IGNORED

Price of an Atari 5200

Atari2008

Hey everyone,

I'm sort of thinking of maybe getting an Atari 5200. I'm not at the stage where I'm asking for offers, but I just want to get my feet wet and see how much it would cost. I know that finding working controllers is an issue so I wanted to know how much would it cost for an Atari 5200 console (either 4 port or 2 port) without the box, with 1-2 working controllers and of course the RF cable and power supply. I know of a store that sells an Atari 5200 system with 2 rebuilt controllers for $150...is this a good deal? Also, where should I look? I know eBay can be a bit of a gamble especially with the controllers most likely not working and sellers not willing to test. I'm thinking the Marketplace here at Atari Age is my best bet? Thanks!

To get the most enjoyment out of a 5200 system I would advise you to have several different controllers on hand. You can rebuild a set of 5200 controllers fairly cheaply and it's pretty easy, you might even find it to be fun.

- Don't spend more than $50-75 for a tested working and complete, unboxed system ($100 and up is standard for a boxed system) Ebay is fine, you shouldn't have any worries just read the description, look at the pics and ask questions, paypal will back you up if something is funky when it arrives even if it's sold as-is.

- I would stick to the 2 port version for various reasons.

- The RF cable is attached to the system so if one isn't present don't purchase.

I recommend the following for the best 5200 set up:

- Atarimax 5200 sd multicart: http://www.atarimax.com/5200sd/documentation/ ($140)

- Fully working 5200 stock sticks: check http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/)

- Coin Controls Comp. Pro Joystick (digital stick, for most arcade style games ie. Pac Man, DonkeyKong ect.) (ebay $50 each)

- Wico Command Control Joystick for 5200, make sure you get the "y" connector too, without the "y" you can't attach a 5200 stick or keypad to start games. (analog stick, for games that require analog controls i.e. Missile Command and several others. (Ebay $50 each)

- Masterplay Joystick interface for 5200 (this allows you to use any of your favorite 2600/7800 sticks on your 5200) (ebay $100+)

This system is a lot of fun and if you stick with it and learn from it you will get to know all the little things that make it a pain for some to own and a joy to own for others.

• Like 2

Stay away from rebuilt controllers . They just clean them and soon enough you have the same issue

Let's clarify this a bit, because it's inevitable that any 5200 joysticks you can get at this point will have been rebuilt by somebody (and if they haven't, they probably won't work anyway, since those joysticks were bad out of the box).

Whether a rebuilt controller is a good idea or not depends on who rebuilt it. Controllers "refurbished" by the average eBay seller who knows just enough to do a quick Windex job on them, and maybe apply cheapie aluminum dots to the contacts? Yes, you should certainly stay away from those controllers. However, I own four refurbished 5200 joysticks from Best Electronics, and from my own experience, I can attest that they are of the utmost quality. Here is his Web page about them (I know, it will make your eyes bleed, but there's lots of good information there). Brad actually went to the trouble of designing and manufacturing fresh rubber buttons with gold contacts, and it really makes a difference compared to the feel and functionality of Atari's originals. True enough, Brad's controllers are more expensive, but if you're serious about the 5200, they're worth it.

The 5200 is a nice system, but unfortunately it's also a difficult one to get started with. The barriers to entry are steeper than for most other 8-bit systems. If you're lucky, you can find a working console that is in good cosmetic shape for a reasonable price. That's only the first obstacle, however: if you really want to get the most out of it, you need to get some good controllers (Best is the way to go for first-party joysticks, in my opinion), and then you'll probably need to calibrate the console as well (see here). To get something better than stock RF output, you'll need to install an A/V mod which outputs to composite video or S-Video, and you'll also want a power mod if you get a four-port model, to get rid of that funky RF switchbox (see here). Finally, you'll need access to all the games, so you'll want to add a good multi-cart, like the AtariMax Ultimate SD cartridge that the previous poster linked to.

