once, 20 years ago, but it seems he doesn't keep stuff like that in now (and I meant PAWN shop, not AUCTION). lol

Steve

I've been picking up cheap Wii games in our Gamestops in the area. The local one I usually go to has them buy 2 get one free. Usually I can find some good games. I did see Xenoblade there, $80 bucks, used! Wow I'd buy it but I don't think I've bought a Wii game lately over $10.00 ok except for Super Mario Galaxy which I bought new for $19 bucks. I guess I can't see spending more than $20 on a game for a non-supported system unless I REALLY have to have it. I paid $75 for Battle Sphere for the Atari Jaguar back in the 90's when it first came out, that one I just had to have, I've seen it priced for $500.00 online, don't know if it sold, but I wouldn't ever get rid of it, love that game. Super Mario Galaxy 1 is always a good pick. I'm a big racing fan so Build and Race is a good one and you can create your own tracks. The Conduit 1 and 2, any of the Metroid's, Epic Mickey, GT Pro Series, these are others I would recommend. Try'em out see what you think.

I probably will hit up the local Game Stop tonight and see. Two in particular I was thinking of: Kirby (the yarn one...can't remember it's exact name) and Super Mario Galaxy 1. Both as listed as $20.00 a piece, and are supposedly in stock. The Kirby one looks REALLY fun, and that's what I'm aiming for as I collect for this system this time around: Games I want in a collection AND ones I can have fun with. The Epic Mickey game does look unique and will probably be on my "to get" list soon.

About how many games had they released for the Wii? I think I have plenty of years of collecting ahead of me. And another question: Anyone here still have their original Wii's they bought at release time, and if so, is the system still performing perfectly or has it developed some quirks (disc read hiccups, other things)?

Steve

I probably will hit up the local Game Stop tonight and see. Two in particular I was thinking of: Kirby (the yarn one...can't remember it's exact name) and Super Mario Galaxy 1. Both as listed as $20.00 a piece, and are supposedly in stock. The Kirby one looks REALLY fun, and that's what I'm aiming for as I collect for this system this time around: Games I want in a collection AND ones I can have fun with. The Epic Mickey game does look unique and will probably be on my "to get" list soon.

About how many games had they released for the Wii? I think I have plenty of years of collecting ahead of me. And another question: Anyone here still have their original Wii's they bought at release time, and if so, is the system still performing perfectly or has it developed some quirks (disc read hiccups, other things)?

Steve

Be warned, Kirby's Epic Yawn is for babies.... it's impossible to die, putting it on par with Barney's Hide and Seek for sega genesis. I thought Return to Dreamland was far better; still incredibly easy, but at least it's more than a tech demo.

Edited by Rex Dart

I just watched a few reviews for it...and I still would like to give it a go (for $20.00, it isn't that expensive to begin with). The game play intrigues me, plus the visuals...despite the game being "easy", I think I would rather enjoy this. Hey, I play Animal Crossing, remember? :D

I think I'll need to focus on some of the more popular titles (Mario, Samus, Link) before the prices skyrocket. I picked up Animal Crossing: City Folk for $40.00 last night. Is that a reasonable price for that game? It was marked "used", but no visible scratches that I could see.

I'm afraid that you overpaid on this particular one. It was rereleased as a Nintendo Selects release for $20 and can be easily found new at retailers like Wal-Mart for that price. The Wal-Mart I was in last night, for instance, was still fully stocked in the Selects releases including this one in their bargain section.

Super Mario Galaxy is in the same boat. It was rereleased in the Nintendo Selects line and you can easily get this for $20 new so paying that much for a used copy will be overpaying. And Super Mario Galaxy 2 was recently rereleased at a $30 price point.

Edited by Atariboy

Back on the light-gun shooters... If you like House of the Dead, don't overlook Ghost Squad or Link's Crossbow Training. Or the Gunblade NY / LA Guns compilation.

Just wish they'd have done a Virtua Cop compilation, grr.

My other Wii games that I own and keep on playing: Mario Kart, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Geometry Wars: Galaxies, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort. Love them all.

And am probably going to get the two Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles / light gun shooting games too.

