IGNORED

PC Game Deals

JamesD

Yay!

"

You won the DOSBox Raffle

That's some really nice luck you have there.

Thanks for joining the Winter Sale giveaway on DOSBox.com,

you'll find a key to your free game below.

Have fun and a happy new year!

GOG Team & DOSBox Crew

"

I won Earthworm Jim 1 & 2!

So did I!

But the crazy thing is that I actually own the original CD-ROM release of EWJ1&2 but I don't believe I was able to get the installer to work on anything above XP. So this is very cool to have.

• Like 1

So did I!

But the crazy thing is that I actually own the original CD-ROM release of EWJ1&2 but I don't believe I was able to get the installer to work on anything above XP. So this is very cool to have.

I own or have owned a bunch of games that wont install anymore, and now own most of them on GOG or Steam.

So nice to be able to play some of them again!

FIght N Rage just hit GoG on the 10th, 50% off so it's $10 which is a solid deal for a game like that.

I too agree, I love how GoG gets the old stuff going, then maintains it for the new systems too. It's kind of like Steam with more modern games, but without the DRM shenanigans. I just wish more Epic Megagames title would pop up. I'm getting antsy over Solar Winds and Silverball 2 Plus. The latter I have and I can limp it along in dosbox, but I'd rather have something more stable than a nearly 30 year old floppy to rely on.

Edited by Tanooki

I just wish GoG didn't have everything bundled together with its own DOSBox executable. I know they don't want to have to deal with a thousand noobs asking how to get the game to work, but I hate having to download these larger filesizes, install the game, and then hunt through and delete all the DOSBox files =|

Also, sometimes having the game all pre-patched can be a curse rather than a blessing. See the original Far Cry for a good example >_<

Although I did find a nice fan patch that fixes the "AI can see and shoot through walls" bug.

Arx Fatalis is another game that has to be downgraded if you want to run it on real hardware. The most recent patches break Windows 98 compatibility.

I just wish GoG didn't have everything bundled together with its own DOSBox executable. I know they don't want to have to deal with a thousand noobs asking how to get the game to work, but I hate having to download these larger filesizes, install the game, and then hunt through and delete all the DOSBox files =|

Also, sometimes having the game all pre-patched can be a curse rather than a blessing. See the original Far Cry for a good example >_<

Although I did find a nice fan patch that fixes the "AI can see and shoot through walls" bug.

Arx Fatalis is another game that has to be downgraded if you want to run it on real hardware. The most recent patches break Windows 98 compatibility.

Yeah, the guy behind the CoCoTalk talk show live streams games, and he had problems with an old point and click adventure game he got from GOG, but it was okay on the original.

I wonder about some of their testing on these updates.

• 2 weeks later...

'The fan' is free on indiagala right now

Very rarely do you get to play the part of a proper serial killer, and the game nails its intended mood.

https://freebies.indiegala.com/the-fan?ref=indiegalah

Not sure what I find more disturbing, the fact that a game lets you play a serial killer, or the fact that you know it "nails its intended mood"

:D

• Like 2

We old fogies played one of these once last year, and had a blast with it. It was on one family's twenty-something son's Switch, though. Anyone have suggestions on casting it from a PC to TV?

EPIC has their latest freebie up. You don't know Jack party pack or something like that. The next one will be in February.

We old fogies played one of these once last year, and had a blast with it. It was on one family's twenty-something son's Switch, though. Anyone have suggestions on casting it from a PC to TV?

Yeah, I already have most of them.

As for Casting to a TV... maybe this will help

• Like 1

Not sure what I find more disturbing, the fact that a game lets you play a serial killer, or the fact that you know it "nails its intended mood"

:D

It's perfect for those times when you want the experience of tormenting a woman locked up in your basement--but without all the cleanup and hassle.

Gameplay itself is little lame, and it's a bit short, but this one's about creating the right atmosphere.

There are very few games in the 'murder simulator' genre. GTA tends to get labeled as one, but more of spree-killing game, at best. For better options, I'd mention 'the Deed' or 'Dreamweb,' and I'm always up for new suggestions.

Edited by Reaperman

It's perfect for those times when you want the experience of tormenting a woman locked up in your basement--but without all the cleanup and hassle.

Gameplay itself is little lame, and it's a bit short, but this one's about creating the right atmosphere.

There are very few games in the 'murder simulator' genre. GTA tends to get labeled as one, but more of spree-killing game, at best. For better options, I'd mention 'the Deed' or 'Dreamweb,' and I'm always up for new suggestions.

Well then... the disturbing factor just reached a new high.

I can honestly say I've never wanted to experience that.

The next one will be in February.

And it will be AXIOM VERGE, a slick Metroid-type game. No duds yet in the Epic giveaways.

Nothing beats a long HDMI cable. Wireless casting is always a bit laggy and I would think that would hurt a party game like this. If you shop around, you can probably still find a SteamLink, which you can put on wired ethernet.

• Like 1

Yeah I wish they'd also have a folder of original unmolested game files especially for DOS games. I play on real hardware.

Yeah I wish [GOG] also have a folder of original unmolested game files especially for DOS games. I play on real hardware.

Eh, just delete the DOSBOX folder along with the .conf files and anything with more than eight characters in a filename...

In addition to playing my DOS games in GOG Galaxy, I also run them through DOSbox-SVN-Daun for that CRT shader effect.

• Like 1