I did all of the above with my four-port 5200, and I'm very pleased with the results, but it's not something I'd necessarily recommend to someone who only wants to play the games. You can play most of them on the 800-series computers, after all.

Trak-ball. Every 5200 owner must have a Trak-Ball.

Well, not really. But they're pretty awesome controllers.

Yes! Not only are they the best controllers ever made for the 5200, they're also the best trackballs ever created for any home console! They're light years ahead of the 5200 joysticks in overall quality, that's for sure.

• Like 1

The 5200 sounds like a fun machine. Sounds like a bit of work to get into and maintain, but from what I've seen from playing an emulator, they do seem like a lot of fun! I'm thinking a 2-port version is best since I won't have to deal with the switchbox? Also thank you for the tip on the SD Multi-Cart, will be a good way to play all the titles including the super rare ones like Bounty Bob Strikes back. The Coins Control Comp Pro joystick looks awesome! I'm interested in a Masterplay Interface as I'd like to be able to use Genesis controllers on a 5200 but they go for $125 on eBay so I'll have to wait on that. I'm not very tech savvy so I doubt I'll ever AV modify it although I may attempt a controller rebuild. Does Best Electronics sell 5200 consoles? And yes their site is quite an eyesore. :) I'll keep a trackball in mind, I've actually never owned a trackball controller for any system, so that'll be fun.

The 5200 I was looking at is from Atari Sales, all the way at the bottom of the page:

http://members.tcq.net/video61/5200new.html

I thought the price was steep but since the controllers are guaranteed to work, I thought it might be cheaper then getting a system off eBay and then having to either replace the controllers are buy new internals from Best. Although I like the idea of only paying $50-$75 on a console vs. $150.

Currently I have a 2600 that I'm a big fan of so I thought the 5200 might be a nice step up.

The 5200 sounds like a fun machine. Sounds like a bit of work to get into and maintain, but from what I've seen from playing an emulator, they do seem like a lot of fun! I'm thinking a 2-port version is best since I won't have to deal with the switchbox? Also thank you for the tip on the SD Multi-Cart, will be a good way to play all the titles including the super rare ones like Bounty Bob Strikes back. The Coins Control Comp Pro joystick looks awesome! I'm interested in a Masterplay Interface as I'd like to be able to use Genesis controllers on a 5200 but they go for $125 on eBay so I'll have to wait on that. I'm not very tech savvy so I doubt I'll ever AV modify it although I may attempt a controller rebuild. Does Best Electronics sell 5200 consoles? And yes their site is quite an eyesore. :) I'll keep a trackball in mind, I've actually never owned a trackball controller for any system, so that'll be fun.

The 5200 I was looking at is from Atari Sales, all the way at the bottom of the page:

http://members.tcq.net/video61/5200new.html

I thought the price was steep but since the controllers are guaranteed to work, I thought it might be cheaper then getting a system off eBay and then having to either replace the controllers are buy new internals from Best. Although I like the idea of only paying $50-$75 on a console vs. $150.

Currently I have a 2600 that I'm a big fan of so I thought the 5200 might be a nice step up.

Not trying to talk you out of a 5200 but a 7800 or evan an 8-bit system like an xe or xl would be great alternatives if you don't want to mess around with the learning curve of the 5200. Only problem is finding a multi cart for 7800, many of us are waiting patiently for the harmony 2 multicart for the 7800. I did hear some encouraging things from the developer last week though, looks like things are moving forward and a 2014 release looks promising... we shall see!

Do you have a 2600 multi cart? The Harmony 1 is a great 2600 multi cart that can be had for under a hundred bucks and the romset is easy to find. http://harmony.atariage.com/

Yes! Not only are they the best controllers ever made for the 5200, they're also the best trackballs ever created for any home console! They're light years ahead of the 5200 joysticks in overall quality, that's for sure.

Yep. Totally arcade quality. I wish they'd done the same for the original controllers.

