IGNORED

Second button?

Video

Ok, I know the 7800 controller has a second button. But what exactly is it used for?

What games use it? As far as I can tell, of the 20 7800 titles I have, the standard 2600 joystic will work fine. Understandable for ports of previously 2600 titles, like Joust and Ms Pac-Man.

The only game I've seen that I can't use the 2600 controller on is Karatica (sp?) The guy only walks forward and nothing else (indicateing, either the game is damaged, or there's a second type of 7800 controller I don't know about, seeing as I should be able to at the very least, walk back, punch, kick, jump, something)

I tried the thing here, but the listing here doesn't actually have readily available what games use the second button, or alternate controllers.

I'm wanting a list of games that uses the second fire button, any help would be appreciated.

Oh, here's a real kicker. I know it's unlikely, but possible for later games. Are there any 2600 titles that utilize the second button on the 7800 if it's plugged into it?

That's probably about it. Unfortunately, I have no 7800 controllers, that I can locate.

Ok, I know the 7800 controller has a second button.  But what exactly is it used for?  

What games use it?  As far as I can tell, of the 20 7800 titles I have, the standard 2600 joystic will work fine.  Understandable for ports of previously 2600 titles, like Joust and Ms Pac-Man.

The only game I've seen that I can't use the 2600 controller on is Karatica (sp?)  The guy only walks forward and nothing else (indicateing, either the game is damaged, or there's a second type of 7800 controller I don't know about, seeing as I should be able to at the very least, walk back, punch, kick, jump, something)

I tried the thing here, but the listing here doesn't actually have readily available what games use the second button, or alternate controllers.

I'm wanting a list of games that uses the second fire button, any help would be appreciated.

Oh, here's a real kicker.  I know it's unlikely, but possible for later games.  Are there any 2600 titles that utilize the second button on the 7800 if it's plugged into it?

That's probably about it.  Unfortunately, I have no 7800 controllers, that I can locate.

the second button on the 7800 controller is utilzed in many games for the 7800:

Pole Position 2 as a break

I also think it's used in xemophobe to toss the hand grenade.

I think there are more but thats basiclly what I know.

Dan Iacovelli

Asteroids Need the Second Button, which is the only 7800 Game I own (Built in to My PAL 7800). I also know that the pause button is the equvalent 2600 B&W button.

Actually, Asteroids can work with or without it. If you plug in a 2600 joystick, down = hyperspace. With a 7800 joystick, down does nothing and the second button = hyperspace.

Xevious works with both types as well. With a 2600 joystick, the button both fires missiles and drops bombs. With a 7800 joystick, the two are on separate buttons.

Harry

This game is a classic and i can recommend it to anyone with a two button joypad.... second button throws the grenades....I always wanted to play this game and now i have. It is a sort of superior version of commando that has had me on the edge of my seat for at least a week. Death to anyone who does not look like Rambo!

Wait a minute!! I just played Xevious on my 7800 and the 2nd button does the same thing as the first button!!!! It fires AND drops bombs!!

Is something wrong with my setup???? Some option I'm missing..

I have the Joypads....

desiv

(Off to play Xevious again to check.. Did I just get it horribly wrong...)

--Update--

Just checked again, Xevious button 1 does the same thing as button 2, and it says so in the manual..

Wait a minute!!  I just played Xevious on my 7800 and the 2nd button does the same thing as the first button!!!!  It fires AND drops bombs!!

Is something wrong with my setup????  Some option I'm missing..

I have the Joypads....

desiv

(Off to play Xevious again to check..  Did I just get it horribly wrong...)

--Update--

Just checked again, Xevious button 1 does the same thing as button 2, and it says so in the manual..

NO- Flip the difficulty switch next to the controller jack- one button is supposed to drop bombs and the other button is used to fire in the normal setting. BTW, you can use a 2600 controller, but then the button drops bombs and fires simultaneously.

I can play Jinks ok without a special controller. You just have to lift the paddle and drop it on the ball in order to change it's direction or angle.

So far, I get that pretty much any game can work with a standard 2600 controller, with some functions done differently if you use a 7800 controller.

I liked Rambo on NES OK... I didn't know it was out on the 7800, I'll definately look for it.

Well, thanks. I just bought some pads and sticks for 7800 off Ebay, Maybe I'll get to play with them soon. :D