IGNORED

Intellivisionaries episode 4 available!

Rick Reynolds

That's right! We built 100 units of each game and sold a fraction of that. CGE was a lot of stress. It was a lot of fun as well, but for the most part I was in a daze, overwhelmed by the excitement of releasing of the game, and then by the frustration of finding the bug.

I recall David Warhol playing Christmas Carol with a smile on his face. That was really nice. However, I also recall D2K being the star of the show. Mostly people came to play D2K and stuck around to play Christmas Carol. :) Overall, it was a great experience.

-dZ.

I think the show is fine as it is with it's lengthiness. It might go a tad too much at a time if it starts getting into the RgR monthly length though :).

I think CC just doesn't/didn't demo too well (for me at least) when i tried it at CGE12. It seemed nice but didn't grab me. It took multiple games playing for this year's contest (still need to submit) that the gameplay and design clicked for me. That and I'd already picked up D2K and Space Patrol while at the booth and needed to stretch the funds further. (Those drinks at margaritaville don't buy themselves!)

gavv

I think the show is fine as it is with it's lengthiness. It might go a tad too much at a time if it starts getting into the RgR monthly length though :).

I think CC just doesn't/didn't demo too well (for me at least) when i tried it at CGE12. It seemed nice but didn't grab me. It took multiple games playing for this year's contest (still need to submit) that the gameplay and design clicked for me. That and I'd already picked up D2K and Space Patrol while at the booth and needed to stretch the funds further. (Those drinks at margaritaville don't buy themselves!)

gavv

Frankly, I don't think that the game itself didn't demo well. In my opinion, there were too many competing elements in the show, and being mostly a "retro" event, people were gravitating towards the familiar. In this scenario, it is hard to stand out as an original title for a niche console (let's face it, most of the people passing by the LTO/Elektronite booth didn't even know what an Intellivision was).

D2K on the other hand, grabbed people immediately, presumably by being recognizable.

Add to that the whole "Christmas theme" in the middle of Summer (which more than a few people commented on when first encountering the game), and you have a title that was dismissed by most people on first sight as a silly novelty. (By your own admittance, you had other more pressing interests at the moment. ;) )

I still think the launch was a success--notwithstanding the bug. However, for future titles, I wouldn't try launching them first at such an event, unless there is a larger Intellivision audience or focus. I'd never been to CGE, but as soon as it started, it was evident to me that the Intellivision was but a tiny speck lost in the cacophony of other, more popular retro-gaming themes.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

I am about halfway through . Great job. You guys keep getting better and better Great interview with DZ love the insights to the game I cant wait to play it . I want to unwrap it early but I think my wife would get mad LOL

By the way, Intellfan, you can download the ROM for free and play a few practice rounds on your PC to get your score into the competition. Then on Christmas, when you get to open your present, you can play it on the console like it was always intended--and thus, still appreciate the gift from your wife and kids. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

By the way, Intellfan, you can download the ROM for free and play a few practice rounds on your PC to get your score into the competition. Then on Christmas, when you get to open your present, you can play it on the console like it was always intended--and thus, still appreciate the gift from your wife and kids. :)

-dZ.

Thanks DZ I have download Rom I am just not a big fan of playing on the computer. But I will get my score in after Christmas. do you have a prize for lowest score LOL. Thanks again.Have a Merry Christmas .

• Like 1

Thanks DZ I have download Rom I am just not a big fan of playing on the computer. But I will get my score in after Christmas. do you have a prize for lowest score LOL. Thanks again.Have a Merry Christmas .

I will say, that using one of the solutions available (I use the ultimate pc controller interface that intelligentvision made) for when i need to use jzIntv with original controllers, is really really nice and works very solidly. highly recommended

gavv

• Like 3

I think the only suggestion I could make is to do something to make the longer episodes more navigable. I had seen some podcasts that chapter their segments and a few others that upload a new image for each episode that displays time stamps for the show segments.

I do post a timeline of each episode in the Show Notes on our website:

http://www.intellivisionaries.com/show_notes_menu.html

I don't know how well that would work to make it part of the episode image - we do already change that to include a background of whatever game we're reviewing for that episode. A bunch of text would really clutter things up (although REV did a nice attempt at that).

But I will look into chaptering... off hand I don't know how that's done.

About podcast length:

I don't have to speak for Nurmix - he's on the forum also. But he's the one who takes on the burden of putting the show together each month from all the recording we do. I believe by making the choice to do a monthly podcast, we're optimizing his time to a degree. He only has to work on a podcast once a month. Because he's only editing once a month, he can spend the time to do the cool production stuff that marks our podcast. For example, he remixed our theme song this month to make it sound Christmas-y - which is very cool. If we published shorter episodes more often, I'm not sure that he would have the time to do that kind of thing.

Now he doesn't have to do that, of course. But this is the kind of podcast he wants to produce.

It also dovetails nicely with my sentiments as well. I really wanted to do deep dive analysis of these games. I don't see us doing that in a much shorter format.

Also, we've had 2 interviews per episode in each of the last 2 episodes. That really adds to the length as well, but I don't think that will be something we'll be able to maintain consistently. Some episodes will have one interview, some none.

Nurmix, if I'm talking out of my sleeve here and not representing your interests properly/accurately, go ahead and correct me.

All the above in mind, I really do appreciate when people chime in with feedback and ideas. I don't want to sound like I think we've got everything figured out and have no room to improve.

You summed it up nicely, Rick.

Frankly, I don't think that the game itself didn't demo well. In my opinion, there were too many competing elements in the show, and being mostly a "retro" event, people were gravitating towards the familiar. In this scenario, it is hard to stand out as an original title for a niche console (let's face it, most of the people passing by the LTO/Elektronite booth didn't even know what an Intellivision was).

