IGNORED

XB Racing

1980gamer

Here is my second attempt at a racing game.

This is early, as in, I started a hour ago. No collision detection or sound yet.

Thus it runs way to fast for overdrive. Nothing to slow execution. Run in straight XB.

Should I continue.... Ultimately, I'd like to do a full scrolling course. But I would need some major help!

Be well,

Gene

RACING.zip

• Like 3

Here is a newer version.

It now has a linear acceleration / Brakes

If you change direction, you will skid until you normalize in the new direction. If you spin the car 180 degrees, it will take a few clicks to reverse direction.

Braking will help this. The Q key or joystick button should be the brakes. No joystick to test this.

You can play with the top speed and acceleration. I use 2 and 1 but you can increase these values.

Speed should be greater than/equal to Acceleration. You can play with the settings.

Gene

RACING.txt

• Like 1

Thanks unhuman,

That is the effect I was looking for.

I like to let you play with the settings to see what happens.

I would really like to add the pixel perfect sprite to background collision detection.

Add a few check points, lap counter and timer.

Of course... Sounds.. Engine, breaks and skidding.\

• Like 2

Looks very promising :) The car handling is great. I hope you will turn it into a full game!

It is pretty good with 2/2, but 2/1 is like driving on ice :lol:

Edit: BTW - tried it out on the real iron last night (F18A enhanced) - looks great. I even tried to compile it using Harry's XB compiler, got no errors, but it still didn't run right :(.

Edited by RobertLM78

It is pretty good with 2/2, but 2/1 is like driving on ice :lol:

Edit: BTW - tried it out on the real iron last night (F18A enhanced) - looks great. I even tried to compile it using Harry's XB compiler, got no errors, but it still didn't run right :(.

I was thinking of compiling at some point, but without sound etc. to slow things down...

When you say it doesn't run right.. I am guessing the car turns way to fast to handle?

I was planning to slow it down...By a factor of 10. ( for the compiled version ) but multiples are easy.

I'll add variables that can be tested, to figure out a good turning speed setting.

I was thinking of compiling at some point, but without sound etc. to slow things down...

When you say it doesn't run right.. I am guessing the car turns way to fast to handle?

I was planning to slow it down...By a factor of 10. ( for the compiled version ) but multiples are easy.

I'll add variables that can be tested, to figure out a good turning speed setting.

Actually, the compiled version just gives me a green screen :(. I have probably done something wrong though, considering that nothing I've compiled so far seems to work - they all either give a green screen or just lock up the computer.

Actually, the compiled version just gives me a green screen :(. I have probably done something wrong though, considering that nothing I've compiled so far seems to work - they all either give a green screen or just lock up the computer.

Hi Robert:

Why don't you post something you've compiled that doesn't run. I will take a look and find out why it is not working right.

Hi Robert:

Why don't you post something you've compiled that doesn't run. I will take a look and find out why it is not working right.

Heya Harry -

Thanks for the aid - I've been pretty excited to see something compiled. In addition to RACING, I've tried these two XB programs without success:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95921622/DECTOHEX-XBS

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95921622/HEXTODEC-XBS

Like I said, I'm probably doing something wrong, or have over-looked some detail... :dunce:

I looked at the first program and found a couple of unsupported things:

390 ACCEPT AT(5,10)VALIDATE(DIGIT)BEEP SIZE(5):DEC

From the manual:

ACCEPT works almost exactly like it does in XB. AT, BEEP, ERASE ALL, SIZE and VALIDATE are all supported with one difference: VALIDATE requires that you provide the string expression. UALPHA, DIGIT, NUMERIC are not supported.

So this line should be:

390 ACCEPT AT(5,10)VALIDATE("0123456789")BEEP SIZE(5):DEC and it should work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the manual:

IF-THEN-ELSE will only work with line numbers, like in TI BASIC. The more advanced XB style of IF-THEN-ELSE is not supported. Being able to use multiple statements in a line provides ways to partially work around this limitation:
10 IF X>3 THEN Y=7::Z=19 can be changed to:
10 IF X<=3 THEN 20::Y=7::Z=19

There are a lot of lines that use the XB style of IF-THEN-ELSE. For example:

510 IF DEC>=T(15)THEN BN15$="1" :: DEC=DEC-T(15)
520 IF DEC>=T(14)THEN BN14$="1" :: DEC=DEC-T(14)
530 IF DEC>=T(13)THEN BN13$="1" :: DEC=DEC-T(13)

If you change all these to something like this then the program should work:

510 IF DEC<T(15)THEN 520::BN15$="1" :: DEC=DEC-T(15)
520 IF DEC<T(14)THEN 530::BN14$="1" :: DEC=DEC-T(14)
530 IF DEC<T(13)THEN 540::BN13$="1" :: DEC=DEC-T(13)

The difference may seem subtle, but it is important! When using IF-THEN-ELSE think in TI BASIC and you'll be OK.

