IGNORED

The latest member of my PCB family has arrived.

CPUWIZ

I know this is boring to most people, but I just finished my personal test board, with the new PCB. I soldered a triple jumper header to the jumper pins for A17, floating (27C010), high (128K using a 27C020 HI) or O17 from PLD (256K 27C020). Also soldered a piece of IDE cable to a SPDT switch, to toggle between RAM or EPROM usage for 0x4000. Nice and colorful, gotta love part bin pieces. LOL

78BSRAM_0.JPG

78BSRAM_1.JPG

78BSRAM_2.JPG

• Like 2

I know this is boring to most people, but I just finished my personal test board, with the new PCB. I soldered a triple jumper header to the jumper pins for A17, floating (27C010), high (128K using a 27C020 HI) or O17 from PLD (256K 27C020). Also soldered a piece of IDE cable to a SPDT switch, to toggle between RAM or EPROM usage for 0x4000. Nice and colorful, gotta love part bin pieces. LOL

Very nice work, it like the ZIF sockets. Did OSHPark cut the PCBs that way? So far I have only ordered rectangle.

ISPLevel Classic is Lattice program, buts its so old and hard to use. From above it looks like your using Atmel. Do they make CPLDs too? I've only used Altera and Xilinx so far.

From above it looks like your using Atmel. Do they make CPLDs too? I've only used Altera and Xilinx so far.

I think what you are looking at in the picture, is the 128K PROM, which is an OTP part from ATMEL. The PLD is on the back of the board, and it's a 20V8B, made by Lattice. Altera and Xilinx do not supply DIP parts, right? I always want to keep it to the real homebrew level. :)

• Like 3

Doh! I found a bug on the board. It's minor, but I didn't connect Vpp (or WE on RAM) to the middle of the jumper, but to the right. :dunce:

So instead of Vcc-Vpp-WE, it's Vcc-WE-Vpp. It's alright though, the jumper default is using WE anyway.

Here is a fixed Impossible Mission, using a 8K SRAM...

PM.JPG

• Like 1

Possible Mission? Did anyone ever do a run of that fix? That board is really pretty. So if we can find a supply of cart shells there will no longer be a need for donors?

Gonna have to find someone willing to make a mold or donors will still be needed, but on the bright side never gonna have to hunt down winter games, summer games,

jinks, ace of aces or commando EVER again! :)

Well, I am not sure, santosp isn't really interested in supporting the homebrew community. I talked to him via PM, after he got a little ticked off about my questions in regards to his POKEY board. I think his sources are simply too expensive, so Commando is still what it is. Maybe I'll dust off my POKEY board I started 7 years ago, but never finished. Then again, maybe not, seems to be too hard/expensive to get POKEY chips these days.

Well, I am not sure, santosp isn't really interested in supporting the homebrew community. I talked to him via PM, after he got a little ticked off about my questions in regards to his POKEY board. I think his sources are simply too expensive, so Commando is still what it is. Maybe I'll dust off my POKEY board I started 7 years ago, but never finished. Then again, maybe not, seems to be too hard/expensive to get POKEY chips these days.

Still lots of Ballblazers out there to be hurt for pokey pleasures.

EDIT: And as far as that santosp guy goes I kinda got that vibe. I mean his PCB is worth a whole $5 bucks tops even in prototyping small numbers (lots of 6 pcbs are pretty damn cheap both you and I know this). 100 percent profit is one thing, 1000 percent profit is something else all together.

Edited by AtariFriend

EDIT: And as far as that santosp guy goes I kinda got that vibe. I mean his PCB is worth a whole $5 bucks tops even in prototyping small numbers (lots of 6 pcbs are pretty damn cheap both you and I know this). 100 percent profit is one thing, 1000 percent profit is something else all together.

I'm a little confused by this AtariFriend, even using your $5 figure for the PCB.

$5 - PCB

$10 - POKEY chip

Let's say the shipping costs for the cart from Greece to United States is $5.

That's $20 bare-min cost, if the $5 PCB price holds out and it does not including any shipping charges incurred when santosp bought the POKEY chips from Best Electronics.

It also does not include or account for at the very least the cart casing, label, or the labor involved.

He's charging $50 for the cart which includes shipping.

Where does a 1000% profit come from?

I genuinely don't understand the negativity towards the work santosp is doing and has done.

• Like 2

I didn't mean to offend with my questions either. It just wasn't obvious to me at the start what the goal was with so many Commando carts out there. After reading what the goal was, I respect the work behind it.

I'd like to see something really crazy, like a cart with dual Pokeys or 1MB.

I'm a little confused by this AtariFriend, even using your $5 figure for the PCB.

$5 - PCB

$10 - POKEY chip

Let's say the shipping costs for the cart from Greece to United States is $5.

That's $20 bare-min cost, if the $5 PCB price holds out and it does not including any shipping charges incurred when santosp bought the POKEY chips from Best Electronics.

It also does not include or account for at the very least the cart casing, label, or the labor involved.

He's charging $50 for the cart which includes shipping.

Where does a 1000% profit come from?

I genuinely don't understand the negativity towards the work santosp is doing and has done.

There is no negativity, What I ment was it's only a $5 PCB. And no pokey chips don't cost $10 not even close.

At the same time I'll ask why jump so high to someones defense for reproducing a retail game for what is

at least the exact same price as the vinage retail product? Many could say bad things about doing that (I'm not,

just pointing out it could be argued).

The whole idea of newer boards is to cut out the need for crazy prices not to encourage them and that goes

for all parties not anyone in particular.

And soon it won't matter as CPUWIZ will finish his old design and that exact same and or better will be out there

for homebrew use at a reasonable price and so will the games made using those boards.

Edited by AtariFriend