IGNORED

Hover Bovver being released after all! The 'half cut' edition

Rev

All I know is that I don't want to spend separate money to purchase the box and a half-game. I would rather wait until the full game is completed, and buy the game cartridge then. Nobody has mentioned if the remaining boxes will be saved (instead of being destroyed, as originally planned), but if they are saved, I would gladly buy some CIB versions of HB if Elektronite is willing to sell them.

Edited by Eric7100

The biggest problem that I see, Cmart (from a outside perspective looking in) is that simply announcing the decision to sell this demo as a 'half game' is pouring salt into open wounds.

Have you seen the "2 level milestone" (aka 'Half Cut Edition')? No sound, no dog AI, no gardener AI, no accelerating mower. Not really playable at all. It's my understanding that the $2,000 paid to Groovy Bee was supposed to be for far more than this 'milestone' that Elektronite received.

Now the version that I've seen on YouTube, and the version I assume Jeff Minter played was not this version. Development on the game obviously continued after the 'milestone' release.

The Intellivoice samples added after the 'milestone' were also an issue, hence the comparison ad on the site. Does it poke fun at Groovy Bee's version? That depends on how you look at it. Apparently Groovy Bee was standing behind his samples as finished. So if he thought they were fine, why is playing them along with the ones Elektronite did a bad thing?The ad just demonstrates the difference. The Plimpton bit is just a way to have some fun with it.

All of these things are why Elektronite wants to completely redevelop the game. And the REDEVELOPED game is what you are paying for should you choose to take advantage of this offer.

I've been told that Elektronite is also prepared to give a refund to those who purchase "Half Cut" if not enough are sold to fund the programming of the redeveloped game.

Buy it or don't. Your choice. But personally, I will, because I want to have a fully developed, fully playable version of Hover Bovver on my Intellivision. That's it.

@ Eric

Its a box for a different game with probably different graphics. I dont know, but it does not makes much sense for me to call a game CiB because its just in a box. Is a Intellivision Tutankham CiB if I put it into a VCS Tutankham box? If Hover Bovver will be released without a new box, its a cart only game. I dont see any relation between the new developed game and the old boxes, especially since the box mentions Mark Ball as the developer.

So dont get the feeling that you have a CiB game if you buy a box and a cart seperately, which were never ment to come together in that form. Hover Bovver CiB would be just possible if either Groovy releases the game, or Elektronite is making new boxes. To tell the truth, I dont see any reason why Elektronite should not make new boxes. Hover Bovver is a normal release and they are proud that every game so far was released in a high quality box with manual and overlays. So keep that standard for the new Hover Bovver.

Edit: Dont get me wrong. If you want to put your new Hover Bovver in the old boxes and call it CiB its your choice, thats quite okay. I just want to point out that I dont feel forced to buy a box for this cart later to have a CiB game. If Elektronite does not make new boxes (seems like this will happen), its the first release without a box. Thats okay for me too.

Edited by Ignorama

Well, the same arguments were brought up in that thread (support the effort, pick sides, blah, blah, blah), so it marks the trend. If for some reason this "half-cut edition" does not do well, you'll then tell me "I'm not sure anyone expected a ton of demos to be sold." I'm just saying, like theloon suggested above, that if some comments or actions turns off people in or out of the community, it may hurt the viability of Elektronite's business model. dZ.

Wow, is that what I'd say? I don't think future me would equate selling off useless boxes to selling a game, albeit a "half-cut". They're not calling it a demo, so why would I?

We all pretty much agree that Elektronite's business model may be hurt if too many people are "turned off", and that goes hand-in-hand with speaking with your wallets, and again, NOT referring to a last-minute selling of boxes. I'm referring to future games that are sold, simply. Let him/them worry about that and live with the possible consequences.

Have you seen the "2 level milestone" (aka 'Half Cut Edition')? No sound, no dog AI, no gardener AI, no accelerating mower. Not really playable at all. It's my understanding that the $2,000 paid to Groovy Bee was supposed to be for far more than this 'milestone' that Elektronite received.

Now the version that I've seen on YouTube, and the version I assume Jeff Minter played was not this version. Development on the game obviously continued after the 'milestone' release.

The Intellivoice samples added after the 'milestone' were also an issue, hence the comparison ad on the site. Does it poke fun at Groovy Bee's version? That depends on how you look at it. Apparently Groovy Bee was standing behind his samples as finished. So if he thought they were fine, why is playing them along with the ones Elektronite did a bad thing?The ad just demonstrates the difference. The Plimpton bit is just a way to have some fun with it.

All of these things are why Elektronite wants to completely redevelop the game. And the REDEVELOPED game is what you are paying for should you choose to take advantage of this offer.

I've been told that Elektronite is also prepared to give a refund to those who purchase "Half Cut" if not enough are sold to fund the programming of the redeveloped game.

Buy it or don't. Your choice. But personally, I will, because I want to have a fully developed, fully playable version of Hover Bovver on my Intellivision. That's it.