-------------------------------

I'm not sure what happens with ON WARNING NEXT. I think it would be ignored, but that might have to go as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now that's all I can see. Doctor up the program and try again. If it doesn't work re post and I will take another look. FWIW, that program could be written four times smaller if you felt like taking that on as a challenge.

Harry

• Like 1

I looked at the first program and found a couple of unsupported things:

390 ACCEPT AT(5,10)VALIDATE(DIGIT)BEEP SIZE(5):DEC

From the manual:

ACCEPT works almost exactly like it does in XB. AT, BEEP, ERASE ALL, SIZE and VALIDATE are all supported with one difference: VALIDATE requires that you provide the string expression. UALPHA, DIGIT, NUMERIC are not supported.

So this line should be:

390 ACCEPT AT(5,10)VALIDATE("0123456789")BEEP SIZE(5):DEC and it should work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the manual:

IF-THEN-ELSE will only work with line numbers, like in TI BASIC. The more advanced XB style of IF-THEN-ELSE is not supported. Being able to use multiple statements in a line provides ways to partially work around this limitation:

10 IF X>3 THEN Y=7::Z=19 can be changed to:

10 IF X<=3 THEN 20::Y=7::Z=19

There are a lot of lines that use the XB style of IF-THEN-ELSE. For example:

520 IF DEC>=T(14)THEN BN14$="1" :: DEC=DEC-T(14)

530 IF DEC>=T(13)THEN BN13$="1" :: DEC=DEC-T(13)

If you change all these to something like this then the program should work:

520 IF DEC<T(14)THEN 530::BN14$="1" :: DEC=DEC-T(14)

530 IF DEC<T(13)THEN 540::BN13$="1" :: DEC=DEC-T(13)

The difference may seem subtle, but it is important! When using IF-THEN-ELSE think in TI BASIC and you'll be OK.

-------------------------------

I'm not sure what happens with ON WARNING NEXT. I think it would be ignored, but that might have to go as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now that's all I can see. Doctor up the program and try again. If it doesn't work re post and I will take another look. FWIW, that program could be written four times smaller if you felt like taking that on as a challenge.

Harry

Awesome! I will make these changes and then try again - thank you Harry :D.

I should have looked more closely at the program - of course it didn't help that I had forgotten about how the compiler handles IF-THEN-ELSE. Good advice to just think TI BASIC ;). It seems there's a certain style with which to approach a program that will be compiled - just takes some getting used to :). Compiling these converters should speed them up significantly.

Harry -

The IF THEN flow is a little bit confusing, but certainly seems to be an opportunity for a learning moment:

Does the above line do DN15="1" and then DEC=DEC-T(15) and then fall through to line 520?

If the line was changed to:

510 IF DEC<T(15)THEN 540::BN15$="1" :: DEC=DEC-T(15)

Would this skip lines 520 and 530 but still process the DN15="1" and DEC=DEC-T(15) ?

Thanks - Howie

• Like 1

Harry -

The IF THEN flow is a little bit confusing, but certainly seems to be an opportunity for a learning moment:

Does the above line do DN15="1" and then DEC=DEC-T(15) and then fall through to line 520?

If the line was changed to:

510 IF DEC<T(15)THEN 540::BN15$="1" :: DEC=DEC-T(15)

Would this skip lines 520 and 530 but still process the DN15="1" and DEC=DEC-T(15) ?

Thanks - Howie

The mods to the program should make it work just like it did originally. Consider the original line:

If DEC is <T then it falls through to line 520. If DEC is > or = to T then BN15$ will = 1 and DEC will = DEC-T(15) and then it falls through to line 520.