As for the larger issue of getting a 5200, while it is one of my favorite systems, I see it as being like owning one of the sports cars that are famous for spending more time in the shop than on the road. I ended up buying a diagnostic cart and controller jumpers so I could tune mine up, in addition to buying the Best Electronics Gold joysticks. And I still have to occasionally fiddle with the controller pot to make it work right for some games when I play them.

But, even though I have an extensive collection of 400/800 games, I still find the 5200 well worth owning, It's just a really fun system, and some of the games made for it are really well done...better than on the A8 in some cases. Star Raiders, in particular, is best played on the 5200 because it is bug fixed and tweaked to play a little better, plus you have all the controls right in your hand.

If you click on the link in my signature, you'll get to my blog. I wrote an article last year on buying and selling a 5200 that will answer many of your questions. Scroll down a bit, and you should see it.

Thank you boxpressed, I found your article to be a very good read! I have a better sense of what's entailed in owning a 5200. Also the link to Atarimania is awesome, I'm enjoying looking at the old ads and commercials. Also, I liked reading about the alternative controllers, since I think I will ultimately go down that road if I get a 5200.

As far as getting a 7800 instead, I know that they are more practical, lower maintenance and more within my price range, but I used to own a 7800, and I didn't like it much. Not that it's a bad system, just not my cup of tea. I like the sound of 5200 games better, and while it is graphically inferior to the 7800, I do find its colors to be more vibrant and those of 7800 games to be more washed out. Also the 5200 has nice versions of Defender, Popeye and Frogger 2 which the 7800 doesn't. I also see more games overall in the 5200's library that I want to play than on the 7800.

I've never considered the Atari 8-bit computers since I solely focus on consoles and am possibly looking for another game system, but I know that game systems are essentially just simplified computers. So perhaps I have no rational reason for wanting a 5200. :) I do understand that while most games are identical some are different. Pac-Man on the 5200 has intermissions while the 8-Bit doesn't, also I believe the 5200 Pac-Man is faster. Mario Bros. looks different in both systems.

I noticed there aren't as many homebrews for the 5200 as say the 2600 or even 7800, but Adventure II, Beef Drop, Koffi and Tempest all look like fun titles. Also the Multi-Cart seems like a good investment.

I don't have a Harmony for the 2600, but I just clicked on the link and I'm pleasantly surprised by how inexpensive they are. :)

​The XE GS is a dedicated 8-bit Game System based on the 5200 architecture.

I think you mean it's based on Atari 8-bit computer architecture. It's just A8 in a different package, whereas the 5200 has a very different OS ROM and of course the different controller ports.

"I've never considered the Atari 8-bit computers since I solely focus on consoles and am possibly looking for another game system"

​The XE GS is a dedicated 8-bit Game System based on the 5200 architecture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_XEGS

Thanks for the link. The XEGS does seem interesting, although I must admit it's quite the ugly looking console. :) But I can see the benefits since it uses regular 2600 or compatible controllers. So aside from a few titles that are different between the 8-bit and 5200, I wouldn't be missing much by going the 8-bit route vs. the 5200 route? Seems it boils down to personal preference for most people. I'm not handy fixing electronics so I probably wouldn't be able to do the handiwork required to keep a 5200 running optimally.

The 8-bit line versus the 5200 is one of the enduring debates on Atari Age, and the discussions can get pretty heated. I would say that you can get about 90% of the functionality of the 5200 from an 8-bit (I would recommend the 800XL). You miss out on two action-button games (not many, but enough to matter--Defender, Moon Patrol, Qix, and more) as well as those that make good use of the keypad (Star Raiders). Plus the games that make great use of the Trak-Ball (Centipede, Missile Command, and even Galaxian). Space Invaders and Centipede (and probably more) are improved versions of their 8-bit counterparts. For me, the analog sticks plus coupler along with Robotron and Space Dungeon make the 5200 worth owning all by themselves.

