IGNORED

Power Mod service is tested and ready!

Yurkie

Parts are more expensive than first planned. I am going to offer this mod for $55...however if I can get 10 people that want to pre-order this mod and help me get stocked up on parts they will get it for $49 and save $6.

Here is the details:

Single female panel mount jack that take a 5.5mm 2.1mm male barrel plug.

12volt power supply is plugged into grounded receptacle and the barrel plug is inserted into the jack on the back of the console. -5 volt and +5 volt are an internal mod.

Adapter cord length is 6' for AC cord and 4' for the DC cord that plugs into the jack. Pics coming up in the next post.

Edited by Yurkie

I have a very limited amount of these available around 4. Parts for more of these mods are on back order until sometime in Feb. $49 payment in advance if you want this mod now. Regular price will be $55 requested when your console is ready to return ship.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a vendor offering industrial power supplies with the required 3 voltages for about 20 dollars. I use them for my power mods since years. Another method is ti buy a 12 v power supply exzernal and add two small power regulators for 4 dollar each to the internal plug. It requires only a few cabling and works quite stable. Used that kind of mod in case the other power supplies are out of stock. The last solution is expensive in comparison to the industrial power supply.

If you replace the original connector then there is no need to destroy the chassis drilling wholes into it.

There is a vendor offering industrial power supplies with the required 3 voltages for about 20 dollars.

Can you provide details, i.e. vendor and model

If you replace the original connector then there is no need to destroy the chassis drilling wholes into it.

But then you can't use the Roller Controller which derives power by being plugged into the original connector in the chassis.

The roller controller only uses 5v. The default mod for this device is to add a standard 5v power supply which is about $5. all coleco sites provides this information. The roller controller is very rare, too. I ve sold about 15 colecos and no one ever asked about it.

Specially as the connector is not standard. Most sold colecos do not have a power supply anymore. The best position from space is the position of the old jack as standard connector for power may be too large to fit into anorher location.

Having this on old position allows to not break the chassis which is essential for collectors.

But then you can't use the Roller Controller which derives power by being plugged into the original connector in the chassis.

I know it's not an ideal solution, but can't you just plug the old CV Power Supply into the Roller Controller adapter to provide the required power in the case you have a CV with a modded power connector as was mentioned above.

I know it's not an ideal solution, but can't you just plug the old CV Power Supply into the Roller Controller adapter to provide the required power in the case you have a CV with a modded power connector as was mentioned above.

it depend on the mod. If you want a standard connector to plugin a default cable then you must drill a big whole into the device which is a no go and hurts modders rules not to destroy something. The proposal from Colecovision site is to add one small 5V connector to the back and modfiy the roller devices connector as well. This is better than drilling big holes into it and you can do it in a way nobody notice it directly.

If you attach the new powersupply externally you have the problem of the Coleco Vision connector and you do it against law (in european community). Because if you add a housing to a device you create a "new device" which requires to be registered (expensive) and specially in case of a power supply you must add a device number which requires certification (VDE), that's very expensive. So if you do it at your own it is legal if you do not spread it but if you do it as a service you may get a fee if someone blames you.

Retromod if you feel a need to discuss your power mod, start your own thread please.

I am using all new parts and my cost is over $30. I am offering this power mod because it is safe for the customer. I am running 12VDC into the console, from a grounded unmodified 120VAC regulated transformer that outputs 12VDC. I would never offer a mod that inputed 120VAC into the case an put a customer at risk of being electrocuted. Installing a small DC female panel jack and leaving the original jack in place for plugging in the Roller Controller is very clean looking and professional, and does not cause a loss of functionality.

• Like 5

Retromod if you feel a need to discuss your power mod, start your own thread please.

I am using all new parts and my cost is over $30. I am offering this power mod because it is safe for the customer. I am running 12VDC into the console, from a grounded unmodified 120VAC regulated transformer that outputs 12VDC. I would never offer a mod that inputed 120VAC into the case an put a customer at risk of being electrocuted. Installing a small DC female panel jack and leaving the original jack in place for plugging in the Roller Controller is very clean looking and professional, and does not cause a loss of functionality.

sure the same if you order the power supplies... they are brand new and certified. If you get a coleco vision without power supply then you have no chance getting the original connector anymore. So the old connector is not required anymore. Golden rule for modding tells you to not break the old device so the only chance getting the right connector installed is within the old one (by replaceing them). I've had discussions with collectors and they do now like to see housing drilled or damaged by switches, additional connectors etc. As there is enough technology out there to prevent this it is only a manner of knowledge to implement it. the newest power led mod for example is not visible until you switch on the device descpite if it is an Atari, Coleco or whatever. Pause keys are hidden within other keys by adding addtiional logic to the mod using existing keys.

I much prefer Yurkie's approach, i.e. to keep the original connector. That way only ONE power supply unit is required to operate both the console and the roller controller. To me, this is the ideal solution.

I much prefer Yurkie's approach, i.e. to keep the original connector. That way only ONE power supply unit is required to operate both the console and the roller controller. To me, this is the ideal solution.

I do as well as lord knows I don't want anymore cables and power supplies running around my desk than I already have. Just pointing out that if you have another Power Supply mod that does change the connector on the back of the CV, you can still use the CV power supply attached only to the Roller Controller to power it. It's not the ideal solution, but it is one nonetheless.

I do as well as lord knows I don't want anymore cables and power supplies running around my desk than I already have. Just pointing out that if you have another Power Supply mod that does change the connector on the back of the CV, you can still use the CV power supply attached only to the Roller Controller to power it. It's not the ideal solution, but it is one nonetheless.

Except that the original power supply which is frequently faulty due to 1 of the 3 voltages not working...and about 3 out 4 times it is the +5v line that is bad.

I just received mine (I think I am the first, whot!)

It worked out well for me since I was having video issues with my Colecovision (It already has all of Yurkie's other mods), and I just sent it in. After Yurkie looked it over, he decided it was a failed power supply, So I had him mod mine with this since it was there anyways. I can tell you it is so nice to have my Colecovision back so me and the kiddos can play it again. The power supply is much easier to work with and now I feel between the RGB and power supply mod. On my 70 inch plasma the colors and sounds are very nice since I can hook things up via RGB

I have a Colcovision that will be able to be used for a long time. If you have a Coleco and wish to bring it as far as you can in this day, I highly suggest Yurkie's services!

• Like 2