IGNORED

Atari800 and saving to disk

Arjen Schumacher

I'm completely puzzled with the Atari800 emulator.

I've written a Basic program and can successfully save it to cassette by using the CSAVE command, and CLOAD for loading respectively. So far so good.

However, I wanted to try the disk emulation as well. So I created a blank .ATR disk from the disk management menu, and inserted it in the D1: slot. I tried saving it using SAVE "D:TEST.BAS", SAVE "D1:TEST.BAS" but to no avail.

Am I missing a step here? I've configured the Atari as an Atari800xl 64kb machine with Basic loading as default.

Any help is much appreciated!:)

With any emulation you need a DOS, either booted from a mounted floppy or mounted as a cartridge image are the usual cases.

Also the ATR image you save programs to needs to be formatted. Good practice is to mount your work disk on D2: or another drive and just leave your DOS image in D1:

Better practice, use one of the more advanced emulators like Atari800Win+ or Altirra. Altirra being best as per accuracy and being updated, Atari800Win+ probably giving the best combination of accuracy and ease of use.

H: images IMO are preferable if using the emulator to write/save programs but a little more complicated to use.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to necrobump here, but I am having a terrible time with the Altirra emulator. If I type in SAVE:"D2:FRANK.ATR it gives me a message of 162 DSK FULL. How can it be full if a.) it's new, and b.) my basic program I made only has 10 lines?

Edit: Saving it to disk drive #1 works fine. But I want to know how an empty disk can be full?

Edited by atari2600land

(empty disk) is sort of misleading - it's actually an image that's not formatted. The problem being that no file system is initialized on it.

So you'd need to have first booted with a Dos ATR in D1: then use the format command.

Or alternatively you can elect when creating the new disk to have it ready formatted in one of the available filesystems (select from the dropdown menu near the bottom).