IGNORED

TI-99 Photos Thread! Post your systems here!

slinkeey

I am now able to make tapes using the Radio Shack setup. By connecting the TI's red cable (MIC out) to the tape deck's MIC IN port for the left channel (also for mono recording.) I was having a problem with a really bad buzzing and could not figure out the source until today: the USB power supply for my nanoPEB. Now I run the nanoPEB off a USB battery pack and the tape audio chain is oh so perfect. The paper sticking out of the top of the cassette tray is to defeat the record lock-out as these tapes are "tab-out" and I did not want to put tape over the holes.

For the curious, I did some research last week about the types of tapes used for computers. Generally all computer cassette tapes are Type I, or standard ferrous recording medium. It turns out computer recordings have a much lower quality requirement than music recording due to both frequency and dynamic ranges in use, but do require fast and smooth frequency shifts. While one could use Type II (CrO2) or Type IV (metal) the difference in equalization could cause problems reading data and tape degradation over time supposedly becomes more pronounced.

The recommendation for computer recordings is a good quality Type I cassette of short recording length, ostensibly to give a thicker substrate. Manufacturers like Maxell, Tandy/RadioShack, Certron, and a few others were reliable for this practice with their "computer certified" cassette tapes. Longer recording times use tape medium thinner in both magnetic media and substrate to allow more to be wound up on a reel in the same amount of space. Thus quality and the risk of an "eaten" tape is sacrificed for recording time, much the same as with VCR tapes. C90 (45 minutes per side) was the cross-over point to the thinner medium but some manufacturers used thinner tape medium for C90, sometimes even C60, and up to save money on manufacturing costs. All that said, I have been able to recover data from C90 and C120 cassettes from the late 1980s with a little extra effort tuning tone and volume.

Looking forward to repairing my real Program Recorder, though. This configuration works great but has the annoying problem that I have to move my headphones from the amplifier to the TI's audio output and adjust the volume for each tape mode, recording for the former and playing for the latter.

post-27864-0-14102900-1521507376_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Ralf!!

Ive been finding some really neat diskettes going through all this stuff... lots of 3rd party utilities and games, and I think I may have pretty close to a complete set of TI branded software disks!! I have at least 30 unique titles on the brown and white disk label. I was excited to find my TI Trek package, as thats one of my favorite games and the inspiration for my new programming project.

I found two CorComp Disk Manager disks and a bunch of Page Pro and Artist stuff as well. My original Asgard TOD Editor package along with the manual for XBII+ and a couple 3rd party ToD games from back then.

Its like Christmas

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 2