IGNORED

Jaguar's largest cart?

theaveng

Speak only of released carts, 4MB.

It's technically possible to make a 6MB cart, but nobody mae a game that needed this (and I doubt there was even a PCB designed for it by Atari).

Any bigger than that requires bankswitching.

Stone

I'm pretty sure that those large N64 carts, like Resident Evil 2, use bank-switching as well. Basically, with Bank-switching, technically, the sky is the limit. AvP is supposed to be about 84megabytes compressed into a 4megabyte cart. This comes from the programmer's themselves. I have the interview in a Mag. I'd imagine this is also true of some other Jaguar games too, like Skyhammer.

AvP is supposed to be about 84megabytes compressed into a 4megabyte cart. This comes from the programmer's themselves.

Yes, but they're probably 'playing the numbers game': adding together all the sizes of their TIFF-encoded artwork before they converted it to JagPeg etc. ;)

Stone

That's EXACTLY what they and I meant, 84 megabytes of data, BEFORE compression. Isn't that what I said? They weren't trying to fool anybody; Quote: "...the actual uncompressed size of AvP is close to 128megs!!! Atari's Jag-peg is used to compress the graphics at a ratio of about 8:1 without any loss of quality!" this came out of Gamefan magazine (known as Diehard Gamefan back then) in their "Inside Rebellion" article: Special Europa Feature. from IIRC a may '94 issue. Of course we know that compression was improved to about 12:1 or more since the version of Jag-peg they used. But, after re-reading the article, it appears the numbers they are using are Megabits, not megabytes, becaus they refer to it being a "16meg" cart, wich must mean 2megabyte, so I guess AvP is only a 2 megabyte cart after all: "Trying to make the levels interesting and varied and trying to cram in sampled sound effects hasn't been easy given the restrictions of a 16 meg cart." These quotes are directly from the mouth of Jason Kingsley, Creative Director of Rebellion (at the time) and Mike Beaton, the programmer of AvP. If AvP is 4 megabytes, they must have gotten the go-ahead from Atari after this interview to make it 4 megabytes, but this was VERY near the deadline and completion of the game, so who knows... :ponder: so my 84megabyte quote was wrong anyway, I must be remembering that from another game...But, I'd like to know if the N64 game, RE2, is 64 true megabytes, or megabits, which would be an 8megabyte cart, which sounds a hell of a lot more reasonable, and if that is before or after compression, if any was used at all (if it truely was 64megabytes, which I find hard to chew in an N64 cart, after all, these things didn't sell for hundreds like NeoGeo carts, and a 64 MEGABYTE cart would cost a TON to manufacture!) I'm inclined to believe that Resident Evil 2 on the N64 was quoted as a "64meg" cart, which we know marketing uses to fool the consumer into thinking it's MEGABYTES when in actuality it's MEGABITS. if that's the case, then the N64's largest cart is 64megabits (8megabytes) and the Jag's is 32megabits (4megabytes).

What was Atari Jaguar largest cart?

I'm just curious how it compares to S-NES' Final Fantasy 6* (3 megabytes) and N64's Resident Evil 2 (64 megabytes).

(* Japanese numbering)

The Alpine Board is the largest! It's about a foot wide and 8" tall!!!

I think my test fixture has it BEAT! It's even BIGGER!

Jason

But, I'd like to know if the N64 game, RE2, is 64 true megabytes, or megabits, which would be an 8megabyte cart, which sounds a hell of a lot more reasonable...

It's megaBYTES. Reason: RE2 used full-motion video. Other N64 ROM sizes:

Mario64 8 megabytes

Banjo-Kazooie 16 megabytes

Zelda: Ocarina 32 megabytes

Uncompressed, RE2 was around 5 gigabytes of movie. They used severe MPEG2 compression to squeeze it down to 64 megabytes.

Well, I'm VERY impressed that they can sell those for under $100 then, (don't know what they go for, but I assume less than that) must be because of ridiculously large production runs that they are able to produce them cheaply enough with that much memory in ROM!

Well, I'm VERY impressed that they can sell those for under $100 then, (don't know what they go for, but I assume less than that) must be because of ridiculously large production runs that they are able to produce them cheaply enough with that much memory in ROM!

I believe they have their own custom chips and their own foundry to make them in.

Also... mask ROMs are super cheap to make... once you have a $250,000 mask to use to create them from. You can also get a lot more storage on a mask ROM than on RAM or ROM because those types of memory are made up of several tiny components in each "cel" on the chip. A Mask ROM is just a little connection in a "cel". Instead of a couple transistors and capacitors in each cel, you just have a little bitty wire of sorts. So... you can pack a lot more cels into one chip and get grossly big density.

Mask ROMS are just super cheap in comparison to programmable memory... but you gotta pay upfront for the mask.

N64 carts solf for $60 or $70 new. In contrast, PS1 CDs were $50 new. Considering that 64MB RAM goes for $10, I wouldn't expect a ROM to be very expensive. The small storage space and large expense of N64 carts was one of the reasons many developers avoided the N64 and caused it to flop. The chose the PS1's cheap CDs for their games.

SO, LARGEST CARTS:

3 megabytes Super Nintendo

4 megabytes Atari Jaguar

64 megabytes Nintendo64

I'm surprised the Jaguar did not use larger carts comparable to the N64.