IGNORED

Paddle Party Gameplay video

catsfolly

For me Air Hockey loots most promising. Handball looks a bit weird, because the opponent can block you and play your turns without getting any penalty. It also seems, that the playzone is very small and the sprites kind of large. I am excited to test this mode, but the video showed some points which I may do not like.

For me Air Hockey loots most promising. Handball looks a bit weird, because the opponent can block you and play your turns without getting any penalty. It also seems, that the playzone is very small and the sprites kind of large. I am excited to test this mode, but the video showed some points which I may do not like.

I like the oddity and uniqueness of the action. The strategy is to not let it drop on your color even if that means pushing your opponent over to keep it alive!

• Like 1

I saw Tennis in Space... but I do not understand it :lol:

But the first two modes look awesome, I loved Shuffle Puck Cafe on the Amiga, so this is a nice game for sure. I'll order it next week after the payday.

Tennis in Space is not as confusing as it looks.

Basically, you are trying to do two things at the same time:

1. Fly a spaceship through a field of meteors, and

2. Beat your friend at tennis.

So you have to cooperate to fly through the meteors and stay alive, but also you are competing to win the tennis game.

Also, there are "energy globes" (the blue balls) that you can pick up. If you pick up 20 of them, you get an extra life.

The ship is pushed forward by "invisible waves of cosmic energy". You can control the left and right speeds only.

In the video, I am weaving around to show off the parallax scrolling. Maybe this makes is a little confusing....

Thanks for watching,

Catsfolly

I played Tennis in Space and enjoy it. You are playing 2 games at the same time: classic pong and a collect/dodge space game. While neither half is that complex by itself, together it becomes rather interesting.

For Air Hockey, I was REALLY impressed by it. It felt like it really captured the essence of the real game. This includes being able to lift your paddle 'vertically' and catching the puck/disc underneath it so that you can stop and reposition it. My wife isn't a gamer, but when she looked up from her laptop reading, she was impressed as well.

Handball Smash is also a lot of fun. I only got to play against the computer, but as a 2 person game, this would be a great competitive game. Here, you also can to mess around with your opponent by continually trying to knock them out of the way as they fight to get the ball. In most games you simply compete, but here you get to interfere with the opponent's game play (and they can return the favor).

The other tennis games are simple but add an additional "spin" on the game. If you hit the ball while moving, you can spin the ball, making it act like a curve ball. Adds a nice touch to the game.

All-in-all, this is a good collection of fun games that I'll be pulling off the shelf time and again.

• Like 1

Hi Catsfolly!

I placed my order of the game a few days ago and I will provide some feedback and a review once I get to play it, but for the moment, here's my impression of the game, based only on that video:

• Air Hockey looks amazing! I'm glad you went with it, for I recall when you were still debating which games to include, and I really wanted to see this kind of game on the Intellivision. The physics on the video seem very realistic, the action fast and exciting--plus it looks like a lot of fun!
  • Handball Smash looks like fun, although the play-field seems a bit crowded. Perhaps this is what you intended, to add to the challenge, but watching it gave me the impression that there's not much room to move around, which could be frustrating. I'll wait and see.
  • Tennis In Space does look confusing. I can't seem to follow it very well on the video, even though I know the game-play objectives. Perhaps it's one of those games that needs to be played in order to be appreciated. It looks complicated. It may require reading the manual and much more concentration than your typical Pong game. I'll wait and see.
  • Cool use of circle drawing in Colored Squares mode! I wonder where I've seen that before? ;)

Congratulations on another release! It looks sure to please. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Catsfolly!

I placed my order of the game a few days ago and I will provide some feedback and a review once I get to play it, but for the moment, here's my impression of the game, based only on that video:

• Air Hockey looks amazing! I'm glad you went with it, for I recall when you were still debating which games to include, and I really wanted to see this kind of game on the Intellivision. The physics on the video seem very realistic, the action fast and exciting--plus it looks like a lot of fun!
  • Handball Smash looks like fun, although the play-field seems a bit crowded. Perhaps this is what you intended, to add to the challenge, but watching it gave me the impression that there's not much room to move around, which could be frustrating. I'll wait and see.
  • Tennis In Space does look confusing. I can't seem to follow it very well on the video, even though I know the game-play objectives. Perhaps it's one of those games that needs to be played in order to be appreciated. It looks complicated. It may require reading the manual and much more concentration than your typical Pong game. I'll wait and see.
  • Cool use of circle drawing in Colored Squares mode! I wonder where I've seen that before? ;)

Congratulations on another release! It looks sure to please. :)

-dZ.

Thanks.

I guess some thanks are in order.

dZ - Thank you for suggesting Air Hockey, and for your nice circle drawing routines!

Fushek - Thanks for suggesting multi-ball tv tennis. Because of my spin routines, I could only do 2 balls, but it turned out fun.

