IGNORED

how much would it cost to get every Videogame console and every game?

DISCLAIMER:I am not doing this now, i will only attempt this when and if i win the lottery

So In the future If I win the lottery and win around 3-4 million(doubt it but one can wish can't he) I would try to accomplish this goal and make a museum out of it for preservation sake and so people can read about where Video games came from(also a slight case of bragging will be in there but very slight :-D ).How much would all of this cost.I'm talking about EVERY videogame console and handheld boxed with EVERY color,box set(like the Nes box sets) regional console(Famicom,Mega Drive,Nintendo Iqque etc)with a complete WORLDWIDE collection boxed and/or complete(except for the modern systems as I have no intrest for collecting them) unless it never came boxed/complete(like Nintendo World Championships or Nintendo Campus Challenge).I'd say around 25-30K for all the boxed handhelds and systems(this adds up as systems like the AdventureVision,Famicom Titler,RDI Halcyon,are all 1K and over systems) and the games I'd say, 300K, 500K being the max(Nintendo World Championships,Nintendo Campus Challenge,and Air Raid already brings the total to around 90-100K).So how much would you say all of this would cost?.

Edited by xDragonWarrior

Is it even possible?

Just one lil example; the French edition of the Magnavox Odyssey is know to have existed. Only one loose model have surfaced so far.

If you want to have all of them, well I would say that you're screwed. It's likely that some odd models are so rare that they are simply destroyed by now.

It also depends on what you count on the variants. Does Euro variants count, or just one, multilingual release is enough?

Also, do you count the max price? I mean something like buying a NTSC Atari 2600 for an Euro gamer is an automatic look for eBay. So you're in for a minimum of 20 us$ plus shipping. For an US retrogamer, with enough luck and search, a 5$ banknote will be enough.

Anyway, the number of platform variants and of games is so ginormous... I can't even get a rough idea of the cost :P

• Like 1

There's this French guy on DP, who collects all Japanese releases, if possible sealed. Check it out under Room of Doom, Adol's Collection.

He's got complete Famicom disks, Game Cube, Saturn, Neo Geo, N64, Game Gear, Super Famicom, almost complete Famicom (700 out of 1100), etc....

Further he's got complete SMS (incl Brasil and Euro), Jaguar and much more...

Edited by high voltage

I don't think its possible. When something is super rare or one of a kind the person that owns it may not part for it for all the money in the world. A few years ago I went to an old farmers place to look at his antique collection. His collection was 6 qunsets full of stuff. It had been roughly appraised at 7-8 million dollars. He lived way out in the middle of nowhere and he refused to sell any of it.

Even with an unlimited amount of money, it's a long shot from being possible. One of every console EVER made in the entire world? It would be hard enough just to get the ones people actually know about, let alone all the clones and pirates and generally hyper-obscure (though often mundane) systems you've never even heard of...and there are plenty of those, I promise. You wouldn't even make it past the Pong systems.

It's Over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, yeah the best thing to do is take pointers from Adol (That French guy on DP) and make sure you pay the least you can for everything. You can always try but you're going to have to collect for a specific list of systems - the ones people know about. Then do research and discover the unknowns last. You might not be able to get 100% everything but you can always shoot for having the largest collection in the world. With millions of dollars you could always knock out all the regular retail stuff for every system, then worry about those big dog protos and ultra rarities last if you even have any money left.

Start last gen and work your way backward too. Get all the super easy stuff out of the way because they're all a click away.

Edited by TheGameCollector

Even with an unlimited amount of money, it's a long shot from being possible. One of every console EVER made in the entire world? It would be hard enough just to get the ones people actually know about, let alone all the clones and pirates and generally hyper-obscure (though often mundane) systems you've never even heard of...and there are plenty of those, I promise. You wouldn't even make it past the Pong systems.

I wouldn't do clones or pirates, just the original console.I would also only have 1 or 2(for historical purposes) Pongs as they don't interest me at all but they are a part of the Videogame industry.

Check out ccatylst's thread in the "Show Us Your Collection" forum here on AtariAge to get an incredible idea of what it will take to collect just the systems. Considering all the games for each system, I would say that would be an impossibility unless you were collecting all this stuff for a couple decades especially considering how much competition there is for this retro gear.

Also look up AtariAge member swolvinst for another incredible collection and then do some research on the Classic Gaming Expo three-headed monster of Sean Kelly, John Henry and Joe Santulli to get an idea of just how much stuff we would be talking about, how long it would take to even get a semblance of these collections and most importantly... how much money would have to be invested because this retro gear isn't just being given away anymore.

I've been hunting for 4 ColecoVision CIBs for years now to no avail and I only collect for the ColecoVision... emulation is good enough for everything else.