IGNORED

An ultra-rare NUON Enhanced DVD Player (aka JAGUAR 3) for Christmas?

QLvsJAGUAR

Hi folks,

in late 2001, early 2002 SAMSUNG used Switzerland as a test market for the ARIES3 based N504 NUON Enhanced DVD Player. This is the more developed PAL/Region2/230V version of the much more common N501 NTSC/Region1/110V unit which was sold in the US. The front panel looks like the N501 (having two controller ports), the back panel has SCART (AV), Analog Audio L/R, Video Out, S-Video Out, Digital Audio Out Optical and Digital Audio Out Coaxial.

As I’m Swiss, a JAGUAR/NUON enthusiast since day one and a collector I came across quite a few of those beasts over the last decade. Analysing the serial numbers off all units I’ve seen so far I estimate that only about 1500 units were made and sold. They are ultra-rare!

On my old school JAGUAR/NUON webpage are 3 easter-eggs (hidden links). Two of them show my stockpile of N504 units. Explore even if you can’t read/understand the German. Here’s the link:
http://www.qlvsjaguar.homepage.bluewin.ch/Jaguar.html

I regularly take one of my spares to the E-JAGFEST where we enjoy playing Tempest 3000, Iron Soldier 3, Merlin Racing and other games. This year I was asked by some friends if I could sell my spares. I’ve made my mind and decided that it’s time to let them go. Two are already gone to German JAGUAR community friends. Currently I have two spare units (player, remote control) left. Both are fully functional and in great optical condition. Both units have been codefree enabled and now play both region 2 and 1 DVDs. Here are two pictures of those systems:
http://sdrv.ms/1cYfo4v

I don’t want to list the remaining units in ebay (fees and hassle) but would accept enquiries from community members by PM. Based on the number and type of enquiries I will then make an offer.

Make yourself a present and get one of those ultra-rare gems. Great for both collectors and gamers. Once those are gone it is very unlikely any more coming to surface.

Cheers, Urs

Got myself a N505 will try to get a N504 but not at insane prices.... maybe I can find a broken one, I only need the case because that version had joyports connectors on it...

The two units I have for sale are in far too good condition to take them apart. ;-)

I assume not many JAGUAR/NUON enthusiasts have ever seen the ARIES3 chip or the motherboard of the N504. I did not found good pictures on the internet of N50x series internals (chipset, pcb, controller ports), so I made a few. See: http://sdrv.ms/1kkaj9v

Hey Urs,

sorry for the confusion, your page I could access fine, I was referring to the youtube video above my post with Martin Brennan(?).

My reply (using quotes) was to Zerosquare's earlier post (he was unable to access my pictures). Confusion caused by timing of my reply?

About the video which guSTaw posted, I very much like the video message of JAGUAR's chip designer John Mathieson and the audio message of Leonard Tramiel's wife. Great stuff!

My reply (using quotes) was to Zerosquare's earlier post (he was unable to access my pictures). Confusion caused by timing of my reply?

About the video which guSTaw posted, I very much like the video message of JAGUAR's chip designer John Mathieson and the audio message of Leonard Tramiel's wife. Great stuff!

Hehe confusion caused by me not reading who you were quoting actually. I assumed it would be me. ;-)

I assume not many JAGUAR/NUON enthusiasts have ever seen the ARIES3 chip or the motherboard of the SAMSUNG DVD-N504 NUON Enhanced DVD Player. Here's a video where I show the internals and tell part of the NUON story.

NUON Enhanced DVD Players - Part 1: N504 Internals & Story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBJTAKYR-FI

Even I'm not fully happy with the way I speak, I think the video is informal.

• 3 months later...

Very interesting topic and I'm glad some of you go out of your way to keep record of this stuff.

Is there a site out there that has listed every NUON game .ISO? I don't own a NUON personally, but I was just curious since I feel this obscure stuff should be readily available for all to use. Video games as an art form and all that.

• 4 months later...

Bump. Just wondering if QLvsJAGUAR (or anyone else) has any of the N504s still for sale. I recently missed one on ebay (simply due to forgetting about the auction and not getting to email watch reminders in time) and am kicking myself. I'm kind of irrationally wanting this model, despite already having an N501.

Bitching ahead... skip it if you don't want to waste your time...lol

...start rant....

Well, I decided to take the NUON N501 plunge and bid recently on prolly the NUON system you are talking about there skippy,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251606862220?_trksid=p2059210.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And if this is the one your talking about, kick yourself no more bro, be glad your forgot about it as I got fucked over by,... it looks like USPS,.. but the stoopid seller didn't even get a damn tracking number for me and it's now "lost" in the mail or this ebay seller "asher 2099/ Memoryofchristy" guy decided to keep it and never mailed it out or shoddily put on the label - maybe it fell off IDK. It's been a few weeks since he said he mailed it out and nothing yet. He already refunded me tho. What sucks is I bought all the games for it I could find (doubles on T3K) as well as two extra new controllers and all the NUON enhanced dvds and a extra N501 remote I found on ebay too lol. Now I got a bunch of Nuon shit I can't use. Now he said he has a Samsung N2000 unit also that he was going to list yesterday and give me a heads up on so I can jump on it, but he never did although the N2000 is generally less desirable: Because it has less VLM2 light show effects(Jeff Minter-programmer), it's non-firmware updateable- to be able to make it do more, doesn't like music cd-rs, and won't play burned homebrew games, etc. according to Nuon-dome. But the N2000 has twice the VLM2 resolution as the N501 but only 100 effects compared to the N501's 150+ effects. So, unfortunately this N501 is """""lost"""" in the mail, why does all the rare - good stuff get lost or prolly stolen in the mail?

I needed an original pre-1961 Volkswagen Beetle front hood to go on my 1956 Oval Window VW beetle restoration car I have and I found a beautiful rust/dent free one on the east coast - was too big for UPS or USPS so only alternatives I had was BNSF freight (trains) or Greyhound freight and the seller wanted to use Greyhound so I went with that and he took it down to the Greyhound place near him sent me pictures of it all wrapped up and ready to go in the lobby he sent me a copy of the shipping papers and wuddya know.... - Greyhound lost that as well it cost me like $400+ dollars or something and I had to fight with greyhound for months to get my money back on that one. What does shit just drop off the USPS trucks or Greyhound Buses lol - no it fucking gets stolen lol, and scavenged up by dick resellers. So I ended up having to go with a rusted out dented up correct year hood for my car it's going to need a lot of bondo/welding to get it functional.

.....end rant.....

:/

Edited by ovalbugmann

Actually my ONLY loss in dealing with paypal was an auction where I bought Tetris (extremely rare) and Iron Solider 3 (also rare) for the Nuon.

The package was lost in the mail. Mail carrier said he dropped it by but unfortunately for him I was sick that day (and would have been there) and called him on his lie. Post office made him pay me back out of his own pocket.

But I still don't have Tetris for the Nuon. :/

Edited by doctorclu