GroovyBee - Thanks for saying that "Paddles don't work on Botz", which motivated me to try and find a way that I could fight robots with paddles...

Catsfolly

• Like 2

I finally got around to opening the box and playing today. I managed to convince my wife to play Paddle Party with me (er... you in the back, no snickering! I meant the Intellivision game!). She's not much of a gamer and certainly doesn't share my affinity of retro-games, but she still agreed to give it a go. We both loved Handball Smash--it was so much fun!!!

I had originally in mind that Air Hockey was the "killer app" of the set, with its realistic physics and awesome action. However, I have to say that for a two-player party game, Handball Smash wins handspaddles down! :) I can see us playing that game again soon. That's not to say that Air Hockey wasn't enjoyable--it certainly was. However, once we played Handball Smash it was the clear and obvious winner.

Tennis In Space, on the hand... not a hit, sorry. It does look cool, and the explosions are neat, but it is a bit too complex for a casual game, and it feels more like work than fun. I'll have to give it another try and get more acquainted with it, but the fact that it requires additional acclimation--in a party game package--clearly shows its inferiority to the others.

I played all the games in single-player mode and I enjoyed them all, but nothing beats playing with a partner, just like the good old days. :)

Thanks catsfolly for making the game. It is a very neat game, and although I did not find the re-playability and enjoyment to be consistent across all variations, a select few make up for the others in spades--especially when played with a partner as the party game it was meant to be.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

I finally got around to opening the box and playing today. I managed to convince my wife to play Paddle Party with me (er... you in the back, no snickering! I meant the Intellivision game!). She's not much of a gamer and certainly doesn't share my affinity of retro-games, but she still agreed to give it a go. We both loved Handball Smash--it was so much fun!!!

I had originally in mind that Air Hockey was the "killer app" of the set, with its realistic physics and awesome action. However, I have to say that for a two-player party game, Handball Smash wins handspaddles down! :) I can see us playing that game again soon. That's not to say that Air Hockey wasn't enjoyable--it certainly was. However, once we played Handball Smash it was the clear and obvious winner.

Tennis In Space, on the hand... not a hit, sorry. It does look cool, and the explosions are neat, but it is a bit too complex for a casual game, and it feels more like work than fun. I'll have to give it another try and get more acquainted with it, but the fact that it requires additional acclimation--in a party game package--clearly shows its inferiority to the others.

I played all the games in single-player mode and I enjoyed them all, but nothing beats playing with a partner, just like the good old days. :)

Thanks catsfolly for making the game. It is a very neat game, and although I did not find the re-playability and enjoyment to be consistent across all variations, a select few make up for the others in spades--especially when played with a partner as the party game it was meant to be.

-dZ.

Great! Thanks for playing it. Glad you liked Handball Smash.

The "secret" to playing "Tennis in Space" is that you don't have to play tennis at all.

Try this - just play it as a dodging game - avoid the orange things, pick up the blue things.

If and when you get comfortable with that, you can start paying attention to the tennis game.

If you get to the point where you can do both at once, you'll find a synergy between the games - winning a tennis game gives you an extra life (in single player mode), while using the jets to dodge things interferes with the ai and makes it easier to win at tennis (but using the jets increases the chance that the spaceship will run into something)...

Oh well. Glad you enjoyed some of the games...

• Like 1

Great! Thanks for playing it. Glad you liked Handball Smash.

The "secret" to playing "Tennis in Space" is that you don't have to play tennis at all.

Try this - just play it as a dodging game - avoid the orange things, pick up the blue things.

If and when you get comfortable with that, you can start paying attention to the tennis game.

If you get to the point where you can do both at once, you'll find a synergy between the games - winning a tennis game gives you an extra life (in single player mode), while using the jets to dodge things interferes with the ai and makes it easier to win at tennis (but using the jets increases the chance that the spaceship will run into something)...

Oh well. Glad you enjoyed some of the games...

Please don't get me wrong. I enjoyed EVERY SINGLE ONE of them. :)

I just enjoyed some more than others and--I can't say it enough--Handball Smash with two players is the most fun I've had in a while. Fantastic game!

But they were all good. I plan on giving Tennis In Space some quality time today. :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

If you want to give Handball Smash a try, and have as much fun as DZ-Jay is having with Paddle Party, not to mention finding some cool Easter Eggs, get your order in today!

The purchase website goes offline tonight at 12pm EST.

www.classicgamepublishers.com

We should be back in late Spring 2014.

If you want to give Handball Smash a try, and have as much fun as DZ-Jay is having with Paddle Party, not to mention finding some cool Easter Eggs, get your order in today!

The purchase website goes offline tonight at 12pm EST.

www.classicgamepublishers.com

We should be back in late Spring 2014.

12 AM?