IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

No, but the next person who bought your returned item sure might.

Sorry, but that's an incredibly dick move to do something like that. Never mind illegal in most jurisdictions, even if your odds of being caught are practically nil.

its a pretty dick move if sams club resells a broken system.
  • Like 4

No, but the next person who bought your returned item sure might.

Sorry, but that's an incredibly dick move to do something like that. Never mind illegal in most jurisdictions, even if your odds of being caught are practically nil.

I was thinking the same thing. Who would do that to the next person.....for some overlays, really?

Great point once it is returned anyway as defective it should be returned to the manufacturer.

Usually, but sometimes it is put back out on the floor. I know that happened to me at a Wal-Mart with a TV. I had to insist that it really was broken and they shouldn't put it back out on the floor. Someone did that prior, which is why I got the defective TV in the first place, then they were going to turn around and do it again.

OK here is a full shot of the Shelves with the Flashback systems on them at Walmart, the Intellivision is still turned around like it was when I left it the day before so no one seems to be buying them so I don't know why others have problems finding them in stock at other stores.

post-39025-0-56023900-1415233792_thumb.jpg

Edited by daldude

Nobody should ever have to convince a store not to put a defective item back on the floor. That's terrible!

Ever shop at Fry's Electronics? Half their inventory is made up of returned / defective products. They take it back from the customer, re-shrink wrap it, slap a discounted price sticker on it (saying it 'may have been returned'), and back to the shelf it goes.

You have to be really careful to only get a box that doesn't have that sticker on it if you want a working product.

Ever shop at Fry's Electronics? Half their inventory is made up of returned / defective products. They take it back from the customer, re-shrink wrap it, slap a discounted price sticker on it (saying it 'may have been returned'), and back to the shelf it goes.

You have to be really careful to only get a box that doesn't have that sticker on it if you want a working product.

Yeah -- it's pretty pathetic when something that's obviously unusable because it's missing parts is slapped back on the shelf.

For the past couple years, at least at the one around here, Fry's seems to have more and more cologne and other random stupid crap and less and less of the good stuff. I used to go there a few times a week but now rarely. Each time, it seems more desolate. :(

I still shop there weekly, as I always need some component or part for my (computer/IT) business.

They are the best local source for computer parts and electronic components. I just know how to choose the correct boxes, and never bother to ask any employee for anything (they get mad when you interrupt their drunken "conquest/hero" stories from the night before).

I can't tell you how many times I've been in there to overhear these things (with the accompanying 'ghetto' language).. The majority of the male employees have no concept of appropriate behavior in front of customers. I'm not personally offended, mind you, but I see parents with their children shopping, and I know they hear it, it's not good. I think they hire only people who are 20-something and still working on their GED...

Interesting... and very different employee demographic than what I've encountered. For PC parts, etc. a majority of the time they're clueless, but a reasonable amount of the time they know which end of a cable goes where. I stay away from the consumer electronics folks (TVs, stereos) -- that's certainly a different crowd. Maybe it depends on time of day -- it's usually weekdays around lunchtime when I go, so the 'full timers' are there.

Interesting... and very different employee demographic than what I've encountered. For PC parts, etc. a majority of the time they're clueless, but a reasonable amount of the time they know which end of a cable goes where. I stay away from the consumer electronics folks (TVs, stereos) -- that's certainly a different crowd. Maybe it depends on time of day -- it's usually weekdays around lunchtime when I go, so the 'full timers' are there.

That may be it. I rarely go on weekends. Usually it's like a Tuesday at 9:30 am or something. Perhaps I always see the "B level" (or "C level") employees then.

My favorite are the door 'receipt checkers'. They clearly have no idea what most of the parts I buy even are, but they peer knowingly into my bag for 2 seconds, glance at the receipt for .5 seconds, and squiggle it with a highlighter and occasionally say 'thank you' (usually they just grunt and go back to talking to their co-workers).