On the other hand, you will have access to hundreds if not thousands of other games on your 8-bit if you decide to invest in an Atarimax programmer and flashcart (or SIO2PC solution) for your 8-bit. I have the Atarimax, and it is a great product. As you know, you can also buy an Atarimax flashcart for your 5200, and many (but certainly not all) 8-bit games have been converted to 5200-compatible ROMs. Also, you can get composite video out of an 800XL with a $15 cable, whereas you're stuck with RF on the 5200 unless you want to mod it.

I like the analogy to the 5200 being like a fancy sports car that will require a little initial tinkering and some maintenance. The 800XL is like the Honda minivan. Speaking for myself, I'd want to own both.

• Like 3

I think you mean it's based on Atari 8-bit computer architecture. It's just A8 in a different package, whereas the 5200 has a very different OS ROM and of course the different controller ports.

yes, thank you for the clarification, I just wanted to make the point that there was an 8bit system other than the 5200 marketed by Atari as a dedicated game system and not a "home computer"

*Atari2008, I am completely confident that someone who is somewhat passionate about retro gaming and someone who has enough knowledge to run rom emulators such as yourself would have absolutely no problem keeping a 5200 running smoothly. I say go for the 5200 and a few controller options and you will be really happy! I just wanted to point out that there were other options not sway you one way or another. I have a 2600, 7800, 5200 and an 800XL (all with multi carts) and the 5200 gets most of the game play because of the amazing game library, versatility and ease of use.

Edited by myklejay
  • Like 2

Thanks for the link. The XEGS does seem interesting, although I must admit it's quite the ugly looking console. :) But I can see the benefits since it uses regular 2600 or compatible controllers. So aside from a few titles that are different between the 8-bit and 5200, I wouldn't be missing much by going the 8-bit route vs. the 5200 route? Seems it boils down to personal preference for most people. I'm not handy fixing electronics so I probably wouldn't be able to do the handiwork required to keep a 5200 running optimally.

Honestly I think that the XEGS is a good decade ahead in terms of industrial design, I'm sure it's an acquired taste for some but Atari was obviously taking a chance and pushing the boundaries, I thinks it's a sweet looking system that begs to be played!

• Like 1

yes, thank you for the clarification, I just wanted to make the point that there was an 8bit system other than the 5200 marketed by Atari as a dedicated game system and not a "home computer"

*Atari2008, I am completely confident that someone who is somewhat passionate about retro gaming and someone who has enough knowledge to run rom emulators such as yourself would have absolutely no problem keeping a 5200 running smoothly. I say go for the 5200 and a few controller options and you will be really happy! I just wanted to point out that there were other options not sway you one way or another. I have a 2600, 7800, 5200 and an 800XL (all with multi carts) and the 5200 gets most of the game play because of the amazing game library, versatility and ease of use.

Don't worry you didn't discourage me from a 5200 at all. :) It's actually been interesting to learn of the other Atari 8-bit options, and gives me ideas for other Atari systems and computers I may want to collect down the line. Currently I own a 2600, Odyssey2, and Channel F...the 2600 gets the most play. I had a 7800 back in the day when I was a teen, and I loved it then but as I got older my interest in that particular console faded, and I sold it. The 2600 I've always kept and love playing till this very day. Hence why I'm here. :) The 5200 just seems intriguing in ways that probably aren't very rational, but I like the look of the console, even though it's big, I think it has a nice sleek look. The controllers although I understand them to be a double edged sword, look plain awesome. Also from what I've seen on YouTube vids and in emulation, I like the graphics, bright colors and awesome audio. I love the Atari logo welcome screen with the rainbow colors raining down. The library also seems like fun versions of classic 80s games that I love but never had the privilege of playing at an arcade - Popeye, Frogger, Mario Bros., Pole Position, Defender, and I could go on for a while. I also like how they updated Space Invaders. I feel the 5200 would be a nice compliment to my 2600, like kicking those titles up a notch. I know it will be a bit more work, I don't have to do anything with my 2600 it's built like a tank and just works, but I know the 5200 needs upkeep. But it might be a fun part of the hobby for me to get into.

I'll see...I suspect the cost is what will keep me waiting for a bit but the 5200 does seem like a cool machine.

