IGNORED

2nd Annual CvW competition (December)

I just checked out the official website and discovered that, in last year's contest, "Jesus" came in 4th place. Musta been kind of disappointing for him, it being his birthday and all |:)

I also discovered that I'm now an "Elf in Training". Yet another vigorous boost to my flailing, middle-aged ego :-D

• Like 3

Well, the intention of the achievement is to play every day for twelve days and submit a different score. I guess it doesn't have to be a higher score very time. You should play for 12 days if you want to keep in the spirit of the challenge. Otherwise, the achievement becomes "how many people can click the upload button." ;)

-dZ.

No problem! I fully intend to play every day. I can hardly keep away from it! I decided I will try to post an improvement each time though. And if I don't beat my best score my plan is:

1. I'll report on my progress toward the Perfect Christmas & post the farthest I've made it with a perfect score. (by the way I realize now that the ghost steals your +5's when he takes back the gifts. so It is easy to see if one has a perfect score)

2. if I don't have any progress on that I'll post the best score I've gotten by the end of the following stage.

3. if I don't have that I'll post my progress achieving perfect scores in the practice mode

that should keep me busy.

Starting now! I don't have my pic with me because I can't always get to internet access with my pics, so I'm just going to do like I do in the 2600 HSC & post my score, and then just edit the pic in a bit later (usually the next day) Its the only way I can try for the 12 days of Christmas goal! I hope that's acceptable...

Finally, an improvement: 1313 (back soon with the pic)

(didn't save christmas though)

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 2

It may be a little frustrating to struggle with early levels again...

But I am finding new paths for some levels too! :thumbsup:

I didn't think I would change the way I played before. I hope I can find even more secrets...

BTW, did I told about the upper left prision in Icicle Lane? Not that Snowman won't ever escape, but he gets lost for a good time. :)

Did someone find this before?

"may be?" "a little?" :mad:

but you know you have a really good game when you have to relearn the easy parts every time you get better at the higher levels. Again, it feels like attacking arcade Donkey Kong high scores :-D

"Prison" I like that, I've been doing that too! I've been trapping him in a couple other places too.

Badass scores Lid! (I've come to expect that from you, but it still surprises me)

and (Uh oh) Gorfy's heating up...

I wonder, if Liduario made it to a kill screen but didn't surpass 20K, how will anyone make it to all those different colored roll-overs?

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 3

OK, I'm officially addicted to my first Intellivision game

New Score: 829 attachicon.gifshot0000.gif

Man, it really gets fast on level 11!

Wow! Your progress is impressive in just two days! Keep it up.

Stage 6 (Freezer Burn) is very fast, but it is not that hard, really. There's a trick to it. In any case, it slows down a bit after it, but it gets harder in other ways. :)

Don't forget to watch the cut-scenes at least once!

-dZ.

• Like 1

No problem! I fully intend to play every day. I can hardly keep away from it! I decided I will try to post an improvement each time though. And if I don't beat my best score my plan is:

1. I'll report on my progress toward the Perfect Christmas & post the farthest I've made it with a perfect score. (by the way I realize now that the ghost steals your +5's when he takes back the gifts. so It is easy to see if one has a perfect score)

2. if I don't have any progress on that I'll post the best score I've gotten by the end of the following stage.

3. if I don't have that I'll post my progress achieving perfect scores in the practice mode

that should keep me busy.

Starting now! I don't have my pic with me because I can't always get to internet access with my pics, so I'm just going to do like I do in the 2600 HSC & post my score, and then just edit the pic in a bit later (usually the next day) Its the only way I can try for the 12 days of Christmas goal! I hope that's acceptable...

Finally, an improvement: 1313

(didn't save christmas though)

Hmm... Well, seeing that it's for an achievement, which are only side challenges, I'll accept it. Try to put them up the same day, though.

However, for the challenge itself--as per the rules--entry submissions are the pictures themselves. So, if you have a higher score, I will only accept it when you post the photo. (The submission time is taken from the timestamp of the forum post, so the photo needs to be uploaded as a new post.)

I hope that's fair to everyone. :)

-dZ.

"may be?" "a little?" :mad:

but you know you have a really good game when you have to relearn the easy parts every time you get better at the higher levels. Again, it feels like attacking arcade Donkey Kong high scores :-D

"Prison" I like that, I've been doing that too! I've been trapping him in a couple other places too.