They are only counting the items. Not really looking at what they are. Also, did you know door checkers do not have a right to check your bag on the way out? All you have to do is keep walking and say No Thank You!. This works for any doors checkers except when you are a member of a club like Sam's or Costco. They have you agree when signing up that you will allow door checkers to look in your bag.

• Like 2

They are only counting the items. Not really looking at what they are. Also, did you know door checkers do not have a right to check your bag on the way out? All you have to do is keep walking and say No Thank You!. This works for any doors checkers except when you are a member of a club like Sam's or Costco. They have you agree when signing up that you will allow door checkers to look in your bag.

I wasn't aware of that, Tim. I'll have to give it a try.

These people must be the fastest counters in the world, when in 1 second they can see more than 30 small items in a bag.

:D

Oh, and to get this back on topic... I wonder if Fry's will carry the Flashbacks?

Edited by nurmix

I wasn't aware of that, Tim. I'll have to give it a try.

These people must be the fastest counters in the world, when in 1 second they can see more than 30 small items in a bag.

:D

Oh, and to get this back on topic... I wonder if Fry's will carry the Flashbacks?

i never let them check my bag. I got a greeter at walmart fired for trying to chase me down outside of the store. I am not a thief and i dont care to get treated like one.

The bag checker thing came to a head when a man refused and was detained. The police came and put him in jail. It was later found that his constitutional right were violated.

Here is a great article: http://www.thelegality.com/2008/03/12/stop-that-paying-customer-the-legality-of-compulsory-receipt-checking/

The only place in Canada that does this with any regularity is Costco (and at worst, they can cancel your membership if you ignore them - presuming they figure out who you are on the way out). Best Buy attempts it from time to time, when they ask me if they can check my receipt I just smile and say "no thank you" and continue walking. I can't even fathom the police being called in a situation like this, but then again we're talking about a place where people have been accosted by the police for walking about during "God Bless America". Land of the Free and all that. :P

Those idiotic alarms that trigger if someone tries to take unpaid merchandise out of the store? Or trigger seemingly at random? There's no legal requirement to stop for those, either. Store clerks/managers really dislike me at this point. :D

I have the same one, and I'm 95% sure it's NOAC. EVERYTHING in this space was NOAC not too long ago.

If by "everything in this space" you mean only the Intellivision plug-n-play space, then yes, it was all NOAC; the only products prior to the Flashback were in Techno Source's "TV Play" series, which were all NOACs. However, if you're talking about retro plug-n-play game systems in general, that's not accurate. Nothing released by the two most prominent firms in the space, Jakks Pacific and AtGames, has ever been based on a NOAC. Jakks' VCS/2600 collections were most likely built on 65C816-compatible Winbond microcontrollers, and their various arcade collections (Namco, Capcom, Midway (Mortal Kombat), Taito) and Genesis EA Sports collection have all been built on Sunplus/Generalplus proprietary-architecture microcontrollers. AtGames has used SMS/GG-on-a-chip and Genesis-on-a-chip implementations for their Sega products. Also, back before they were bought by Mattel, Radica too had a Genesis-on-a-chip implementation for their Sega products. There were NOAC-based plug-n-play collections, like Majesco's Konami collections and the aforementioned Techno Source Intellivision collections, but they were not the majority.

100Mhz eh? Well, I won't *quite* take back what I said in the Ultimate Flashback thread, but wow. That's some pretty low-spec hardware to do full emulation on, unless you have some more experienced programmers. No wonder they have emulation challenges. They need to go back 15 years and license a core from one of the pioneers :P

Back when AtGames/Digital Media Cartridge's Titan chip was first announced (2005), it was a pretty high-spec chip to be used in these kinds of toys. None of the other plug-n-play game makers were using anything like a dual 32-bit RISC chip. A contact of mine once suggested that the reason AtGames could produce such a chip cheaply enough might be that they had a relationship with an ARM-licensed chip company.

onmode-ky

• Like 2