IGNORED

2nd Annual CvW competition (December)

Still struggling in the early levels for some reason. Had up to 6 lives, but that sneaky ghost takes my presents every time when I'm so close. Then I lose all my lives trying to do it again. I should start leaving myself as many snowflakes as possible....

Not a terrible score, but can't seem to get Ranger yet this year. Score for 12 days...

CvG_2013_2322_12/12/13

• Like 1

for stage 1,2,4 I can do perfect 100% of time. But stage 3 Candy Cane I'm not so good at. What is a good method on this stage?

Method I use now is I get 2 candy, then top left, then bottom left, then right bottom, and right top

What I would like to do it kind of box in the snowman like what is possible on other levels, any ideas?

Still struggling in the early levels for some reason. Had up to 6 lives, but that sneaky ghost takes my presents every time when I'm so close. Then I lose all my lives trying to do it again. I should start leaving myself as many snowflakes as possible....

Not a terrible score, but can't seem to get Ranger yet this year. Score for 12 days...

Jason, perhaps you should review the Tips & Tricks from last year. The thread also contains some valuable information provided by veterans such as Liduario and Scalpel.

To address one of your specific problems, consider this: The Ghost moves in as direct way as possible, from present to present. He picks his next present randomly, but as long as you are not in his path, you should be OK--That is, until you pick up a present. He gets alerted and runs towards that spot immediately! Eventually, he forgets where he was going, stops and looks around, and proceeds with his random present tending.

So, to avoid the Ghost, a good idea is to avoid picking a present when you are very close to it, or when there is no easy way to escape his path, such as a straight corridor. If you do pick up a present, then do it when he is stopped (the silly Ghost can't hear when he's not moving :lol: ). You can save your Snowflake then for emergencies, and for the Snowman.

I hope this helps. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

for stage 1,2,4 I can do perfect 100% of time. But stage 3 Candy Cane I'm not so good at. What is a good method on this stage?

Method I use now is I get 2 candy, then top left, then bottom left, then right bottom, and right top

What I would like to do it kind of box in the snowman like what is possible on other levels, any ideas?

Candy Cove is the bane of me! I hate it, with the burning passion of a thousand suns. Whenever I play (and this goes back even to the beta testing times), and I hit that stage, I groan with pain.

My main problem is that I'm a candy hoarder. I can't help myself in trying to pick up every single piece of candy, and it's darn right hard on that stage.

I have some sort of pattern, but it doesn't work every time. Perhaps you may make use of it: In my opinion, the key is to clear the top-left room before the Snowman comes out. So, as soon as the level starts, run up there, no dilly-dallying about. Walk in and out of the room in a way that you pick up the candy in the entrance corridor of the room.

Avoid backtracking, just a direct and quick path from starting point, to present, snowflake, then present, then out again. Come out of the room and go into the bottom-left side area just in time for the Snowman to come out.

Now, the rooms at the bottom are easier because of the tunnels; do those next. Leave the top-right room for last.

That's how I do it. If I hear the Snowman's howl and I'm still in the top-left room, I know my chances of a perfect score (and survival) just got reduced.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Just a quick note to say ....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DZ!

Hope you get to celebrate in style ... make your wife take you out to a fancy, shmancy restaurant tonight!

Also, I'm linking to a story for all the new players this year from last year's contest that shows just how cool your wife is.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206445-happy-birthday-dz/?do=findComment&comment=2657628

Enjoy!

Edited by Fushek
  • Like 2

Today's date is important, and that's no secret.

It's not Christmas, but is it Easter?

Regardless of the occasion, one thing is clear...

43, it seems, will be a great year. ;)

Sneaky! You know, I was going to try that but hadn't gotten to it yet. Time to pull out the cart and give that a try.

• Like 1

That's the toughest stage for me too... for the most part. Of course if the ghost hits me in the Snowflake Garden after I already got the snowflakes, that's really the worst! might as well hit reset...

I'll share my playbook for Candy Cove! I'm no expert & I screw it up all the time, but it seems to me like a good game plan in theory...

** I can usually clear the top 2 "coves" before having to dodge the snowman. (sometimes he catches up to me a little early & I have to eat a snowflake & run for it) My main problem with my opening is getting hit by the ghost before clearing the top 2 rooms & getting out.

post-34560-0-24188000-1386967998_thumb.gif

1. I start by running left & going to the top-right room, grabbing everything but the last snowflake (leaving that for insurance in case I hit the ghost later on). Try to time it so the ghost is stopped when grabbing gifts, but not wasting time, it has to be pretty fast.

2. Then quickly out, making sure to exit the room on the left side, so the ghost will miss me on his way in. Scramble to the upper left room, munching a few bon-bons on the way in. (Snowman usually howls before I get to the spot where I drew a star.) Eat everything in the room but the snowflake, & wait right there to the left of it, where the arrow ends. Snowman usually zooms straight through to the other side & just keeps going left through the exit repeatedly. Then I try to get out & continue without eating the snowflake. If I go at the first chance, snowman will still be slow so I don't need the snowflake (but that ghost is SO pesky!) Hopefully nabbing the last 4 bon-bons on the way out.

post-34560-0-01195000-1386967999_thumb.gif

Whenever Snowman gets to running straight through like this, you can mess around in these "safe areas" without throwing him off his route. But I find it is not quite 100% reliable -- perhaps stepping too far to the right or squirreling around too much will get his attention. So I try to always leave the snowflakes as much as possible.

Also there are at least 4 "prisons" you can keep Snowman in by staying in little safe zones. Unfortunately it's not easy to trap him into them like in the Icicle Lane prison. But I have been taking advantage whenever he starts to get stuck & have even been able to lure him into a trap a few times:

post-34560-0-76611400-1386967999_thumb.gifpost-34560-0-56731700-1386968000_thumb.gifpost-34560-0-29235100-1386968001_thumb.gifpost-34560-0-03716100-1386968002_thumb.gif

maybe with some practice these can be used more effectively?

hope it helps!

• Like 4

Interesting, today I tried your path practicing in Master level...

Bad news... It didn't work for me, at least not when things go fast.

I follow Dz-Jay plan. Top left goes first, top right is my final area.

Top areas are the dangerous places when you hit the ghost...

When it happens, I pick all bottom presents, go for top right area and try to lure snowman, pick a snowflake and trap him as in your last pic.

For snowflake garden, the best is to take snowman out of the center.

• Like 1

Ah, ok thanks Lid. Not surprised to see that I may have been developing a bad habit :roll:

I've used it in Novice & Helper modes, but I hadn't tried Master yet. I need to play more of that now. I had the impression it was a little easier since Carol is faster, but that's what I get for assuming...

well I don't have an improved score yet today but I did get a couple more perfect stages in practice mode just for the fun of it (one more to go in Novice practice!) --

Stage 6 post-34560-0-68140900-1386972116_thumb.gif

Stage 5 post-34560-0-09444300-1386972118_thumb.gif

And a perfect Level 18:

post-34560-0-02551000-1386972384_thumb.gif

... Nice one Oscar!

• Like 1