IGNORED

Atari 2600 Controller Port Issue

Radeon6950

I've recently begun to build my Atari 2600 collection with a light sixer, and I've collected a couple games that required the paddle controllers. As I looked to find some, I found someone selling a 4 switch darth vader console, some games, and paddle controllers. I bought it, and used the 4 switch to play using the paddle controllers (which I had to clean) and it worked great. Later on, I tried with my 6 switch system, and it doesn't even register any movement, jittery or not, from the paddle controllers. Considering the contollers worked fine on my 4 switch, I'm assuming it's my 6 switch console controller port that's the problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Are there any solutions?

Do the buttons work on the paddles? If they do you probably have bad caps (the paddle controls how much power is applied to a capacitor and the TIA determines your placement based on how long it takes the cap to charge).

If the caps are fine the TIA itself is probably bad.

Of course it could be the simplest of problems... Bad control ports... But for both to be bad with the same problem makes it unlikely.

For details on the Atari inner workings, Google the Atari field service manual pdf