Now the modified line:

If DEC is <T then the program is sent to line 520. If DEC is > or = to T then BN15$ will = 1 and DEC will = DEC-T(15) and then it falls through to line 520 as before. So the end result is the same.

You can think of the double colons as additional line numbers something like this:

510 IF DEC<T(15)THEN 520

511 BN15$="1"

512 DEC=DEC-T(15)

520 more code...

Of course, you cannot GOTO a double colon like you could GOTO 511

The original XB program could be tightened up (what program can't be improved) but that's a different subject.

• Like 1

New updates.

Added collision with walls. Still tweaking this a little.

Added course selection. Many possibilities here. Course 1 and 3 are the first 2 courses. 2 and 4 are a little different but are holders for now.

This work well with overdrive. 4 input values. I like 2,2,3, 1 or 3 no overdrive.. 2,2,10, 1 or 3.

I have compiled, it works fine. I need to change the power slide / acceleration parameters. Compiled, it recovers toooo quickly.

I can live with it.

I have a bunch of ideas for this. Course designs are welcome!!!

Do you like the thin line, or wider walls? The wider walls are truer representation of collision....

RC.txt

• Like 2

Hey - loving this. Good wholesome XB fun!

I am fooling around with some stuff at the moment and the player action in mine is kind of similar to yours. I didn't use any CALL MOTION though and instead used CALL LOCATE which has its own execution speed challenges (running too fast!). I am using X / Y coordinates and trying to take advantage of the way the compiler forces integers. In other words - I update screen positions using CALL LOCATE (#1,Y/10,Y/10). The sprite position will not change unless there is a minimum increase/decrease of +/-10. This means I can add smaller amounts to the coordinates and slow things down by up to 10 times if needed. I guess I am just re-creating a decimal point which has one position.......

I have attached my compiled version so you can see the effects. You might enjoy playing with the Custom Menu numbers by entering different values and seeing the speed change - there is some flexibility there to go very fast or very slow using this method and CALL LOCATE. If the XB listing is of interest I can post.

There are no brakes in my controls. Left and right arrows change the direction you are facing and the up arrow pushes you in that direction, a little like Asteroids I guess.... I like that you can rotate while power sliding then hit the thrust to get going again!

SLIDES-C.zip

Edited by Bones-69
  • Like 1

Here is a pretty good update.

It's been a little while, I had some emulation issues...

Anyway, This version let's you visually select tracks. Joy stick left/right to look at them, fire/Q to select.

The tracks have check points now. If you miss a check point, the course will turn blue until you pass a valid check point again.

I also count laps.. 5 laps complete the race. I also store best times per course. ( session only of course )

I have also added very fine tuning of he car's turning rate. I use 720 slices of a circle.. This lets you pick 1-90 for .5 to 45 degree turn rate.

On the lap clock, for every tick, a turn tick occurs. so, selecting 1 would take 90 cycles to turn the car one position of the 8 possible directions.

I would like to add car sounds... but I am not very good a sounds :( It would let me fine tune the power slide of the car. I don't want to put useless delays in...Sounds are better.

Any engine sounds and skidding sounds are welcome!

Good night.

Gene

zip contains XB and Compiled versions

RCGL-C.zip

• Like 2

Looking great so far! I love the ability to choose a track, and the layout of these tracks is very nicely thought out. I used to play Sprint 2 http://youtu.be/RuPEoLkVwtI at the arcades back in the early 80's for hours, and this project brought back a lot of good memories (and some frustration as well :D).

A few observations:

• Under plain XB without overdrive, the car does not respond well at all to the joystick. It worked fine with the first version of the game, so you must have changed your joystick polling timing since then. No issues with the compiled version.
  • The car moves much slower when going up-down or right-left, and much faster diagonally. You might want to introduce a correction factor to the sprite speed for the orthogonal directions in order to even things out.
  • A speed of 2, acceleration of 1 and turn rate of 15 seem to give the best results in the compiled version.
  • Collision detection seems to work fine for me with the above settings, however I suggest reducing the "stuck" time at the track borders in order to enhance play. Also, I would add code to limit the sprite travel to the screen so as to avoid a fatal error and crash the program.

Excellent work! I can't wait to see how this game develops :) If interested, I would be happy to design an algorithm for opponent cars AI since racing against oneself is not ideal :-D

Edited by Vorticon
  • Like 1