D2K on the other hand, grabbed people immediately, presumably by being recognizable.

Add to that the whole "Christmas theme" in the middle of Summer (which more than a few people commented on when first encountering the game), and you have a title that was dismissed by most people on first sight as a silly novelty. (By your own admittance, you had other more pressing interests at the moment. ;) )

I still think the launch was a success--notwithstanding the bug. However, for future titles, I wouldn't try launching them first at such an event, unless there is a larger Intellivision audience or focus. I'd never been to CGE, but as soon as it started, it was evident to me that the Intellivision was but a tiny speck lost in the cacophony of other, more popular retro-gaming themes.

-dZ.

It didn't stop me from buying the "Special Edition" at the show, DZ!

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

I don't know how well that would work to make it part of the episode image - we do already change that to include a background of whatever game we're reviewing for that episode. A bunch of text would really clutter things up (although REV did a nice attempt at that).

I agree about super-imposing a detailed bit of text over the image - too cluttered to be readable on a small screen like a smartphone.

I'm pretty sure RGR puts their episode timeline into the textual description that comes along with the file - not sure if that's in the .mp3 tags or part of the podcast feed data. I think some podcast players superimpose the text description over the podcast artwork.

Chapters would be a cool feature, for sure. I'm not sure if that can be done with simple .mp3 files, though. We might have to move to a more complex data format, something that is designed for podcasting. It's an option, but I tend to want to keep things as future-proof as possible. That makes my vote for sticking with .mp3. But if multi-chapter .mp3 is a thing, then I'd be for it.

Don't spend too much time on it, I appreciate the efforts you guys are already making. Radio Free Nintendo used to do the chapters, and each one had it's own image, which was a nice touch, so I thought I would mention it and only because of how well done your production is.

Considering all the great music on your show, I appreciate you using the higher bitrate and the resulting fantastic sound quality. The show really is polar opposite of the (semi?) intentional low production value of RGRU, which is not slight to them as I love the low-brow approach as well.

Edited by Chuck D. Head

I will say, that using one of the solutions available (I use the ultimate pc controller interface that intelligentvision made) for when i need to use jzIntv with original controllers, is really really nice and works very solidly. highly recommended

gavv

I have one of those too (two, actually), but I have yet to try it. I always play the real console with a Cuttle Cart 3.

First off, Intellivionaries podcast is excellent. I've really enjoy all 4 podcast, especially love the "intellivision" music.

pboland - now i wish i would have gotten a set of your overlays. I like how you came up with your own process to laminate the overlays to make them feel authentic. You seem very proud of the laminator you made, that's very cool!!

DZ-Jay - I need to buy Christmas Carol, looks fun to play and beautiful looking game. Your interview was interesting and informative. You seem so enthusiastic for developing games. I love how you imagined the story. Can't wait for your next development.

• Like 3

DZ-Jay - I need to buy Christmas Carol, looks fun to play and beautiful looking game. Your interview was interesting and informative. You seem so enthusiastic for developing games. I love how you imagined the story. Can't wait for your next development.

Thanks! I'll try not to disappoint. And if the powers-that-be would pardon the plug, you can get Christmas Carol right now. You can purchase the complete-in-box collectible game, which comes with a full-colour glossy manual, two high-quality overlays, and a brand new cartridge shell; or you can download the ROM for free.

(Sorry Intellivisionaries!)

-dZ.

• Like 1

First off, Intellivionaries podcast is excellent. I've really enjoy all 4 podcast, especially love the "intellivision" music.

Thanks, Chad. Glad you are enjoying the podcast. I like to include a good selection of Inty music (played on real hardware - in most cases, my AV modded Master Component) in each episode, along with my original electronic music compositions.

I'm always on the lookout for more Inty chip tunes though - especially ones that utilize the ECS for the extra voices. So if anyone here has any to contribute, let me know.

• Like 1

Considering all the great music on your show, I appreciate you using the higher bitrate and the resulting fantastic sound quality. The show really is polar opposite of the (semi?) intentional low production value of RGRU, which is not slight to them as I love the low-brow approach as well.

Thanks Chuck. The higher bit rate (in our case 128 Kbps stereo) is about as low as one can go while still retaining acceptable "musical" sound quality. 160 Kbps would be better, 192 Kbps better still, but it all boils down to file size, and cost.

Given the average length of our episodes, I've had to increase our storage plan with Libsyn twice already. They work on a model of 'timed' finite space. You upload a show, and that much space is used for the next 30 days. After 30 days, the file is 'archived', and that space is freed up for another episode / file. In our case, now, we have 600 MB / month available to us. There aren't any bandwidth limitations though, so the show can be streamed as often as needed without any additional costs.

If I went with a lower bit rate, we could use a cheaper plan, but that's not something I intend to do.

And when I posted the short "Intros and Outros" mp3, which was just music, I went with 320 Kbps since I wanted the best quality I could get for the two songs. But that was an exception.

With RetroGaming Roundup, they use much lower bit rates, and their mp3s are also usually in mono, for those same reasons (they're also on Libsyn). But that issue aside, the RGR content is so well put together and entertaining that it is still an enjoyable show - although it does bother me a bit when a music segment comes on. I feel like I'm listening to an AM transistor radio.

• Like 1

I made it all the way to the end! Finally.

OMG! I'm in the Interwebz!!! Fame and fortune will surely follow now... :lol:

dZ.

Awesome interview DZ. I haven't played your game, but I did look at the videos you had on your website. It looks great. I love the animation of the main player dying.

I look forward to the next podcast guys.

• Like 2