...it but I don't think I've bought a Wii game lately over $10.00 ok except for Super Mario Galaxy which I bought new for $19 bucks. I guess I can't see spending more than $20 on a game for a non-supported system unless I REALLY have to have it.

I think one of the greatest things about the Nintendo systems (and other systems) is that WHO CARES whether or not it's supported, or not? A complete game is a complete game, and doesn't require "support." Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are incredible games that stand on their own, even if Nintendo evaporated today. I advocate cheap games, but I don't see "support" as relevant to the evaluation of Super Mario Galaxy games, whose excellence stands on its own, regardless of current happenings.

I paid $75 for Battle Sphere for the Atari Jaguar back in the 90's when it first came out, that one I just had to have, I've seen it priced for $500.00 online, don't know if it sold, but I wouldn't ever get rid of it, love that game. Super Mario Galaxy 1 is always a good pick. I'm a big racing fan so Build and Race is a good one and you can create your own tracks. The Conduit 1 and 2, any of the Metroid's, Epic Mickey, GT Pro Series, these are others I would recommend. Try'em out see what you think.

Since we're necessarily making the comparison, I wouldn't give $75 for *anything* Jaguar. In my observations, it's an opposite situation to the above. Nintendo systems usually have the ***BEST*** software (games, duh!) and Atari systems (since the 2600) have the worst. If there was ever a system to avoid because of lack of "support," it would be a later Atari system, not a Nintendo system. Nintendo system games are so f**king good, they don't need any "support." They stand on their own.

:( Didn't see a "select" title anywhere in Gamestop when I was there. And I didn't think to go to Wally World...could have saved myself $20.00...didn't even know there were "select" titles for the Wii system. So Walmart and other places have select titles? I'll go check that out tonight.

And yes, I did pick up Kirby's Epic Yarn. Great game, but as I was warned: Easy. Still enjoying it purely for the love of Kirby and the cuteness factor. However, the Wii seemed to be having trouble "pulling" the disc into the machine. Any thoughts on this? I suppose a steadier hand might help....

Steve

I borrowed Epic Yarn and had fun. I got to the last boss but didn't have a chance to finish it. And the controls weren't very intuitive at one point (I think it's when you change into the form of a locomotive). But it's a fun and beautiful game even if it's lacking in any challenge and has no replay value because of it. As for overspending on Animal Crossing, millions happily spent $50 on it not long ago. So I wouldn't get too bummed out about it especially since it sounds like your copy is in pristine shape. :)

As for Nintendo Selects, it's a rerelease program like the old Player's Choice lineup that Nintendo had in previous console generations and like Sony's Greatest Hits and Microsoft's Platinum Hits programs. A popular older game is rereleased to retailers at a budget price with the rerelease branding plastered on it to market its popularity.

Animal Crossing, Mario Super Sluggers, Zelda: Twilight Princess, the retail release of Wii Sports, Mario Strikers Charged, Punch Out, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, and Mario Power Tennis were all rereleased in this line in 2011 and 2012 and remain widely available today. And the Wii port of Pikmin 2 when it was finally released over here 3 years after the rest of the World was launched as a Nintendo Select last year even though it was only previously available as a GameCube title.

And last month, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, and Wii Sports Resort saw their MSRP's dropped to $29.99 but Nintendo of America didn't label them as Nintendo Selects. And Donkey Kong Country Returns is easy to find for $30 new and Metroid Other M goes for about $10 new for some other easily found 1st party games that don't go for a ton of money sealed.

Edited by Atariboy

The Donkey Kong Country Returns game...anyone here play it, and what are your thoughts on this game? I had most of the DK's over the years, and haven't had a chance to look this one over. I think, for the most part, I was very excited when Donkey Kong Country came out for my SNES, years ago, and loved every minute of it. Everything from the graphics to the music made the title endearing. I especially was blow away by the graphics.

The Animal Crossing CF game I picked up is in excellent condition...the manual, too, looks like it was just printed. The Wiimote usage with the game has taken some getting used to. The whole "point and click" aspect is entirely new for me as an experience on a gaming console. However, I'm getting used to it and it seems to make the game that much more "interactive" in my opinion.

