IGNORED

Space Patrol ROM?

DoctorTom

IntvNut, as you can see above I understand what you mean about work. That is why I appreciated all the help you gave in helping me with the Intellivision terminal program when we managed to get the Intellivision to call a BBS (Computer Bulletin Board System) and get on the #Atari IRC (chat room) over a modem. It is also why I suggested an alternative on the Space Patrol Teaser since I know time is scarce for you.

I admit, the "non-stop teaser" mode does sound interesting. The engine isn't really set up to make that work very well internally, though. Each "world" has some world-specific init, and you'd have to call that. But, you'd also need to skip resetting the score and number of lives. That said, it doesn't seem like all that challenging of a hack.

The source code for the teaser is available at the spacepatrol.info website. :-) I think most (all?) of the necessary hacking needs to be done in game/gameloop.asm. Specifically:

MVI     POINT,  R0
            CMPI    #10 SHL 3, R0
            BNC     @@notafterz

; After Pt. J, go to the teaser game over screen w/out continues.
@@afterz:   CALL    TEASER_END

MVII    #@@title, R5
            B       FINALOVER

Instead of calling TEASER_END here, you'd need to increment COURSE (valid values are 0-7), and then do many of the steps starting at WORLDMENU_RET earlier in the code. This code is what initializes the world:

WORLDMENU_RET:

SETISR  JRR5
            CALL    LOADCRP 

CALL    INITMEM.0
            INIT    LMCNT,      0
            INIT    LMCHAR,     0
            INIT    FDROP,      0
            INIT    LIVES,      3
            INIT    CONTS,      2
;           INIT    LIVES,      0
;           INIT    CONTS,      0
            INIT    CURBON,     0
            INIT    TIMSEC,     0
            INIT    TIMTIC,     31
            INIT    EBSY,       1
;           INIT    GRATE,      0
;           INIT    WANTVL,     $90
            INIT    MOBHIT,     1
            INIT    POINT,      0
            INIT    SCORE,      0
            INIT    SCORE+1,    0
            INIT    PSCOR,      0
            INIT    PSCOR+1,    0
            INIT    DEFSCO ,    0
            INIT_DONE

MVI     COURSE, R3
            ADDI    #WINDEX,R3
            MVI@    R3,     R3
            MVO     R3,     RCIDX
            MVO     R3,     RCLVL
            SWAP    R3
            MVO     R3,     RCLVL+1

CALL    INITLVL

IF (DEFINED SKIPHUT) = 0
            MVII    #4,     R0      ; \_ prepare to show "hut"
            MVO     R0,     EMODE   ; /
 ELSE
            MVII    #1,     R0      ; \_ Go straight to in-game
            MVO     R0,     EMODE   ; /
 ENDI

B       @@cont

If you don't mind your score resetting between fragments, you could probably just replace CALL TEASER_END with B WORLDMENU_RET. If you want to retain your score / number of lives between segments, then you need a different init block that doesn't reset SCORE, SCORE+1, LIVES and CONTS. (CONTS is "continues".)

Do not skip the calls to LOADCRP and INITLVL.

Edited by intvnut

Are there any plans to re-release Space Patrol as a a CIB game or only as a ROM?

The past few times I've asked this question on the LTO web site, I was told that there were plans to do so but the when was always a question. The LTO order page still reads 'Temporarily Unavailable' for Space Patrol. Fortunately, there is one man in these here forums that can set record straight. Even if the price goes up a bit I'd still buy one. I'd rather my money go to the programmer than to Joe Opportunist on eBay.

Edited by bikeguychicago

YES, there are still plans for another Space Patrol CIB re-release. I know it's been quite a while, but it will happen. I'm not giving any dates, and I'm not taking any pre-orders. At best, I'm collecting email addresses of people to notify when it's available. And that's it. I don't want anyone's money until I have it ready to ship.

I do have one project that has preempted SP. :-) But never fear, I'll come back to SP.

I haven't released the full Space Patrol game as a ROM yet, I know. I do still plan to.

I'm actually working on another Intellivision project right now (not Space Patrol related), but when that's wrapped up, I'll be able to focus back on Space Patrol. I do want to make one last batch of CIB Space Patrols available, and once that sells out, make the ROM available.

The last couple years have been a bit, erm, interesting at work, and that's kept me from my Intellivision stuff. I do have something very interesting coming though. Hopefully it'll be worth the wait.

I will really look forward to the full Space Patrol ROM release. Thank you.

YES, there are still plans for another Space Patrol CIB re-release. I know it's been quite a while, but it will happen. I'm not giving any dates, and I'm not taking any pre-orders. At best, I'm collecting email addresses of people to notify when it's available. And that's it. I don't want anyone's money until I have it ready to ship.

I do have one project that has preempted SP. :-) But never fear, I'll come back to SP.

If we are interested, should we PM you here with our email address or through the contact form on the order site?

If we are interested, should we PM you here with our email address or through the contact form on the order site?

Either works. Just send me your proper email address if you could. I don't plan to send AA PMs; rather, I'll send a broadcast email.

I will also, naturally, post here on the AA boards. I just won't send AA PMs.

Edited by intvnut

Either works. Just send me your proper email address if you could. I don't plan to send AA PMs; rather, I'll send a broadcast email.

I will also, naturally, post here on the AA boards. I just won't send AA PMs.

If there only were an "announce" mailing list for LTO... :ponder:

-dZ.