IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Season 1 Round 5 Gyruss

zylon

Our game for the week is Gyruss. Play on default settings using stock systems and controls.

Round ends Monday, December 30th 2013 around 7am EST, when I get home from work.

I'll start the next round early, like I did this time.

Current HSC record: Bust it for a bonus point!

Gyruss -
doctorclu 279,850
Final scores:
239,950 peedenmark7 +11
136,200 sdamon +10
124,000 darthkur +9
75,000 Red Tide +8
74,650 roadrunner +7
53,900 zylon +6
11,300 RangerG +5
Standings:
darthkur - 44
sdamon - 40
Red Tide - 32
roadrunner - 26
peedenmark7 - 23
atariron82 - 22
RangerG - 20
zylon -17
JacobZu7zu7 - 9

Edited by zylon

Had to replace the up/down pot on my stick. For some reason, it wouldn't work with this one game. :?

When I first picked up Gyruss over the summer, I had a similar issue. I could only rotate through the lower half of the screen. I've been using a Best Electronics rebuild, so I assumed it was something with my 5200. I ended up opening her up and adjusting one of the pots under the hood to dramatic improvement. I had to use a combination of Missile Command, Star Wars, Breakout, and Gyruss to make sure everything was centered and working. It seems like Gyruss is one of the more sensitive games.

Any game that has clearly marked stages, a la the letter bar on Moon Patrol or the march of the planets in Gyruss, is just too tempting for me... I submit my improved score:

I also would like to meet the person designing Gyruss who said, "Let's just skip Pluto. It's not like it's a real planet. I bet it'll be knocked off the list in less than a generation."

post-34643-0-65202000-1388190679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Red Tide

When I first picked up Gyruss over the summer, I had a similar issue. I could only rotate through the lower half of the screen. I've been using a Best Electronics rebuild, so I assumed it was something with my 5200. I ended up opening her up and adjusting one of the pots under the hood to dramatic improvement. I had to use a combination of Missile Command, Star Wars, Breakout, and Gyruss to make sure everything was centered and working. It seems like Gyruss is one of the more sensitive games.

Any game that has clearly marked stages, a la the letter bar on Moon Patrol or the march of the planets in Gyruss, is just too tempting for me... I submit my improved score:

I also would like to meet the person designing Gyruss who said, "Let's just skip Pluto. It's not like it's a real planet. I bet it'll be knocked off the list in less than a generation."

Good catch and no, I never thought about that. Time has caught up to the game then. ;)

Looks like I'l have to push for a PB if I'm to avoid last place this round...

Edited by zylon

I've tied my best score twice this week, had one better, no pic. I either run up 200+K scores or the half of it... I don't know what the heck my stumbling block is, I'm frustrated playing on my 2 port ,and though this is one of my faves, enough is enough. Either way it is no record breaker which irks me further.

On the up side , I finally figured out Qix while taking a break from this round :)

post-28653-0-70151100-1388377255.jpg

peedenmark7 takes the win with an awesome score for OE controls. :thumbsup: Thanks to all who are making this tourney a success. :) Our next round: Defender is already in progress. To me, this port is the hardest one.

Final scores:
239,950 peedenmark7 +11
136,200 sdamon +10
124,000 darthkur +9
75,000 Red Tide +8
74,650 roadrunner +7
53,900 zylon +6
11,300 RangerG +5

Congrats, peedenmark7! Thumbs of steel!

Thanks Champ !

Yea, this one is one of those games where your thumbs numb then turn to jell-o. Feels like I smacked my thumb real good with a hammer :(

It's also one where if you play it hard enough you'll ruin your gold flex circuits from mashing the fire button so much..

I don't mind rebuilding ,provided I've made it worth my while by breaking a record to do so..

Thanks Champ !

Yea, this one is one of those games where your thumbs numb then turn to jell-o. Feels like I smacked my thumb real good with a hammer :(

It's also one where if you play it hard enough you'll ruin your gold flex circuits from mashing the fire button so much..

I don't mind rebuilding ,provided I've made it worth my while by breaking a record to do so..

I still use the 3-dot carbon rubber buttons even on the gold flexis. It does far less damage over time. :)

I still use the 3-dot carbon rubber buttons even on the gold flexis. It does far less damage over time. :)

I am in the process of making that switch.. Both the old and the gold ones get mushy over time anyway. Either way I am constantly taking the controller apart, no big whop to clean the contacts if it saves the flex circuit.

I am in the process of making that switch.. Both the old and the gold ones get mushy over time anyway. Either way I am constantly taking the controller apart, no big whop to clean the contacts if it saves the flex circuit.

So far, my old Rev-7 stock circuit is just fine in my regular-play stick. :)