IGNORED

PS3 Hidden Gems/Best Games So Far

saverofgames

Gabriel's favorites:

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection = Played a lot of Taxi, Medieval Madness, and Sorcerer
Cross Edge = pure level grinding satisfaction
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory = dropped it before completing it, but was having a fun time
Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls = played the holy hell out of this one
Q*Bert = Is this one even available anymore?
Either Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 or Warriors Orochi 3 = square, square, square, triangle, rinse, repeat.

Macross 30 = dropped it and haven't gotten back to it, but played for a very solid run. Got frustrated trying to hunt for YF-19 parts and plans.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F = If I'm in the mood for something quick to play, tapping out a couple of songs on this usually fits the bill.

I thought this was a MetalJesus thread for a sec.

Here's some on PSN that should not be overlooked:

Guacamelee

Fat Princess

Pixeljunk Monsters

Pixeljunk Shooter 1 and 2 (These games are modern day versions of H.E.R.O)

About a Blob: Tales from Space

Dead Nation

The Unfinished Swan

Wizardry

Wipeout HD

Disc based games are:

3D Dot Game Heroes

Disgaea 3

Valkyria Chronicles (nobody knows how great this was)

Folklore (Great for grind lovers)

Demons Souls (I liked it better than Dark Souls)

Sly Cooper Trilogy

Singularity

Yakuza 3

Afrika was pretty cool and I'm probably forgetting some others.

Valkyria Chronicles (nobody knows how great this was)

I ended up feeling that this one was overrated in terms of gameplay. It's basically what I call a "trick game". For quite a few battles I felt that what you had to do to pass them was completely at odds with any kind of tactical thinking. Also, some of the battles were designed to be impassable unless you already knew the location of all enemies and when they were programmed to move.

I didn't finish it. I gave up when a battle came up where I was supposed to run around a train yard and flip switches. That was the last straw for me. I loaded up Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and played through Shining Force 2 instead.

Valkyria Chronicles is a beautiful game visually. It's definitely one of the tiny few this generation which showed any artistry in it's presentation or exuded any feeling from it's production whatsoever. I think everyone should at least play 20 hours of it to soak in what a game with actual effort put behind it should look like. And the game mechanics themselves are just fine.

It's just that the level design was extremely lackluster.

I ended up feeling that this one was overrated in terms of gameplay. It's basically what I call a "trick game". For quite a few battles I felt that what you had to do to pass them was completely at odds with any kind of tactical thinking. Also, some of the battles were designed to be impassable unless you already knew the location of all enemies and when they were programmed to move.

I didn't finish it. I gave up when a battle came up where I was supposed to run around a train yard and flip switches. That was the last straw for me. I loaded up Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and played through Shining Force 2 instead.

Valkyria Chronicles is a beautiful game visually. It's definitely one of the tiny few this generation which showed any artistry in it's presentation or exuded any feeling from it's production whatsoever. I think everyone should at least play 20 hours of it to soak in what a game with actual effort put behind it should look like. And the game mechanics themselves are just fine.

It's just that the level design was extremely lackluster.

It could have been perfect if not for the difficulty on some missions and yes some levels were gimicky rather than just straight up combat. I cant say much more than that cause I loved it to pieces. I was hoping a console version of part 2 would have been released that was more polished. This should NOT drive away anyone from this game. At 20 bucks on Amazon its a must buy.

Valkyria Chronicles

Eye of Judgment

Modnation Racers (though sony continues to try to keep this series out of hidden gem status)

Shift 2 Unleashed

Birds of steel

Especially modnation racers and birds of steel--it's hard for me to imagine how those two games could have been much better in their genres.

It could have been perfect if not for the difficulty on some missions and yes some levels were gimicky rather than just straight up combat. I cant say much more than that cause I loved it to pieces. I was hoping a console version of part 2 would have been released that was more polished. This should NOT drive away anyone from this game. At 20 bucks on Amazon its a must buy.

I wish part 2 had been given a proper console treatment as well, but I am still am having fun with it on the PSP anyway… has been pretty much my main once since July (shows you how much time I have to game these days).

But for anyone that hasn't given the original PS3 game a try… it's a no-brainer if one has any kind of interest in rpgs. Rather easy and cheap to find.

3D Dot Game Heroes seems to be a fan favorite here. I would like to suggest Nier as well. Didn't sell well, didn't get amazing reviews in the press, but it's kind of a cult classic that mashes together a bunch of gameplay styles and wraps them up in an extremely compelling story. Worth a look. One of my favorite games this gen.