@boxpressed: Thank you! I've seen various threads with the 5200 vs. the 8-bit computers so I appreciate your summary. From your assessment, I feel the 5200 would be worthwhile for me.

• Like 2

The Atari 5200 is weird and quirky, but that's part of its charm. I'd compare it to the Sega Saturn in that respect. It's a real underground system, man.

You should be able to get a 5200 for a lot cheaper than $150. Screw the stock controllers; they ain't worth a plug nickel. Replace them with either a PC gameport adapter and a SuperPad/MakoPad or a Wico Command Controller, one of the BEST joysticks ever released for a game system. (You will need a stock controller to select options, but don't use it to actually play games, unless you hate yourself that much.)

It's been a while since I've played mine, so I can't remember which games I'd recommend off the top of my head. Wizard of Wor and Moon Patrol are musts, though, I know that much. Robotron: 2084 is fantastic too, but only if you've got two (good) joysticks for it. Defender, Donkey Kong (an XE port), The Dreadnaught Factor, Gyruss (screw the haters), Mountain King, Qix, and Adventure II all guarantee a good time.

I use both. I run a 600xl and a 4 port 5200 system. I actually like the original 5200 sticks and use them every week. About once a year or two, I have to clean the contacts on the circuit and buttons. No rebuilds thus far. :)

The Atari 5200 is weird and quirky, but that's part of its charm. I'd compare it to the Sega Saturn in that respect. It's a real underground system, man.

You should be able to get a 5200 for a lot cheaper than $150. Screw the stock controllers; they ain't worth a plug nickel. Replace them with either a PC gameport adapter and a SuperPad/MakoPad or a Wico Command Controller, one of the BEST joysticks ever released for a game system. (You will need a stock controller to select options, but don't use it to actually play games, unless you hate yourself that much.)

It's been a while since I've played mine, so I can't remember which games I'd recommend off the top of my head. Wizard of Wor and Moon Patrol are musts, though, I know that much. Robotron: 2084 is fantastic too, but only if you've got two (good) joysticks for it. Defender, Donkey Kong (an XE port), The Dreadnaught Factor, Gyruss (screw the haters), Mountain King, Qix, and Adventure II all guarantee a good time.

I think that's one of the things I like about the 5200 which is why I'm leaning over getting one (and all that entails) over the 8-bit computers or XEGS - I like the weirdness and quirkiness of it. To me it adds to the fun and makes it more interesting. I like the description of it as an underground system. Most people know the 2600 and even the 7800 but few people know the 5200. At least among more casual gamers.

Glad I can get it for a lot less than $150 because that just seemed too steep a price of admission! The Wico Command Controller looks awesome!! Looks like a very sturdy, arcade quality controller. I just wanted at least one working stock stick initially so I can play games but ultimately I want to get something like the Masterplay Interface so I can use whatever 2600 compatible controller. And no I don't hate myself that much. ;)

I saw the Donkey Kong port! It would definitely be on my list. I'll look into Gyruss, does seem like a game that gets hated on but it looks fun to me.

@zylon: sounds like you're getting the best of both worlds! :-D

The 5200 is an amazing console. It can cost a lot in the long run, but you can get things one item at a time.

Get a console and a few games, fix up the stock controllers. You can get by with that for a while..

Add a SD cart from Atarimax, Wico stick / Y adapter... Keep an eye out for a masterplay interface.

Maybe an A/V mod.

The A8 computers are cool too, and you can easily play its whole library for the cost of a sio2pc-usb type adapter and ASPEQT software on the computer.

Or sio2sd.

The 5200 though just seems so much cooler to play on. The quirky analog controllers are very original and not as bad as people make them out to be.

You also have the options listed above, like the analog Wico sticks. The 5200 trak-ball controller is great.

All the a8 conversions make it even better. Being able to play those games on 5200 is great.

BTW- Anyone else see the prices of the Masterplay on ebay? The prices are almost double what I thought they normally go for!