Are there any hidden gems that I should look for? Not the popular ones or most prominent (like Metroid, Link, Mario, etc.), but the games that don't stand out in the crowd but once played, are surprisingly good.

Steve

Marble Saga: Kororinpa (And there's another called Kororinpa: Marble Mania but I don't have that one yet), Mercury Meltdown Revolution, and MiniCopter: Adventure Flight are three games that I didn't hear much about but really enjoyed playing.

Then there are games that got a fair bit of attention by classic gamers but were ignored by most others. Data East Arcade Classics comes to mind for such a game.

Earlier this year, I went on a Wii game shopping spree while the games were still cheap (mostly on eBay, but I also visited lots of EB-Games and other places in my home town) and I did a lot of research to find the Wii's best games while discarding the uninteresting shovelware. When I saw a game that looked somewhat intriguing, I had a look on YouTube for reviews for that game. The video footage and the reviewer's comments usually gave me enough information to decide if I should buy the game or not. My favorite YouTube reviewers were wiiviewr and CGRundertow.

Here are some lesser-known (and a few well-known) Wii titles you may be interested in:

- A Boy and his Blob
- The Adventures of Tintin
- Angry Birds Trilogy
- The Ant Bully
- Alice in Wonderland
- Alien Syndrome
- Alone in the Dark
- Arcade Hits Pack - Gunblade NY & LA Machineguns
- Arc Rise Fantasia
- Astro Boy - The Video Game
- Batman - The Brave and the Bold
- Battalion Wars 2
- Boom Blox
- Boom Blox Bash Party
- Calling
- Call of Duty - Black Ops
- Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 3
- Call of Duty 3
- Call of Duty - World At War
- Captain America - Super Soldier
- Cars 2
- Centipede Infestation
- The Conduit
- Conduit 2
- Deadly Creatures
- Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop
- Dead Space Extraction
- de Blob
- de Blob 2
- Dewy's Adventure
- Disney Guilty Party
- Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
- Donkey Kong Country Returns
- Dragon Quest Swords
- Dragon's Lair Trilogy
- Drawn to Life - The Next Chapter
- Elebits
- Endless Ocean
- Epic Mickey
- Epic Mickey 2 - The Power of Two
- Excitebots : Trick Racing
- Excite Truck
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles : Echoes of Time
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles : The Crystal Bearers
- Final Fantasy Fables - Chocobo's Dungeon
- Fire Emblem - Radiant Dawn
- Fishing Resort
- Flip's Twisted World
- Fragile Dreams - Farewell Ruins of the Moon
- Geon Cube
- G.I. Joe - The Rise of Cobra
- Geometry Wars Galaxies
- Ghost Squad
- Ghostbusters - The Video Game
- GoldenEye 007
- Green Lantern - Rise of the Manhunters
- Guilty Gear XX - Accent Core Plus
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Haunted House
- The House fo the Dead - Overkill
- The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
- Ice Age - Dawn of the Dinosaurs
- Ice Age 2 - The Meltdown
- Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings
- Iron Man
- Iron Man 2
- Ivy The Kiwi?
- Jewel Master - Cradle of Rome
- Jewel Quest Trilogy
- Kid Adventures - Sky Captain
- The King of Fighters Collection - The Orochi Saga
- Kirby's Epic Yarn
- Kirby's Dream Collection - 20th Anniversary
- Kirby's Return to Dreamland
- Klonoa
- Kororinpa: Marble Mania
- Kung Fu Panda

