IGNORED

Adam Project

sjgray

Hi,

I just joined AtariAge.

I recently got a new Adam computer system (Thanks Richard!). The system works great except that the printer is broken. The power supply is ok, but the carriage is damaged. I'm hoping to eliminate the printer anyway, and use an alternate power supply.

I ordered an IDE card from the Adam News Network (thanks Robert!) and have that working now. I'm hoping to make a boot cartridge using an old CV game (thanks Daniel!) with info from another thread I found here.

So I created a little project page to document my modifications/progress:

http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/projects/adam/index.html

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Steve

• Like 1

You shouldn't have any trouble making the boot cart. That's just a ROM image.

If you replace the 4116 graphics RAMs with 4164s you should be able to dump 12v and -5v from that board.
That would probably let you dump -5v completely but I'd check the rest of the system to be sure.

I just joined AtariAge.

Congrats on becoming a new ADAM owner and welcome to the AtariAge Forums... a lot of really great people on here.

I know this may not be what your looking for since you want the P.S. unit to be installed internally, but it is one of many options available: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2612904209721?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=261290420972&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] . There is plenty of room between the plastic top case at the rear (behind the expansion slots) for something like a converted laptop P.S. to be installed... as I am sure you already noticed.

The IDE Package that A.N.N. sells is a great addition to the ADAM and very reasonably priced. I went hog crazy setting up and patching a large number of programs last winter and I promise to get back to finishing up the rest this winter along with a nice SmartBasic menu program instead of having to have so many individual BOOT files for each game in the HardDrive Menu (ie: one boot file to load the menu and from there you can select the appropriate game).

As far as making your own IDE Boot Cart, I understand you probably want to make your own cart, but there is also the option of using one of the AtariMax MultiCarts for this purpose as well. I personally prefer the latest option which is the newly released Parallel Interface Card with IDE Boot Prom as there is no need to press the cartridge reset... as soon as the ADAM is powered on, the IDE HardDrive software it loaded from the Boot Prom. This option probably wouldn't work for you anymore seeing as you have the CF Adapter and Card installed permanently, which partially blocks Slot #2, but I assume you had previously considered this and that's why you are going with the Boot Cart option.

I would recommend acquiring at least a 64K Memory Expander from A.N.N. or Rich seeing as some of the best 3d party software does require it (ADAM Bomb I & II). A 128K or larger memory expander would require a Slot #2 card as well for addressing memory over 64K, but really isn't necessary and your CF setup might interfere with installation of a card in Slot #2.

Also, once you have everything setup with the Boot Cart, I would recommend unplugging the two Digital Data Drive cables from the motherboard and only reconnect them if you know you are going to be using the drive. These drives are getting pretty scarce, especially in working order.

Good luck with the rest of you To-Do List... I'll be watching the progress. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

JamesD.. I'm not willing to mod the Adam board yet to replace the video rams...

Niad.. Yes, I know of that power supply. I found one a little cheaper as well. I don't think I'll go the multicart route as it's a little pricey, and I can get most games off the CF card anyway. Perhaps if I really get into the Adam I might check it out later. yes, I'll check off the "Play Games" box, thanks! ;-) Thanks for the advice!

Steve

PS: apologies for the single reply to multiple people. The Quote didn't seem to work for me.

Edited by sjgray

As far as making your own IDE Boot Cart, I understand you probably want to make your own cart, but there is also the option of using one of the AtariMax MultiCarts for this purpose as well. I personally prefer the latest option which is the newly released Parallel Interface Card with IDE Boot Prom as there is no need to press the cartridge reset... as soon as the ADAM is powered on, the IDE HardDrive software it loaded from the Boot Prom. This option probably wouldn't work for you anymore seeing as you have the CF Adapter and Card installed permanently, which partially blocks Slot #2, but I assume you had previously considered this and that's why you are going with the Boot Cart option.

Ok, I switched to Chrome and now the quote option is working... Are there schematics available for the Parallel Card with IDE Boot Pom? If so I might be able to wire up just the rom part on a prototyping card.

Steve

Are there schematics available for the Parallel Card with IDE Boot Pom? If so I might be able to wire up just the rom part on a prototyping card.

You would have to ask ADAMcon as his son designed the Interface Card.

You would have to ask ADAMcon as his son designed the Interface Card.

Look up the boot sequence info for the ADAM. It will tell you what address is checked for a boot ROM and then it's mostly a matter of address decoding. You'll need to use the ROM image for the parallel card rather than the boot cart image.

I guess that's what I'm saying. If I could get the ROM image and build a board to plug that rom into the correct slot then I have a boot card. I don't need the parallel stuff, just the ROM. Indeed, it might be easier to buy the parallel card ;-)

Steve

I guess that's what I'm saying. If I could get the ROM image and build a board to plug that rom into the correct slot then I have a boot card. I don't need the parallel stuff, just the ROM. Indeed, it might be easier to buy the parallel card ;-)

Steve

The Slot #2 IDE Boot Prom image is posted in the same thread with the other IDE information.

Look up the boot sequence info for the ADAM. It will tell you what address is checked for a boot ROM and then it's mostly a matter of address decoding. You'll need to use the ROM image for the parallel card rather than the boot cart image.

Sorry 'bout that last one. I'm new to this site.

After checking the technical manual, I believe "A13, /BOOTROMCS and /EOS_ENABLE" are the lines required. Would one assume that Adam check address 0x2000 for a "magic” byte to see if there is a valid ROM present?

Craig

After checking the technical manual, I believe "A13, /BOOTROMCS and /EOS_ENABLE" are the lines required. Would one assume that Adam check address 0x2000 for a "magic” byte to see if there is a valid ROM present?

Craig

I haven't looked at the docs in months but that sounds right.

Craig

Kinda like that Craig. ADAM 1st checks the disk drives, 2nd the data drives, 3rd in slot #2 for a boot prom, 4th goes into Smartwriter mode; IF no disks, data packs, or proms are present.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, no time to work on this stuff lately, but I'm hoping to get back to it soon. In the mean time I picked up another mostly complete Adam system, with a working printer and dual tape units... for free!. Unfortunately the hand controllers and keyboard cord were missing. I will have to look for a replacement cord.

Steve

You can get keyboard/disk drives cords here in varying lengths:

http://www.showmecables.com/Search.aspx?q=RJ12+6+Conductor+6P6C+Flat+Silver+Satin+Crossed+Telephone+Line+Cord

The RJ12 6 Conductor cables are the same as the ADAM cables. But be sure you are getting the CROSSED or REVERSE ones not the straight through ones.

Wow, no time to work on this stuff lately, but I'm hoping to get back to it soon. In the mean time I picked up another mostly complete Adam system, with a working printer and dual tape units... for free!. Unfortunately the hand controllers and keyboard cord were missing. I will have to look for a replacement cord.

Steve

Edited by jblenkle