Badass scores Lid! (I've come to expect that from you, but it still surprises me)

and (Uh oh) Gorfy's heating up...

I wonder, if Liduario made it to a kill screen but didn't surpass 20K, how will anyone make it to all those different colored roll-overs?

There's an achievement called "To Kill A Mocking Ghost." You have to find out if there is a kill screen or not. ;)

However, that achievement can only be earned when playing the cartridge game, not the ROM.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Gorfy,

Just a clarification: A "Perfect Score" is when you finish a level having retrieved all presents, candy, and without losing a life during the level. When you do this, the game will display "PERFECT!" and give you a bonus, the amount of which depends on the stage. It starts at 10 points for the first two stages. This is called the "Perfect Level Bonus" in the manual.

To get the achievements related to "Perfect Level Bonus," you have to snap a photo of the "PERFECT!" message on the appropriate screen.

A "Perfect Christmas" is when you complete all stages and save Christmas, having achieved a perfect score on ALL 16 levels. This means you must eat all the candy and presents on every level, without losing a single life. A mean feat indeed, that only a rare few managed to do last year.

-dZ.

• Like 1

I watched my Perfect Christmas video and I trapped Snowman! I didn't remember the video showed that. I also picked the rest of presents paying attention to Snowman's movements to avoid letting him out.

Those videos are a great spoiler!!! They show the story and paths. I only recomend to watch after you had saved Christmas.

To watch them. Click in my game play videos link in my signature.

• Like 2

I watched my Perfect Christmas video and I trapped Snowman! I didn't remember the video showed that. I also picked the rest of presents paying attention to Snowman's movements to avoid letting him out.

Those videos are a great spoiler!!! They show the story and paths. I only recomend to watch after you had saved Christmas.

To watch them. Click in my game play videos link in my signature.

Liduario, thank you very much for posting the videos.

Just to be clear, watching the videos won't disqualify anybody, and they do offer some great tips. However, part of the fun of Christmas Carol is to figure out how to save Christmas on your own and to view the cut-scenes as you progress through the game to learn the story. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Welcome, catsfolly! It's great to see a BSR here! I'm honoured. :)

That's not a bad score, really. And with it, you've earned a few achievements (which, by the way, will be up soon along with the official leaderboard, for real. Soon. I swear).

dZ.

I'm totally new to Intellivision. Here's my first (very noobish ;) ) try:

attachicon.gifshot0006.gif

Cool, you're the blue ghost.

When I was thinking about Christmas Carol customization (it's the top prize of the contest! a custom game!), I imagined the blue ghost (ghost of the past) and a red one (ghost of the future).

I don't remember if I wrote that last year...

I was still dreamming about changes. Maybe the red ghost would kill you and the snowflake power would freeze the ghost...

I don't remember what I thought about the blue ghost... I have to check my old posts.

Anyway, I hope you keep enjoying the system!

• Like 1

Welcome, GimmeClassics! That's a perfectly respectable score--especially for a noob! :lol:

Don't worry, the game does get better and easier with practice, and even the veterans started with a score not much higher than yours. :)

Keep them coming, and check out the achievements page for extra challenges!

-dZ.

P.S. The leaderboard should be up soon... I promise!

Cool, you're the blue ghost.

When I was thinking about Christmas Carol customization (it's the top prize of the contest! a custom game!), I imagined the blue ghost (ghost of the past) and a red one (ghost of the future).

I don't remember if I wrote that last year...

I was still dreamming about changes. Maybe the red ghost would kill you and the snowflake power would freeze the ghost...

I don't remember what I thought about the blue ghost... I have to check my old posts.

Anyway, I hope you keep enjoying the system!

I remember that one of your ideas was to use the Jack-In-The-Box as a weapon to kill the Snowman! :lol:

• Like 1

The official Carol vs. The World! Championship leaderboard is up!

http://www.carolvsghost.com/cvw/2013/pg_leaderboard.html

Go check out your scores, marvel at your earned achievements, and brag to your friends and family!

Thank you all for participating, and I hope you enjoy our friendly competition. Keep those scores coming!

-dZ.

• Like 3