- The Last Airbender
- The Last Story
- The Legend of Spyro - Dawn of the Dragon
- The Legend of Spyro - The Eternal Night
- The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword
- The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess
- Lego Batman - The Video Game
- Lego Batman 2 - DC Super Heroes
- Lego Harry Potter - Years 1-4
- Lego Harry Potter - Years 5-7
- Lego Indiana Jones - The Original Adventures
- Lego Indiana Jones 2 - The Adventure Continues
- Lego Lord of the Rings
- Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
- Lego Star Wars - The Complete Saga
- Lego Star Wars III - The Clone Wars
- The Lord of the Rings - Aragorn's Quest
- Link's Crossbow Training
- Little King's Story
- Lost in Shadow
- Luxor
- Luxor 3
- Mad World
- Marble Saga Kororinpa
- Mario Kart Wii
- Marvel Super Hero Squad
- Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
- Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
- Mercury Meltdown Revolution
- Metal Slug Anthology
- Metroid : Other M
- Metroid Prime Trilogy
- MiniCopter Adventure Flight
- Mini Ninjas
- Monster Hunter Tri
- Monsters vs Aliens
- Monster Jam 3 - Path of Destruction
- The Mummy - Tomb of the Emperor
- The Munchables
- Muramasa - The Demon Blade
- Mushroom Men - The Spore Wars
- Need for Speed Nitro
- New Super Mario Bros Wii

- Night at the Museum - Battle for the Smithsonian - The Video Game
- No More Heroes
- No More Heroes 2 - Desperate Struggle
- Obscure - The Aftermath
- Okami
- Onechanbara - Bikini Zombie Slayers
- One Piece - Unlimited Adventure
- Opoona
- Overlord - Dark Legend
- Pacific Liberator
- Pandora's Tower
- Penny Racers Party - Turbo-Q Speedway
- Phantom Brave - We Meet Again
- Pikmin - New Play Control
- Pikmin 2
- Pirate Blast
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
- Pitfall The Big Adventure
- Prince of Persia - Rival Swords
- Prince of Persia - The Forgotten Sands
- Punch Out!
- Puss in Boots
- Puzzle Kingdom
- Puzzle Quest
- Rango
- Ratatouille
- Rayman Origins
- Rebel Raiders - Operation Nighthawk
- Red Steel
- Red Steel 2
- Resident Evil Archives - Resident Evil
- Resident Evil Archives - Resident Evil Zero
- Resident Evil 4
- Resident Evil - The Darkside Chronicles
- Resident Evil - The Umbrella Chronicles
- Rise of the Guardians
- Rock Blast
- Rogue Tropper - Quartz Zone Massacre
- Rune Factory - Frontier
- Rune Factory - Tides of Destiny
- Rygar - The Battle of Argus
- Sakura Wars - So Long My Love
- Samurai Showdown Anthology
- Samurai Warriors 3
- Samurai Warriors - Katana
- Scooby-Doo! First Frights
- Secret Files : Tunguska
- Sengoku Basara : Samurai Heroes
- Shiren The Wanderer
- Silent Hill - Shattered Memories
- Sin & Punishment - Star Successor
- The Sky Crawlers - Innocent Aces
- Sniper Elite
- SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1
- Sonic Colors
- Sonic Unleashed
- Sonic and the Black Knight
- Sonic and the Secret Rings
- Spectrobes Origins
- Speed Racer - The Video Game
- Spider-Man - Edge of Time
- Spider-Man - Shattered Dimensions
- The Spiderwick Chronicles
- Spray
- Spyborgs
- Star Wars - The Clone Wars - Lightsaber Duels
- Star Wars - The Clone Wars - Republic Heroes
- Star Wars - The Force Unleashed
- Star Wars - The Force Unleashed II
- Super Fruit Fall
- Super Mario All Stars - Limited Edition
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Super Paper Mario
- Super Smash Bros Brawl
- The Tale of Despereaux
- Tales of Symphonia - Dawn of the New World
- Tatsunoko vs Capcom - Ultimate All-Stars
- Tetris Party Deluxe
- Thor - God of Thunder
- Tomb Raider : Anniversary
- Tomb Raider - Underworld
- Tom Clancy's HAWX 2
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell - Double Agent
- Tornado Outbreak
- Track Mania - Build to Race
- Transformers - Cybertron Adventures
- Transformers - Dark of the Moon - Stealth Force Edition
- Transformers Prime - The Game
- Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen
- Transformers - The Game
- Trauma Center - New Blood
- Trauma Center - Second Opinion
- Trauma Team
- Tron Evolution - Battle Grids
- Twin Strike: Operation Thunder
- Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga
- Vertigo
- Wall-E
- Wii Sports
- Wii Sports Resort
- Wii Sports + Wii Sports Resort (2 games on 1 disc)
- Wreck It Ralph
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- X-Men - Destiny
- X-Men Origins - Wolverine
- Zack & Wiki - Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
- Zhu Zhu Pets - Featuring the Wild Bunch

I have to agree...CGR Undertow is a great review source for some of these games. I also use them when cruising around YouTube. And thanks for the suggestions. I have been wanting to pick up A Boy and His Blob, plus a few others I've looked at but was on the fence about. I am astonished that there are tons of games out there, still available, that I can pick and choose from.

