IGNORED

A newbies thoughts on games

forgotten_grove

Hi all!

I've finally taken the plunge into the world of the 2600! Been rummaging through the net and I've made a little list of games im going to collect, does anyone have any input or suggestions? Not too worried about genre, just after a bit of guidance about which classics to get for fun - i know there's a fair bit of stuff to steer clear of out there.

I have a great love of retro gaming, that I've managed to inflict on our two ten year old boys who love playing on the c64 and Electron; we always search for multi players games and i understand the 2600 has plenty of those! I was born in '74 so im not sure how I've gone without an Atari for so long but better late than never ;)

Anyhoo, here's my list. I appreciate they aren't all multiplayers, but there's some on there for me too :D

Any suggestions muchly appreciated!

Combat

Video Olympics

Warlords

Solaris

Frostbite

Berzerk

Pitfall II

H.E.R.O.

Montezuma's Revenge

Ms. Pacman

Haunted House

and, my favourite that i cant wait to try on the 2600, Wizard of Wor!

• Like 1

Activision's Ice Hockey is a great multiplayer game. If you have robust joysticks and wrists then try Decathlon.

Also some homebrews allow multiplayer action, like Medieval Mayhem.

Thank you for the suggestions! The homebrews sound good; i was hoping there would be some for the 2600! Is this forum the best place for me to catch up on the homebrew scene?

Also you can download the ROMs of most homebrews here. (select Homebrew in Rarity)

Its a good plan!

I should do this in general and try a few games out in an emulator before i buy an actual cart i guess, i just like the nostalgia value of taking a chance on a cart like we did on games bitd

I noticed you have Mrs. Pac-Man and Berzerk! on your list. You might want to check out the AtariAge store for Pac-Man 4K and Berzerk! Voice enhanced. I'm pretty pleased with both purchases.

If you get a set of paddles for Warlords, then I also suggest Super Breakout.

Edited by sega_SHARK
  • Like 1

I noticed you have Mrs. Pac-Man and Berzerk! on your list. You might want to check out the AtariAge store for Pac-Man 4K and Berzerk! Voice enhanced. I'm pretty pleased with both purchases.

If you get a set of paddles for Warlords, then I also suggest Super Breakout.

That's not a bad plan; i will check the store. There's a set of paddles coming with the bundle so i will have a gander at Super Breakout ;)

There are some games coming in the bundle but I cant tell what some of them are from the image - it'll be a nice suprise! btw, was there a Breakout as well as a Super Breakout?

When I was a kid, all my cousins and friends were getting Atari 2600 Jr's with a small bundle of games from local garage sales. When I was over their houses to play them, Activision games stood out the most, like Boxing, Grand Prix, Plaque Attack, Pitfall!, and Double Dragon. Other multiplayer games like California Games and Mario Bros. were really fun too.

• Like 1