Nurmix, you seem to have arrived late to the party. That's OK, but please I suggest refraining from stirring the pot. There have already been more than a handful of threads discussing this, including one where the ENTIRE catalogue of conversations between GroovyBee and William is included, where the negotiations started, the bad blood surged, and the deal went to hell. Yes, it's all available if you look.

It is not all as clear cut as some people are making it look, as if Groovy just made a crap code and extorted $2000 dollars out of poor William. It's a bit more nuanced than that.

What the conversations show mostly is that there was miscommunication from the very beginning. Also, that William payed $2000 for that milestone gladly, there was no question of the effort so far. At the very end of the deal--when everything had already gone sour--at that point was when William brought up the thing about it not being sufficient. Of course, after all the rancor had build up.

I am not taking anybody's side on this argument, I have nothing at stake on it. However, I think that it's wrong to continue slinging mud around so righteously--from both sides--when people's reputations are at stake--Mark's and William's as well.

-dZ.

• Like 3

Hey, call it what you will.

But in my eyes, I will have the original Hover Bovver boxes and the the unfinished cart.

and, if I decide and if it happens the completed version of the game by either Elektronite or Groovy Bee.....a win win for me!

Collect responsibly my friends!

this thread is just down right tiring... glad to hear hover bovver may be coming out... if it does and people end up keeping the 1/2 cut edition, does that make it a variant???

Are boxes still for sale?

Probably. Maybe the resident variant hoarders can weigh in?

Hey, If i end up up with with a completed game and a box with instructions, it is a CIB game!

or,as we all know.......it has become an Intellivision collectible either way! Piecing stuff together is how we started collecting in the first place, that is what makes it so much fun.

If a full Elekronite version is eventually released on cart, or if GB's final version is ever released on cart.....or BOTH (Hilarious Game of the Year showdown, anyone? :) ) then I'd be fine calling it a new CIB homebrew and would be happy to play/own either or both versions. After all, it wouldn't be the first time a box had an error on it. That's what magic MARKers and BALL point pins are for ;-) Oh, stop it jason! My sides hurt! Seriously, though, I hope this all works out.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 3

If a full Elekronite version is eventually released on cart, or if GB's final version is ever released on cart.....or BOTH (Hilarious Game of the Year showdown, anyone? :) ) then I'd be fine calling it a new CIB homebrew and would be happy to play/own either or both versions. After all, it wouldn't be the first time a box had an error on it. That's what magic MARKers and BALL point pins are for ;-) Oh, stop it jason! My sides hurt! Seriously, though, I hope this all works out.

What's a ball point pin for?

I bought two of the Half Cuts. They will be paired up with the boxes I already bought. If/When a new Hover Bovver comes out here is what I will do:

If no box is produced, I will buy two of the new carts and 2 of the manuals and place them inside the current boxes with the half cut carts making them CIB (2 carts, 1 manual, 2 overlays, 1 of the 200 boxes being sold now) and it will not be CIB without all the materials.

If a CIB version is produced, I will buy 2 new CIBs and 2 manuals to make CIBs out of the half cuts.

I will not turn in my old half cut carts.

All of the above depends on what William will do. I only can hope that extra materials (manuals) can be purchased separately.

I bought two of the Half Cuts. They will be paired up with the boxes I already bought. If/When a new Hover Bovver comes out here is what I will do:

If no box is produced, I will buy two of the new carts and 2 of the manuals and place them inside the current boxes with the half cut carts making them CIB (2 carts, 1 manual, 2 overlays, 1 of the 200 boxes being sold now) and it will not be CIB without all the materials.

If a CIB version is produced, I will buy 2 new CIBs and 2 manuals to make CIBs out of the half cuts.

I will not turn in my old half cut carts.

All of the above depends on what William will do. I only can hope that extra materials (manuals) can be purchased separately.

That's a GREAT idea!

I would buy Hover Bovver half cut edition to support a fully released game.

But, since I live in Brazil, it seems to be a lot of wasted money on shipping costs...

This and the fact I don't like very much demos, cut versions, DRMs etc. I don't like to collect them and usually they're not fun to play.

This is a tough one. I'm really trying to watch my budget lately, but I already have the 2 HB boxes and overlay sets. If I knew that the full game was eventually going to be released by elektronite, I would probably buy to half cuts now. When the full version is eventually released, I would either update both of them to have 2 CIB versions (not concerned about the mismatch of the cartridge and the box), or succumb to the variant collector in me and only update one of them so I could have one of each. Realistically I would just update both of them. I'm also not a partial game or demo collector, and if I'm not mistaken the demo rom is available for free. The last thing I want is to end up with two $40 demos and no game. Ideally, though, I would love to have two CIB copies - one with Mark's cart and one with Elektronite's cart. Ultimate variant scenario for me :)

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

Isn't it a bit extreme to buy multiple copies of the same product? Wanting to help Elektronite fund the project is all well and good, but I think you should really ask yourself if it's worth the cash to buy X copies of the box and X half cut carts.^^

Edited by 108 Stars

Isn't it a bit extreme to buy multiple copies of the same product? Wanting to help Elektronite fund the project is all well and good, but I think you should really ask yourself if it's worth the cash to buy X copies of the box and X half cut carts.^^

Once a hoarder, always a hoarder......