My goal with this system is to most PLAY the system...enjoy it, and have some fun titles that I will come back to time and again. Kirby's Epic Yarn (gushing here) is just amazing eye candy. What about Paper Mario? Anyone own this and play it? What are your thoughts about the title?

Steve

This is the absolute best time to stock up on Wii games. During this period when the system is basically dead (or I guess in its death throes) game stores will want to reduce inventory and the deals come out.

Since I mostly ignored the Wii this passed generation (i think i played it for about 3 months before sticking it in a box) i've been stocking up on the 'must have' games these last few weeks.

Basically I've just pulled down all the 'top 20' lists from the various gaming websites and been looking for those. If you leverage the GameStop B2G1 special on Wii games you can get some decent deal even with their sometimes inflated pricing. For example today I picked up Xenoblade Chronicle, Zelda Skyward Sword and Metroid Trilogy. Cost me a little over $100 but when you break it down to $35 a game its a good deal considering what these go for on eBay and elsewhere.

So while I can't say I particularly liked the Wii it obviously has some good games and its never been a better time to pick them up.. especially the more desirable/rare stuff. Once these are off the store shelves completely the secondary market prices are going to creep up.

I never even considered the Wii until now myself. I'm finding it's a rather enjoyable system, is small and compact, and plays some great games, even though I only have two at the moment. That, coupled with the Gamecube backward-compatibility, I should be collecting for this system for a good long time. What about the select games that they're now selling (like player's choice or whatnot)? What are some of the games on that list, and is the list expanding?

Mario Galaxy keeps hitting the #1 spot on most of the lists I've looked at, so that's probably one I'll want to get. Pricing it at Gamestop (used), it seems to be around $20.00 at the moment. That price probably won't hold, so I'll try to get it this coming week. Other ones I'm considering are: Paper Mario, A Boy and His Blob, Super Mario Brothers, and Metroid: Other M. Aren't there three Metroid titles for the Wii?

I'm sure as the year draws to a close, Gamestop will delegate their shelf of Wii titles to a rack, like they have for previous game systems when the new consoles (Xbox One and PS4) hit their shelves. One more question: Can you buy the Wii stands separately? That didn't come with my used system, so I'm wondering if there's a way to get it.

What about Paper Mario? Anyone own this and play it? What are your thoughts about the title?

Was one of my early purchases but I've only played 2-3 hours so far after 6 years or so. Seems like a very good game that is worth buying today. I'll certainly be getting around to playing through it one of these days.

But the formula isn't as nice as that of the original pair of Paper Mario games. I've forgotten just what's so different about it beyond the ability to transform into 3D but it didn't seem quite as appealing as the first two (Which both can be played on your Wii; PM64 via the Virtual Console and the GCN sequel via BC) and that seems to be the consensus among most fans.

But it's certainly still worth purchasing and playing.

What about the select games that they're now selling (like player's choice or whatnot)? What are some of the games on that list, and is the list expanding?

I listed all of the current lineup in the 3rd paragraph of post #42. It's not currently expanding in North America but it is in Europe in recent weeks after a long drought. So hopefully that means that Nintendo of America will be doing likewise soon.

And also like I said, Nintendo has dropped the MSRP on three of their popular games to $30. Not quite as much of a deal as a $20 Selects rerelease but it's still a steal. And at least one of the three has been reprinted recently to go along with the price drop since copies of New Super Mario Brothers Wii are showing up in white game cases. The game originally had a distinctive red DVD case in earlier years.

Can you buy the Wii stands separately? That didn't come with my used system, so I'm wondering if there's a way to get it.

Nintendo sells that part via their online store.

Edited by Atariboy